GWT: PL Matchweek 5

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not motivation at all; though I could see someone who does t understand the game thinking that.

It's purely stylistic. Klopp's approach is very effective against teams that don't just sit back and defend because his teams are about forcing press traps, transitions and tempo. You don't see any of that against the parking, defensive teams.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Would you guys say Aguero's Premiership career surpasses Thierry Henry's at this point?

Nope, has a ways to go.

LITN, I feel like Aguero doesn't get talked about much here for a few reasons: 1. We have no City fans on this forum. 2. He can often be silently effective. For example, he scored 20 goals last year and I didn't even realize. 3. He tends to score in clusters (from my recollection, I'm way too exhausted to go look at his week-to-week scoring rates).

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's not motivation at all; though I could see someone who does t understand the game thinking that.

It's purely stylistic. Klopp's approach is very effective against teams that don't just sit back and defend because his teams are about forcing press traps, transitions and tempo. You don't see any of that against the parking, defensive teams.

I didn't know I was talking to a professional soccer player. Please share more of your intelligence Mr. Alpha Hendo is top 5 midfielder, Liverpool is amongst the elite teams in the world, We won't lose to Burnley. In fact were going to win by 2 or more and stupid Liverpool cool aid crap you spew on here.

You give Liverpool supporters a bad rep.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Would you guys say Aguero's Premiership career surpasses Thierry Henry's at this point?

Thierry Henry won the most golden boots in EPL history, had a season where he had 24 goals and 20 assists, has the most assists in one season and has won more than Aguero.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
No, but Aguero is definitely massively underrated on this forum.

True, at the club level.

Internationally he is probably the biggest underperformer. (In before an argentine fan suggests Higuain, despite Higuain having a far superior scoring record)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I kid you not, two weeks ago, "OMFG, man we're going to score like 4 goals per game!!!!".

~ signed every LFC fan.

Today? 1 goal on 35 shots coming from the worst finishing forward on the squad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I'm sorry. If Ancelotti becomes available, I would bring him in at Klopp's expense in a heart beat. He wanted to come the last time that the job was open. Maybe he still wants to give it a go. Liverpool will never win a league with Klopp.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's possible. He has severe issues with breaking down parked teams (which is very important in the PL since mid and low table teams wear 'surviving' by playing 10 men in the box like a badge of honour) though Ancelotti isn't doing anything special with Bayern.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Looks like Ozil is set to miss tomorrow's match. We're pretty ****ed imo. I would bus park, but Arsene wouldn't do it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's possible. He has severe issues with breaking down parked teams (which is very important in the PL since mid and low table teams wear 'surviving' by playing 10 men in the box like a badge of honour) though Ancelotti isn't doing anything special with Bayern.

Bayern has their own issues. Ancelotti has won the PL and every other league he has managed in too.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You give Liverpool supporters a bad rep.

There are some posters who give Arsenal supporters a pretty bad rep too.. To be honest, on average I find the Liverpool supporters on here to be the most level-headed (with honourable exceptions)

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

My first thought was, 'not a chance'. Comparing the two's goalscoring records through their first six respective seasons in the league, however, the results were closer than I expected.

In that timeframe, Aguero has fifteen less goals from twenty-four fewer games. In terms of team silverware, Henry leads five-four. (Mind, Henry's seventh and eighth seasons were fruitless, so from the cup-counting perspective Aguero can hardly do worse between now and 2019).

While Aguero's injury issues are well-documented, it shouldn't be forgotten that Henry's achilles began troubling him late in the 2003-04 season. So he, too, wasn't always playing fully healthy. Which leaves his achievements at the time looking still more remarkable. Henry had practically the perfect build for a forward. Aguero doesn't, and no doubt helped the Frenchman cope with the physical demands of playing at the top level better, in addition to assisting his style of play. (Remember, too, that from 1999 through to 2003 the European Cup round of sixteen stage was six-game round-robin rather than the present day's two-legged knockout. So players back then necessarily needed that little extra physical endurance for their teams to progress deeper in Europe).

Outstanding as Aguero is, I haven't felt as though he dominated the league the way Henry did for that sustained period between early 2002 and 2006.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not even sure anymore that Xhaka is good enough to even play in this league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad