GWT: PL matchweek 4

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t want to be an apologist, but he was ok first half to me and looked like he faded severely as the match wore on. Gini also did him no favors and looked pretty meh. That has something to do with who they were playing more so than the player, but I’m also a bit surprised Klopp has ridden the top guys this much. I guess he wants them to play into form. He knows better than me, but they all look a bit tired. Hope some don’t play much over the break.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As someone in that very thread pointed out you can easily find isolated incidents of every player. Also Gini was fine. The whole team looked a bit off today and Shaqiri was awful.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Shaqiri was awful at winning corners, retaining possession, and killing the game by getting fouled? Give me a break. He did his job and the game came back under control.

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except he didn't retain possession. He coughed up the ball multiple times in a very short cameo, he didn't do anything of note defensively and the best thing he did was one time getting a corner. The rest of the team killed the game he looked pretty poor assisting in that.

Anyway again most players were off today. Wijnaldum had one really bad play that nearly led to a chance and put us under pressure. Henderson and Milner both looked pretty pedestrian. Keita didn't really do anything of note after coming on. TAA looked tired and off all game. Salah has been pretty pedestrian in general since the start of the season. Firmino lost almost every ball in attack. Alisson cost the team a goal. Only really van Dijk, Mane, Robertson and Gomez showed up today. The thing is we still won and while Leicester had some good pressure I dont remember any real dangerous chances. Our defence has become a really strong point of the team. It's nice.

We've seen countless seasons of top teams pulling out wins with listless performances while we always found a way to drop points in similar games. Brighton and Leicester hopefully represent a new trend for this team and a platform to bounce off for when we actually do show up firing on all cylinders.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah you’re wrong on Shaqiri. His job was to come on, run, slow up play and give an effort. He did.
I'm glad that all you expect of a player on the team is to 'run and give some effort'. He didn't really slow much and it was a 1 goal lead, but if all you expect of him is to be on the pitch then yes he was there.

Again losing the ball multiple times that could have led to dangerous counters and doing nothing on the ball when he was involved isn't exactly a good performance in my book.

Reactions: All Might

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sure it was not an unreal game for Liverpool, but hey, you won and are 4-0. Enjoy it, it's only going to get more stressful :p

Reactions: YNWA14

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Haven't seen the Hammers game but starting the season 0-4 has "battling relegation 'til last gameday" written all over. This club never disappoints to disappoint.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Typical Arsenal fashion......Xhaka forces that switch up and Cardiff come back with one right before the break...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ugh. When people were writing Arsenal will have it the easiest of the "top" teams this round, this is exactly what I couldn't help but envision

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ugh. When people were writing Arsenal will have it the easiest of the "top" teams this round, this is exactly what I couldn't help but envision

Well it wasn't wrong that they have the easiest opponent. But if you keep starting Xhaka and ask Cech to play the ball, this is what happens anyways.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Again the main bright spot in the first half was Guendouzi. Kid shows poise far beyond his age. Looking forward to watching him grow over the years.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If only Arsenal had a new GK and DM to play instead of Cech and Xhaka.... oh wait!

With Cech I almost get it, cause him being one of the greatest GK's in Prem history. So sure maybe he gets some more leeway....BUT Xhaka? Come on!

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
With Cech I almost get it, cause him being one of the greatest GK's in Prem history. So sure maybe he gets some more leeway....BUT Xhaka? Come on!

That's fair and he's made some good saves this season so far. But it's obvious that you either need to switch the tactics and stop asking him to play the ball out of the back or put Leno in instead.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
thank the lord. I think I just heard them say that was only Auba's second goal scored from outside the box (out of 109 total)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
thank the lord. I think I just heard them say that was only Auba's second goal scored from outside the box (out of 109 total)

Didn't hear it as I have the volume on low, but that wouldn't surprise me. He earns his money getting in behind and poaching inside the box, and you don't see him take many long range attempts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad