GWT: PL Matchweek 3

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Coming into the season I was confident that City, Liverpool and Tottenham would finish top 4.

So , it's tough... I think Chelsea's talent might be getting overlooked here.

Hazard
Kante
Kovacic
Jorginho
Azpilicueta
Willian

I mean, those are damn good players.

Rudiger, Kepa , Morata, Emerson , Christensen , Barkley, Loftus-Cheek all have the potential to significantly improve as well , and their development/production will likely set the floor and ceiling for how successful their season will be.

Then you toss in Pedro, Luiz, Giroud, Fabregas et al ... It has to be said, it's an extremely talented squad as well.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mata is an experienced leader IMO. I see Lukaku talking a lot on the field.
And then you have plenty of low key guys we don't even know they are leaders.

Your captain is Hugo Lloris, a man of few words. But when he does speak, it impacts.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spurs have a better D than United (though Bailly is a quality player). Rest overall I'd take United. Only Eriksen and Kane are clearly starters for United. Mata, Sanchez, Pogba, Herrera, Martial are all quality players who are underperforming. De Gea is better than Lloris too right now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well originally I was going to say top 4 but they just finished 2nd. Everyone is complaining but I think its obscuring the fact that their roster isn't that great. Again I've not said that their players are all awful, but its relative. Their roster is just not better than City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs or even Arsenal. Mourinho got a lot out of that roster last season but we know his coaching style is unsustainable.

You're a United fan. You really think they have a better roster top to bottom then those other 4? If not then of course they shouldn't be guaranteed a top 4 spot which is all I'm saying.

I think the complaints about Mourinho's style are very legitimate. I cant stand watching his teams either. But those complaints come out even more when he's not getting results which, for the most part, he was last season.

I think our squad is better than Arsenal’s. From a talent standpoint and in how it’s built. I think United, Chelsea and Tottenham are pretty similar level teams and coaching will be what separates those 3.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think our squad is better than Arsenal’s. From a talent standpoint and in how it’s built. I think United, Chelsea and Tottenham are pretty similar level teams and coaching will be what separates those 3.
I agree for the most part. If I had to choose, unbiased, I think that Chelsea and Tottenham have better teams but not so much better that coaching can't make a difference. I think United are probably better than Arsenal but closer to them than the other two.

They are not a clear top 3 team though and I think regardless of manager they'd have to fight for top 4 and not be a shoe in.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Spurs have a better D than United (though Bailly is a quality player). Rest overall I'd take United. Only Eriksen and Kane are clearly starters for United. Mata, Sanchez, Pogba, Herrera, Martial are all quality players who are underperforming. De Gea is better than Lloris too right now.
I believe there are only 2, perhaps 3 at most, United players who would replace someone to get into Spurs 11

Reactions: YNWA14

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I believe there are only 2, perhaps 3 at most, United players who would replace someone to get into Spurs 11

These exercises are always tricky , because who knows how some of United's talent would look under Poch instead of Mourinho. (and vice versa)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
IMO Utd atm are a banter club/Club in crisis.

This is mainly down to the Alexis Sanchez transfer - they were cruising before that move. It demoralized and threw their former best player (Martial) under the bus. Before that, they were having a helluva season.

Wenger's parting gift.

Reactions: S E P H

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

This is mainly down to the Alexis Sanchez transfer - they were cruising before that move. It demoralized and threw their former best player (Martial) under the bus. Before that, they were having a helluva season.

Wenger's parting gift.

Reminder that Martial had three Manchester United POTM awards last season before the Alexis transfer.

Reactions: All Might

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Would Big Sam really be any less pragmatic than Mourinho at the people wincing? Seriously, I never liked Mourinho even as a Chelsea fan while we were winning. Thank f*** we had players like Lampard and Drogba and Robben and Cole and a majestic Terry that were fun to watch because he even made our team boring.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Reminder that Martial had three Manchester United POTM awards last season before the Alexis transfer.
Yup, exactly.

He scored in like 3 consecutive games in January then the rumors began of Alexis. The rest is history.

Now Mourinho-stans are saying he sucks.

Reactions: Big Kahuna

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
To note is that both goals Spurs scored yesterday within like three minutes were because of the exact same attacking sequence. Trippier has the ball, Shaw presses high, Eriksen runs behind Shaw where there now is acres of space and plays a ball into the box. First time it led to the corner in which Kane scored from and the second time it led to an immediate goal from Lucas.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Wenger's parting gift.

:biglaugh: Pogba was the best United player before the transfer. Martial had already shown huge inconsistencies in his performances before January.

Anthony Martial - Performance data 17/18

5 games scoreless before scoring against the mighty Stoke city, Everton and Burnley. His problems began long before Sanchez joined the club.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I think Alli would be a clear starter as well.

And the problem with looking at it so simply as just a straight match is that it ignores how much better the Spurs guys that would start are compared tot he United players and the United guys are all very close.
I think De Gea, Matic, Pogba and maybe Martial could start but Matic and Martial would be very close with Dembele and Moura and really is a toss up.

I think at best United has the 4th best roster this year and at worst 5th. They are clearly better than Arsenal and I would say behind Chelsea but I will give them some credit for finishing 2nd last year to allow for the possibility that it is better.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
On paper Chelsea's starting XI blows United's out of the water.

Hazard > Sanchez

Morata < Lukaku

Willian > Lingard

Kovacic < Pogba

Jorginho > Fred

Kante > Matic

Alonso > Young

Luiz > Lindelof

Christenson > Bailly

Azpi > Valencia

Kepa < De Gea

United probably don't have the necessary talent to compete at the highest level, but Mourinho had this same squad level with City through the first couple months last season. Unfortunately over the course of last season he destroyed the confidence of every single CB in the squad.

United might not be able to create much offensively right now but make no mistake they are struggling due to their defence. The same defence that Jose had performing as the league's best throughout most of last season (6 goals conceded in the first 13 league fixtures) he has destroyed in time for his third season meltdown (7 goals conceded in the first 3 fixtures).

It's easy to blame the players for being substandard but when you look at how much they've declined/stagnated under the manager it becomes clear how much he's exacerbating the problem.

Reactions: S E P H

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Here's my long take on Manchester United:

Everyone is to blame. There is no single player or person that doesn't hold blame for this team. Ed Woodward didn't do his job well enough. There are still players that do not belong at this club. There are still huge holes in the team. They are obviously missing an elite ball playing CB, they have a passable RB, they have no RW right now, and very little quality depth all around. Ed Woodward holds part of the blame. Jose Mourinho is playing awful football. He is playing everything so negative and defensively that it is just astounding that a club as big as Manchester United. In his defense they are missing some key pieces but they do have some major players that should be able to play positive. They still don't have a plan in attack but that changed a little bit last game so maybe Carrick is having a say in that but at the same time, they have been just embarrassing defensively. They need to find their identity under Mou or get rid of him. There should be no in between. It doesn't matter how bad they are doing, they are and will always be a major club. They should be forcing themselves on other teams, not allowing their opposition to do whatever they want to them. Every player holds blame too. The only player that has been consistently good this season has been Luke Shaw. That is really saying something in a team with the likes of Paul Pogba, David De Gea, and Romelu Lukaku. Personally if I had a say, I would let go of Mou and hire Laurent Blanc to replace him. I would move Woodward to strictly the business side of things and hire Paul Scholes in the DOF position. Blanc would have them playing a possession style which would help hide their defensive weaknesses. It would allow the team to get the best out of Pogba, Fred, Alexis, and Lukaku. I would allow Blanc and Scholes to decide who should stay on this team and who should let go. I would think that most of this team would be let go honestly. I could see Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Marcus Rojo, and Mateo Darmian let go from the defense next summer. They would start Shaw-Bailly-Lindelof-Valencia and have Dalot, Young, and TFM cover. I think that they would bring in a RB and a CB if Shaw can continue his form. In the midfield, let go would be Juan Mata and Marouane Felliani. I think that this is the place where the most is figured out. A Pogba-Matic-Fred midfield should work. Pereira, McTominay, Lingard and Herrera is fine cover for this team. They might want to bring in someone with some experience but I think that this could work with the players kept. At forward it's a little less obvious. I don't think you can give up on Lukaku, so his spot is pretty much guaranteed. They need to make a choice or transition one of Martial, Rashford, or Alexis to be a RW. Someone has to go here and a player that can cut in on their left foot is needed bad here. Personally my lineup would look something like:
Alexis-Lukaku-Martial
Pogba-Matic-Fred
Shaw-CB-Bailly-RB
They then bring in someone like Verdi/Neres/Cornet for depth at forward, Tielemans/Trigueros/Jankto for depth at mid, Hysaj to platoon with Dalot for RB, and just throw money at Inter until they give you Skriniar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad