GWT: PL Matchweek 11

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So stepping on someone is okay as long as they don’t go down?
He didn't step on him, their shins clashed slightly. Deulofeu took another step, and instead of planting his right foot down which he absolutely could have, he tossed himself to the pitch. It didn't even throw him off balance, it was a blatant dive.

skpAuxZ.png

ZV7OmVB.png

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
First he draws a line that's onside but then draws another one to make it offside :huh: Like I said earlier some are just to tight for VAR to decide and they should just let the ref decide, which in this case wouldn't have changed the outcome since the linsesmen put his flag up. But I think this is a serious problem that need fixing

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
First he draws a line that's onside but then draws another one to make it offside :huh: Like I said earlier some are just to tight for VAR to decide and they should just let the ref decide, which in this case wouldn't have changed the outcome since the linsesmen put his flag up. But I think this is a serious problem that need fixing

I said it before. PL refs shouldn’t be in the VAR booth. They don’t want to over turn each other and make each other look bad. I thought both Firmino and Trezeguet had legit goals. But if one was on sides, so was the other one. The PL refs aren’t conspiring against specific teams, but I 100% believe they are trying to sabotage VAR

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also their champions league groups have been weak.
I have spoken before with a former European Club Level Soccer player (who has played in Champions League) and was convinced those draws were rigged in general. Not saying City is rigging the draws, but saying it wouldn’t be a surprise if it was rigged in general.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I have spoken before with a former European Club Level Soccer player (who has played in Champions League) and was convinced those draws were rigged in general. Not saying City is rigging the draws, but saying it wouldn’t be a surprise if it was rigged in general.

Like the previous year when the Liverpool vs Roma draw was released before the draw?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Like the previous year when the Liverpool vs Roma draw was released before the draw?
There are many examples. Carabao Cup used to pre-record their draws and have had to re-do them before airing the results. Nothing would shock me. 2018 is not the only example of draw results leaking out either. Not the first time and won’t be the last time.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I said it before. PL refs shouldn’t be in the VAR booth. They don’t want to over turn each other and make each other look bad. I thought both Firmino and Trezeguet had legit goals. But if one was on sides, so was the other one. The PL refs aren’t conspiring against specific teams, but I 100% believe they are trying to sabotage VAR

There’s no reason to believe there’s some conspiracy to hold up offsides calls given that even the most ardent PL official will admit its one of the hardest calls in sports and they get some wrong simply because it’s humanly impossible to correctly make the judgements they make in real time.

It’s also absurd to believe this given that one of the more senior PL officials (Mike Dean) overturned a call for a penalty today despite it being absurd.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He didn't step on him, their shins clashed slightly. Deulofeu took another step, and instead of planting his right foot down which he absolutely could have, he tossed himself to the pitch. It didn't even throw him off balance, it was a blatant dive.

skpAuxZ.png

ZV7OmVB.png

Sorry I was referring to Mane’s yellow card.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There’s no reason to believe there’s some conspiracy to hold up offsides calls given that even the most ardent PL official will admit its one of the hardest calls in sports and they get some wrong simply because it’s humanly impossible to correctly make the judgements they make in real time.

It’s also absurd to believe this given that one of the more senior PL officials (Mike Dean) overturned a call for a penalty today despite it being absurd.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I don’t agree with you. Conspiracy may be a harsh word, but there is some human nature here. The majority of calls are still not getting overturned.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I watched a condensed highlights version in youtube (about 20 minutes long) of the Liverpool/Villa match and they didn't show the Firmino goal that was nullified. Hmm...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I watched a condensed highlights version in youtube (about 20 minutes long) of the Liverpool/Villa match and they didn't show the Firmino goal that was nullified. Hmm...

I noticed this immeadiately.
If you watched what I watched they didn’t show Engels handball in the box either.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I noticed this immeadiately.
If you watched what I watched they didn’t show Engels handball in the box either.
This was NBCSports too. Maybe they know they blew the call and didn't show it. I don't normally watch these though so there could be other examples of this from other matches.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This was NBCSports too. Maybe they know they blew the call and didn't show it. I don't normally watch these though so there could be other examples of this from other matches.
You are not wrong in your assessment. It’s really strange they completely omitted it when, for example, other networks like BT dove into it. If Liverpool don’t get 3 points, that is a MAJOR talking point. I don’t usually watch for other teams but it is not the first time I’ve watched an extended highlight and thought something important was missing

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The word you are looking for is persistent. Consistently keeps working to get the results they need. Doesn't quit like other teams.

It's only a small detail, but Robertson's reaction to the equaliser was telling to me: no self-aggrandising celebrations (hello Jonjo Shelvey, don't spend all the proceeds of the undeserved contract extension your goal yesterday will help you get in one go); no foolish running into the goalmouth to waste time barging the opposition to get the ball; he wheeled off, and urged his teammates back to their half as quick as possible so they could resume the game and set about winning it. A late equaliser it might have been, but he sent the message to everyone else around him that they shouldn't settle for a single point.

The argument for Liverpool being 'lucky' I suppose, sits on Villa having a couple of times sprung the offside trap in the second half without capitalising. I'd argue that McGinn sending his through ball too close to Alisson, allowing him to come off his line to clear the danger, and Hourihane's failure to deliver the necessary pull back from the touchline are better described as basic failures of execution. Both players are inexperienced at the highest level, and Hourihane is a capable journeyman rather than a player of high quality. A failure to keep their composure at a vital moment is hardly uncommon among players of their level.

No doubt Liverpool aren't firing on all cylinders this season. If opponents don't exploit that, it's their problem.

Reactions: YNWA14

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
As for Newcastle United, satisfying as it is to beat the sum total of Daniel Levy's genius and Manchester United (deceased), it's teams like West Ham they need to beat if they are to avoid relegation (and avoid the impression that the players only deliver in the high-profile games you don't need a manager to motivate you for).

Mind, the manner of the victory isn't sustainable: Clark and Fernandez aren't going to score every week. Shelvey, who did some things well, scored his first free kick at this level ever from attempt number 31 and, in truth, his effort should have been saved. So the line about lightning striking is best applied.

Almiron and ASM caused the Hammers fits, supported by Yedlin. But not every team has a full back pairing as vulnerable to pace as Cresswell and the 94-year old incarnation of Pablo Zabaleta. And West Ham, no matter how much they promise, simply can't seem to shake off being a hit-and-miss outfit whose jaw turns to glass at inopportune moments.

Bournemouth at home will be interesting. Bruce will do well not to be made to look silly by Eddie Howe.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If Leicester beats Arsenal next week, they will be 9 points ahead of them. The top 4 could be wrapped up soon.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If Leicester beats Arsenal next week, they will be 9 points ahead of them. The top 4 could be wrapped up soon.

Leicester sure knows the right seasons to be lucky.

Terrible team, terrible manager and yet get some bogus calls to get you points while the top 6 teams are having bad seasons has been a recipe that worked for them in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad