GWT: PL Matchweek 3

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yup 100%. We’re talking about the guy that waited until the last day of the transfer window to buy Felli and ended up paying more than his release clause would’ve been a week prior. That’s all that needs to be said about Woodward.

Honest question - does Woodward have a really good relationship with the Glazers? He must, because based on performance reasons, there's zero reason he should still be in the position he's at with United. I get that something of a rebuild was going to have to occur once Sir Alex left; that was not a squad built to succeed in the following years under a different manager. But that was in 2013. Five full seasons have played out now, as well as the start of this season, and all United has to show for their post-Alex time is one appearance in the QF's in the Champions League, a round of 16 exit, a group stage exit, two years missing out entirely, with one Europa League win that came in no small part because it was the Europa League, they weren't finishing in the top-4 in the PL, and that was their only chance at the Champions League. Also an FA Cup and a League Cup, I guess.

But for a club of your stature, that's peanuts. Chelsea and City have, and are continuing to, run circles around you. You guys have spent so much time catching up to Liverpool's trophy cabinet and, once you factor in the Champions League, still aren't there but Liverpool's a lot closer to winning their 6th European Cup than you guys are to winning your 4th. I'm not trying to wind you up and sorry if I'm failing in that attempt, but I know there's no way this stuff sits well with you guys so there has to be another reason.

--

Mind you, I can totally relate to inept Glazer control. I'm a Buccaneers fan. The Glazer's own the Bucs. The Bucs have the longest playoff drought in the NFC and the second longest playoff drought in the NFL (and since I'm not entirely sure the Browns should count, it might as well be the longest). We're the worst team on the NFC entering play this season as well and the NFC is loaded right now. The Bucs might still be closer to their last playoff appearance than they are to their next for all I know. We change the coaching staff, we overhaul the roster, we fire the front office, and somehow the only consistencies are being sold that "we're going to be better this year, just watch!" only for us to be utter crap for the nth year in a row. So if the Glazer's similarly inept crap is what's poisoning you guys over there, trust me, I understand.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Honest question - does Woodward have a really good relationship with the Glazers? He must, because based on performance reasons, there's zero reason he should still be in the position he's at with United. I get that something of a rebuild was going to have to occur once Sir Alex left; that was not a squad built to succeed in the following years under a different manager. But that was in 2013. Five full seasons have played out now, as well as the start of this season, and all United has to show for their post-Alex time is one appearance in the QF's in the Champions League, a round of 16 exit, a group stage exit, two years missing out entirely, with one Europa League win that came in no small part because it was the Europa League, they weren't finishing in the top-4 in the PL, and that was their only chance at the Champions League. Also an FA Cup and a League Cup, I guess.

But for a club of your stature, that's peanuts. Chelsea and City have, and are continuing to, run circles around you. You guys have spent so much time catching up to Liverpool's trophy cabinet and, once you factor in the Champions League, still aren't there but Liverpool's a lot closer to winning their 6th European Cup than you guys are to winning your 4th. I'm not trying to wind you up and sorry if I'm failing in that attempt, but I know there's no way this stuff sits well with you guys so there has to be another reason.

--

Mind you, I can totally relate to inept Glazer control. I'm a Buccaneers fan. The Glazer's own the Bucs. The Bucs have the longest playoff drought in the NFC and the second longest playoff drought in the NFL (and since I'm not entirely sure the Browns should count, it might as well be the longest). We're the worst team on the NFC entering play this season as well and the NFC is loaded right now. The Bucs might still be closer to their last playoff appearance than they are to their next for all I know. We change the coaching staff, we overhaul the roster, we fire the front office, and somehow the only consistencies are being sold that "we're going to be better this year, just watch!" only for us to be utter crap for the nth year in a row. So if the Glazer's similarly inept crap is what's poisoning you guys over there, trust me, I understand.

I would assume they have a good relationship. He brings in so much money for the club it’s not even funny. He’s probably one of the best marketing minds in the world right now. But obviously he has 0 footballing brain and can’t combine the two parts of the job.

I want to keep him here because he has the ability to basically let us spend whatever we want to but keep him on the business side of things. Bring in a director of football and let him deal with the football side of things and let Woodward make money. I think that’d be a huge step in the right direction. Oh and sacking Mou :D

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I would assume they have a good relationship. He brings in so much money for the club it’s not even funny. He’s probably one of the best marketing minds in the world right now. But obviously he has 0 footballing brain and can’t combine the two parts of the job.

I want to keep him here because he has the ability to basically let us spend whatever we want to but keep him on the business side of things. Bring in a director of football and let him deal with the football side of things and let Woodward make money. I think that’d be a huge step in the right direction. Oh and sacking Mou :D

I honestly wouldn't have known about Woodward's business acumen or even that doing that is something he was responsible for over there. I would think having someone doing work on both the business side and the playing side would be spreading them thin. That doesn't seem like a recipe for success from what I'm familiar with. I know in North America these duties are usually divided in front offices and I would've just assumed the same over there.

So thanks for clueing me in on that. The dude isn't worthless by any means, but he's obviously miscast. But those can lead to the same net effect ultimately and that seems to be the case here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So thanks for clueing me in on that. The dude isn't worthless by any means, but he's obviously miscast. But those can lead to the same net effect ultimately and that seems to be the case here.

Nah he’s just worthless on the footballing side. He’s brought in so many sponsorships and so much money that you can’t just get rid of a guy like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad