GWT: PL Matchweek 10

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well so then the problem was the 'context' and not the actual word.

Farcical and complete double standards.

The Suarez story proportion went well beyond this Cavani situation. Many opposite fans were trashing out on LFC fans for defending him. It was ugly and the FA did punish Suarez very severly.

Obviously context matters. I have outlined that in this thread several times already - anything wrong with those examples? The "n-word" isn't racist when a black person says it to another black person. So clearly a word in itself cannot be racist when even the clearest example of a "racist word" isn't in itself racist.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Negrito and the N word aren't the same though. As Evilo said though the context matters, using it the middle of a game trash talking someone is far different than thanking someone. I think Cavani shouldn't be using the word regardless if it's offensive or not because here we are not really sure how offensive it is or isn't.

Obviously context matters. I have outlined that in this thread several times already - anything wrong with those examples? The "n-word" isn't racist when a black person says it to another black person. So clearly a word in itself cannot be racist when even the clearest example of a "racist word" isn't in itself racist.
Not according to the FA. I generally agree with you. But the FA doesn’t/or at least hasn’t considered context previously.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

The Suarez story proportion went well beyond this Cavani situation. Many opposite fans were trashing out on LFC fans for defending him. It was ugly and the FA did punish Suarez very severly.

I'm sure you can find a JUSTICE4LUIS t-shirt on e-bay if it makes you feel better

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Okay so then the problem was never the word used by Suarez. It was the big drama that surrounded the event, got it. Clear in my mind.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Whether or racist or just ignorance, what has transpired over 2020 would tend for me to believe that he will be disciplined in some way.

In terms of Jiminez, what a just brutal injury and Luiz going off at halftime just highlights how far behind the sport is in terms of concussion protocol. Kramer stumbling around in 2014 final was nearly 6 and half years ago. Not much has changed since.

Reactions: Blender

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I'm sorry that context matters? If we want to compare it to the N word then Cavani used it in a way that is socially acceptable when black people say it. The way Suarez said it was meant to be degrading and offensive. I don't understand why it's hard for you to understand that these are two very different situations.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The way Suarez said it was meant to be degrading and offensive.
How do you know? The only thing we know it was used in a football game to Evra. That's it. Acceptable? The FA said no. Now we await their decision with Cavani. For the record, I expect nothing out of it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You don't get it.

LFC handled this very wrong BUT the double standards over this inoffensive word is hilarious.

it's not a double standard. No one is saying he's RIGHT to use it

The difference is whether he gets a game or 5. It's intent. The only people who can't understand this are a small contingent of Liverpool fans who are trying to somehow score settle a decade old issue.

Bernardo got a game. Cavani probably should get one too if they want to be consistent

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

The difference is whether he gets a game or 5. It's intent. The only people who can't understand this are a small contingent of Liverpool fans who are trying to somehow score settle a decade old issue.

Bernardo got a game. Cavani probably should get one too if they want to be consistent
Finally, you can see my view.
It is double standard. Suarez should have known better but the backslash he got over all of this was absurd.

As for my opinion Cavani should also get nothing because this is a friendly word in Uruguay.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I’m not trying to settle an old issue. I think it’s interesting to see what the response will be ten years later, especially after the Bernardo thing.

y’all are being very defensive though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

So when a black guy tells another black guy the N word, is it racist? Or does context MATTER?

Reactions: Havre

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m not trying to settle an old issue. I think it’s interesting to see what the response will be ten years later, especially after the Bernardo thing.

Very defensive? Everyone here says he shouldn't have said it. and if they want to be consistent re Silva they should give Cavani a game.

But its not remotely the same scenario as Suarez. And its not even as bad as Silva was, that whole thing was a f***ing embarrassment. Posting those cartoons then marching Mendy out to say "oh i didn't feel it was racist" so Pep could say SEE NO RACISM!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How do you know? The only thing we know it was used in a football game to Evra. That's it. Acceptable? The FA said no. Now we await their decision with Cavani. For the record, I expect nothing out of it.
Really? Evra said asked Suarez why he kicked him and Suarez replied with, if I'm not mistaken, "Porque tu eres negro/negrito". Come on, are you really going to tell that isn't meant to be degrading/offensive? Cavani shouldn't have used the word but the context is different, and he probably gets a game for it regardless.

Reactions: Venkman and Havre

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Exactly. The decision on Suarez was very harsh in retrospect but it was pushed very hard by Manchester United. Also Evra was offended by the term so that forced the FA to act very hard on him.

It was a nothing word but it is 100% a case of lost in translation.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kind of the definition of racism - doing something because someone is of a certain race. Which is what Suarez did.

Saying thank you to what I guess is a friend is somewhat different. Really hasn't much to do with consistency - other than a Liverpool-fan being wrong again.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So when a black guy tells another black guy the N word, is it racist? Or does context MATTER?
I will be honest.

It is very wrong to do that and even black people agree and laugh at this.(go see Dave Chappelle clip about this).

It's like if some people call me a frog because I am french and I get offended and then I start using frog to another french people and get away with it. It is comical.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Exactly. The decision on Suarez was very harsh in retrospect but it was pushed very hard by Manchester United. Also Evra was offended by the term so that forced the FA to act very hard on him.

It was a nothing word but it is 100% a case of lost in translation.

We are not trying to settle a score but this was all Man United and Evra's overreaction, and their fault, and its nothing and we are wanting to see the same blowback a decade later because we aren't over it but everyone here is sensitive except us and we are just being very normal people

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
We are not trying to settle a score but this was all Man United and Evra's overreaction, and their fault, and its nothing and we are wanting to see the same blowback a decade later because we aren't over it but everyone here is sensitive except us and we are just being very normal people
It was a nothing story. I just found it very funny in retrospect and clearly it is very sensitive subject on this board.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Really? Evra said asked Suarez why he kicked him and Suarez replied with, if I'm not mistaken, "Porque tu eres negro/negrito". Come on, are you really going to tell that isn't meant to be degrading/offensive? Cavani shouldn't have used the word but the context is different, and he probably gets a game for it regardless.
Suarez is the demon. He should never play again the worst human being. He was an horrible person and I won't defend his actions. He got what he deserves but the word was inoffensive.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Because he said some degrading things to Evra... No shit he got backlash because for that. Just like literally anyone else would've if they said that to another player on the field.
The reaction went well beyond the word that was used. I am not sure any other player would have got it as bad. I am pretty sure worst things have been said on a football pitch with less repercusion, it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad