GWT: PL matchweek 4

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So if United lose this game , is Mourinho out?

Doesn't sound like it from what I've read.

I know that soccer teams often are crazy fast with firing guys but if there is nobody to bring in is there a point in firing him now?

I guess maybe they think it is such a toxic environment that him out is better even if the replacement is not great but I think firing him for the sake of firing him without a real plan in place is just likely to continue the struggles.

Now if they do have a plan in place to bring someone in then obviously this point in the season still allows more than enough time for them to have a successful year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Arsenal's defense is mediocre and they have a lot of mental lapses over a 90 minute game. Its an area that needs to be improved and I honestly think it is on its way to becoming better. Our offense is top notch and we are definetely having a better season than Man U thus far.

I would say the midfield and goaltending is mediocre (and that is a kind description of the defense) as well and for the better season than Man U you are likely even on points after the United game today with everyone talking about how it has been a nightmare season from them.

I think the fact that Arsenal fans keep trying to spin it back to United and avoid talking about Spurs, Chelsea, City, Liverpool speaks volumes about their chances for top 4.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I know that soccer teams often are crazy fast with firing guys but if there is nobody to bring in is there a point in firing him now?

I guess maybe they think it is such a toxic environment that him out is better even if the replacement is not great but I think firing him for the sake of firing him without a real plan in place is just likely to continue the struggles.

Now if they do have a plan in place to bring someone in then obviously this point in the season still allows more than enough time for them to have a successful year.

Is there no one to bring in?

Zidane seems to be the flavour of the week --- and he's anything but unavailable.

Maybe there is a plan in place , maybe there isn't- I dunno. I don't follow the club that closely.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would say the midfield and goaltending is mediocre (and that is a kind description of the defense) as well and for the better season than Man U you are likely even on points after the United game today with everyone talking about how it has been a nightmare season from them.

I think the fact that Arsenal fans keep trying to spin it back to United and avoid talking about Spurs, Chelsea, City, Liverpool speaks volumes about their chances for top 4.
Arsenal played City at home and Chelsea away. Very few teams will find points in those games.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Zidane seems to be the flavour of the week --- and he's anything but unavailable.

Maybe there is a plan in place , maybe there isn't- I dunno. I don't follow the club that closely.

My question about Zidane is whether or not he is a good fit for the team right now.

I think the squad needs more of an overall (if they want to be a top level club competing for the title and CL titles) than Zidane might be willing/able to do.

Now maybe this is unfair to Zidane since he has a short tenure as a manager and it wasn't like Real was in need of that type of changes but Zidane to me seems to be a guy you bring in when your club is ready and he is there to manage the big egos and be a guy that tell a player like Pogba to pipe down and play his role.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Arsenal played City at home and Chelsea away. Very few teams will find points in those games.

Sure but they looked bad in both those games as well. It wasn't just the dropped points it was basically every concern that people had about Arsenal being evident in those games.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Again this is not me saying that United is great just that they are better than a weak Arsenal squad.

On paper sure Man U is probably the better team. but there tactics are negative and the players do not get utilized to their best ability so I would not be surprised if they finish below Arsenal. And yeah you did not say that Man U is better, but you did say that Arsenal is the worst in the top 6 and for us fans, Man U is likely the easiest point of contention

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Think Trippier is going to have a big game. Playing as a wingback and he always does great against Watford.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Arsenal is clearly on a level below Pool and City; Spurs and Chelsea are better but beatable.

Reactions: S E P H

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't believe Arsenal will get top 4, nor am I confident they'll finish ahead of United, but United has undoubtedly looked worse so far. At least Arsenal has won the games they were supposed to (barely) and looked ok against Chelsea, while United lost to Brighton and also looked shaky against Leicester.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Blanc. Blanc. Blanc. Blanc. Blanc.

He’s who I’ve wamted since LVG was gone.

Reactions: KJS14

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brighton and also looked shaky against Leicester.

Hey now, if there is anything I have learned from being the son of a Brighton fan and cheering for them myself, is never sleep on the Albion especially when they have the channel breeze at their back. But other than that I agree with everything you said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad