GWT: PL Matchweek 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Still dont know how Brighton didnt get that penalty. Riedewald pretty clearly made contact with Montoya.

Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
it's wild to see some Arsenal fans suggest that Kronke is the "worst owner in sport" when these types of deals have occurred. Yeah you've got some legit beefs with him, but he's miles away from the worst.
On the other hand, Kroenke has a track record of mediocrity across multiple sports and is a lying asshole. Plus, many of those deals were funded through sales and wage bill decreases, plus were spread out so that they can be funded with revenue.

Reactions: AB13

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Can we not talk about this garbage anymore? Talk about the games, this stuff gets old quickly. I get tired of all the threads getting derailed by a select group of posters.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can we not talk about this garbage anymore? Talk about the games, this stuff gets old quickly. I get tired of all the threads getting derailed by a select group of posters.

There's even a Spurs/Arsenal thread just for this type of talk. Not sure why this talk keeps derailing every other PL thread.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Great play by Brighton gets them the lead they should have had a while ago.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Potter has come in and done wonders for us! The football is attractive, effective, and each signing he has brought in has had amazing immediate effects on the squad!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My goodness is Maupay connected there, would have been an unreal way to end the derby.

Overall really exciting game, I think we deserved the 3 points, we just lost concentration for a brief period and it costed us! I'll take the point though!

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
What a game for a neutral on a Monday afternoon. Even Craig Pawson couldn't really ruin it. 2nd half was a big improvement from both sides.

Reactions: robertmac43

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
hope City do us a favor by beating Leicester this weekend :D
They will. Honestly City have been the better team in most of their games this season. Them dropping points at the rate they are isn’t going to continue.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
A lucky CL final run that they will never repeat again, while finishing 27 points off top spot. They finished one point above Arsenal last season and are 4 points ahead now, despite Arsenal enduring their worst form in four and a half decades. If that is another stratosphere to you, something is very wrong.

I'm not a Spus fan, don't get me wrong, but Spurs are now a top club still on the way up. Still keeping their best players, always in the CL, going past the group stage for the 3rd year in a row. They got a good core, they are a legit desirable place for players and they just got a marquee manager.

Meanwhile, Arsenal dwelling in the Europa Leaague, will probably miss out even on that next season, their squad is a hot mess, they don't seem to have a plan in place and players are looking to jump ship rather than go there.

And unless something drastic happens, neither trend is changing anytime soon - Arsenal dwelling in mediocrity, throwing money at any player who will come from the "B" list, while Spurs have survived the Poch burnout without losing anyone (yet) and are now even a bigger thing with Mou there.

Yes, it's a different stratosphere.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm not a Spus fan, don't get me wrong, but Spurs are now a top club still on the way up. Still keeping their best players, always in the CL, going past the group stage for the 3rd year in a row. They got a good core, they are a legit desirable place for players and they just got a marquee manager.

Meanwhile, Arsenal dwelling in the Europa Leaague, will probably miss out even on that next season, their squad is a hot mess, they don't seem to have a plan in place and players are looking to jump ship rather than go there.

And unless something drastic happens, neither trend is changing anytime soon - Arsenal dwelling in mediocrity, throwing money at any player who will come from the "B" list, while Spurs have survived the Poch burnout without losing anyone (yet) and are now even a bigger thing with Mou there.

Yes, it's a different stratosphere.

I do not agree, I think Sp*rs players overaceived because of youthful optimism and good coaching a few years ago, something that has faded away. The players all loved Pochettino, he had a philosophy that all the players believed in and was someone they would fight for their lives for. Most of their players have regressed massively over the past few years, they are doing worse and worse in the League and they still don’t have the pulling power of a big club to lure players in, something that both Arsenal and United have over them. Sp*rs are not making the Champions League next season, probably not Arsenal either, but Sp*rs don’t have the young talent that Arsenal have to lead them through their rebuild that will be needed very soon.

Vertonghen, Alderwiereld, Lloris, Eriksen and Rose, all key pieces to their team that had a bit of “success” in recent years are all likely finished at Tottenham and will need replacing soon( success for a small club like Sp*rs, most clubs don’t consider winning nothing as success). They will be very hard to replace, I can’t see many top players wanting to join such a small club. Kane is not a top striker anymore, his regression has gone along with the whole teams decline. Mourinho will probably do well for them in the short term, maybe finish in the top 3, win a Cup and make it to the quarters or semis of the CL, but after a few years he will probably lose the plot and leave the club in a worse state than he found it in, as he usually does.

Arsenal have some of the best young talent in the world and very good pieces to build around, but it will require a long rebuild before we can challenge for the biggest titles again, I agree.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Sp*rs are not making the Champions League next season

Mourinho will probably do well for them in the short term, maybe finish in the top 3, win a Cup and make it to the quarters or semis of the CL, but after a few years he will probably lose the plot and leave the club in a worse state than he found it in, as he usually does.

Which is it then?

I think your bias doesn't let you see things objectively. I mean, you can't even spell Spurs without it showing. :D

None of these Spurs players are there "by accident", they're all quality players in different stages of their careers.
And saying Kane has somehow regressed, what's the about?

Few weeks ago they were 14th or something. Now they're 5th and they could leapfrog Chelsea with a win on Saturday.
They've gotten high profile players like Ndombele and GLC in the summer (neither have actually worked out yet, but plenty of teams wanted them). Whether you want to admit it or not, yes, the Spurs are a top destination for players right now.
Not in the tier of Madrid or Barca, but certainly a tier above Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad