GWT: PL Matchweek 24/25

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
We would be better off with two orange traffic cones on the field than Mustafi and Lichtsteiner

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Spurs injury and form issues could mean the return of St Totteringham's day?
no
going to be a long time until that happens again imo, especially if spurs ever start spending to the level that arsenal does/has.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So finished the Untied game on tape delay.

Beautiful cross by Shaw that should have set up a United opener but Rashford headed it too high. Rashford made up for it a couple minutes later with that excellent first touch and finish off the Pogba pass.

Sanchez was poor again. Essentially invisible in the first half and start of the second, but then started playing very poorly when United were on the counter from ~50-65 mins. Martial wasn't amazing in replacement, but did what he needed to and his pace sheltered that side more.

Pogba was excellent in the first half and start of the second, struggled a bit for about 15 mins in the second but came alive again at the end and all but killed the game off with an excellent run and drawing the foul.

De Gea was De Gea. Made 6 saves. 4 were routine, one against Vardy was good, and the one on the FK was excellent.

Matic has improved significantly under OGS, he's still clearly not the player he used to be, but he's no longer a liability on the pitch, seems to have found his legs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Funny that I was told by multiple peoples Wolves wouldn't be a team competing for a possible Europa spot.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
D.Suarez was absolutely terrible. He looked like a child playing against men.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought Arsenal looked quite good considering the loss. I am not trying to pass any blame from Emery/staff, but the entire defencive line is from Wenger except for Benedict Cumberbatch. Holy hell was he bad today, every goal came from his side I believe, especially the first two (first one was Iwobi's fault though). He wouldn't be playing if it wasn't for Bellerin's injury though. It isn't just him, Mustafi was a Wenger buy and we all know how brutal he is. Not only that Kos has always been gone, Wenger never replaced him, and Monreal just came back from injury.

I blame Emery for not getting a defender here on loan, but when you're limited to loans so are your options as well. Lets just hope we ship everyone out and get a "X - X - Sokaratis - Bellerin" for next year. I am not opposed to play Monreal as LB, but if we can upgrade him I wouldn't mind either since he's following suit to being labelled as injury prone. A high-caliber CB though is a must need. The defencive line is so bad and that a child can see it that I honestly don't judge them anymore because I would sound like a broken record. Lacazette and Auba were weak today, considering that Man City isn't exactly amazing in either CBs or CDM except for Laporte, I thought they could've taken more of an advantage of that. Oh well, onto the next game.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't blame Emery for taking it a bit slow. This is a tank ship needing to be turned. I'm guessing come next Deloitte report Spurs are now generating more money than Arsenal. So you got a bloated wage bill and very limited high end talent. There is no quick fix here. Comprehensive change is needed. Which requires patience as there isn't a lot of cash available.

So far I think Emery has done surprisingly well. And I think Torreira and Guendouzi have shown a lot of promise early on. Not a bad start to get something new going. And maybe Holding could be one of those defenders? Obviously I don't watch Arsenal week in and week out, but he has looked quite OK when I have watched them this year.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
About Arsenal's defense... I mean, okay, Mustafi isn't exactly world class, but he can be adequate, when put in the right situation.

That situation is not Lichtsteiner (who is obviously past playing top tier football) getting absolutely destroyed by City every time the ball came to his side.
Iwobi didn't exactly help either, losing the ball on the first goal like that.

Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of work to do, but if they're healthy (Bellerin included) they're a better side than what they showed yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad