GWT: PL Matchweek 5

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Serious question. What center forward can they get that is a legitimate upgrade on Firmino though?

Mario-Balotelli-at-Melwood-on-August-25.jpg

:sarcasm:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have a question about smaller clubs and while Tottenham is certainly not a super club I haven't seen them play this style like Swansea has with 11 in the box and zero effort to score.

Arlo White said "Swansea fans will take pride in their teams performance." They had two clear hand balls, one other iffy one, a clear penalty and a crossbar. They had zero chances to score and really zero threats at all. Is that really a game to take pride in? Is it just get the result and who cares how it comes by?

I understand there is zero reason to go head to head with the bigger clubs but today at least Burnley attempted at times to score. If they had played the same way with out the clear penalties maybe I can see see some respect for supposed good defensive play but hard to say they did that when the defensive play relied on clear penalties not called?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I have a question about smaller clubs and while Tottenham is certainly not a super club I haven't seen them play this style like Swansea has with 11 in the box and zero effort to score.

Arlo White said "Swansea fans will take pride in their teams performance." They had two clear hand balls, one other iffy one, a clear penalty and a crossbar. They had zero chances to score and really zero threats at all. Is that really a game to take pride in? Is it just get the result and who cares how it comes by?

I understand there is zero reason to go head to head with the bigger clubs but today at least Burnley attempted at times to score. If they had played the same way with out the clear penalties maybe I can see see some respect for supposed good defensive play but hard to say they did that when the defensive play relied on clear penalties not called?

Every point counts for relegation battle teams.

And I thought Salah was supposed to magically solve Liverpool's problem with teams that park the bus.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Every point counts for relegation battle teams.

I guess my point was more the "taking pride" in the performance. I understand being happy with the point and the result but to me that taking pride comment from Arlo is a level above just hoping for non-relegation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And I thought Salah was supposed to magically solve Liverpool's problem with teams that park the bus.

I don't think anyone said this.

I really hope the soccer board on here doesn't turn into an unapologetic troll fest this season.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't think anyone said this.

I really hope the soccer board on here doesn't turn into an unapologetic troll fest this season.

The lesson is to not say stupid things if you can't take it.

I'm not saying you but just in general we've seen some god awful stupid things said in here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They played two teams that parked the bus. Beat one drew the other. Nothing to freak out over exactly.

Also their problem was more along the lines of not scoring against them at all. Which Salah did today.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They played two teams that parked the bus. Beat one drew the other. Nothing to freak out over exactly.

Also their problem was more along the lines of not scoring against them at all. Which Salah did today.

I disagree. Liverpool should have been able to win that game 1-0. The problem is opponents are converted their shots on targets into goals at an alarming rate. Sure they should score more but they have proven that they will have these games.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The lesson is to not say stupid things if you can't take it.

I'm not saying you but just in general we've seen some god awful stupid things said in here.

I think everyone says stupid things, including myself :)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Looking at Liverpool's games this season:

Arsenal and Crystal Palace were shut out with a combined 1 shot on target. Cool. Here are the other games.

LFC vs Burnley

Shots 5
Shots on Target 4
Goals 1

LFC @ Man City

Shots 13
Shots on Target 10
Goals 5

LFC @ Watford

Shots 9
Shots on Target 4
Goals 3

Opponents are scoring roughly 50% of their shots on target vs Liverpool. Not only that, but the majority of shots being given up are on target. That is not nearly good enough and it's a bad recipe.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To be fair, add Mane in the mix today and I think you get all three points. But the point does stand. With the shots being from the outside, it's a bit deceiving, but they did have a lot of chances today. It's a disappointment, but not the end of the world. I think it's a sign that the club and the manager need to get more used to the many matches they're going to play and better integrate. They made a ton of changes to freshen up the side today, still attacked pretty well, and didn't exactly play a bunch of mugs. Burnley aren't awful. They've given some clubs fits (beat Chelsea, drew Spurs) so all in all, it's ok. They're not going to swashbuckle their way to the title this season and in reality they will probably struggle to make it on all fronts, but it's still really early.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I disagree. Liverpool should have been able to win that game 1-0. The problem is opponents are converted their shots on targets into goals at an alarming rate. Sure they should score more but they have proven that they will have these games.

I'm not worried about them scoring goals. They are beating the parked bus portion of the equation. I am massively more worried about them giving up a goal every single time a team goes forward. Then meanwhile they go and play Arsenal and don't give up a single scoring chance.

I do not understand this. At all.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not worried about them scoring goals. They are beating the parked bus portion of the equation. I am massively more worried about them giving up a goal every single time a team goes forward. Then meanwhile they go and play Arsenal and don't give up a single scoring chance.

I do not understand this. At all.

It's motivation. You see this in all sports where a team gets really pumped up facing a top team. It's very difficult to maintain that mental intensity and motivation every game.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs contingent was very quiet today. Must have been a snoozer. I honestly didn't watch though.

Missed the game since I was at work. Maybe I should be thankful for that. Not being able to break down Swansea on a large pitch is embarassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00