GWT: PL Matchweek 10

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
upload_2020-11-27_12-5-39.png

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Really stupid that Liverpool played on Wednesday and then Saturday at noon.
Punishing Klopp for speaking out about how stupid it is.

Probably why Klopp said he wasn’t going to bring it up anymore during his press conference today.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really stupid that Liverpool played on Wednesday and then Saturday at noon.

Tottenham played Thursday and then plays Sunday. The game is a few hours later in the day then Liverpools start time, do those few hours make that big a difference?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Tottenham played Thursday and then plays Sunday. The game is a few hours later in the day then Liverpools start time, do those few hours make that big a difference?
The thing is that it's unfair for every team that plays in Europe. I have no idea how some of you think that because Klopp and Guardiola are the ones with enough courage to denounce the situation that they are really looking for preferential treatment instead of a schedule that makes sense.

Reactions: cgf and Jussi

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The thing is that it's unfair for every team that plays in Europe. I have no idea how some of you think that because Klopp and Guardiola are the ones with enough courage to denounce the situation that they are really looking for preferential treatment instead of a schedule that makes sense.

English lower league teams play weekend, midweek, weekend all the time. I don't know the rate of injuries for these teams but I don't think it's that high as these teams don't have the depth to rotate frequently. So what's fair for these teams playing in Europe who make lots of money to do so and should use that money to buy proper depth?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A lot of the criticism of Klopp and Pep comes from them complaining about scheduling after playing games where they barely rotated their squad and didn't even use all of their subs. They are two of the deepest teams in the world, and they are only using their depth when forced to by injury. It rings hollow when you are claiming your main concern is player safety while not even doing the things you have power over to increase player safety.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Those teams do have proper depth, you do know that there are teams with between five and nine players injured, right? The simple fact is the schedule should be longer.

Reactions: Jussi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
A lot of the criticism of Klopp and Pep comes from them complaining about scheduling after playing games where they barely rotated their squad and didn't even use all of their subs. They are two of the deepest teams in the world, and they are only using their depth when forced to by injury. It rings hollow when you are claiming your main concern is player safety while not even doing the things you have power over to increase player safety.

Klopp’s midfielders and defenders were hurt well before that. He hasn’t made subs in those positions because there’s nobody to put in. I believe there’s been games this season we had two keepers on the bench. We have also named injured players to the bench. Let's bring as an example the City match.

Our bench had Adrian, Milner, Keita (injured and on the bench anyway), Origi, Phillips, Jones, and Shaqiri on it. Some of those players are only there as a result of a massive amount of injuries. We played two midfielders that match and had one fit midfielder who was subbed on to play right back later in the game.

Our starting XI featured four players who got hurt during the international break. And I'm not talking about Salah's dumb COVID behavior either. Our bench featured one guy who was injured, then went to internationals, and got hurt. Shaqiri also got hurt during those internationals. There has to be some level of trust that these international breaks won't destroy players and injure them. But that didn't happen and the schedule is clearly the reason why.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yes, those hours do make a difference.

Liverpool have it slightly better than United did when they had to play in Turkey on Wednesday and then play at noon on Saturday, but it’s still deeply stupid to give the early start of the day to a team that played Wednesday. It would be just as stupid if Spurs were playing at noon on Sunday instead of in the afternoon.

It might not be an earth shattering difference, but in an already compacted season it would be logical to make shifts when it’s trivial to do so. No one is suggesting switching opponents or massive moves of games, just pushing the starts for Wednesday CL teams to later in the day Saturday.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
English lower league teams play weekend, midweek, weekend all the time. I don't know the rate of injuries for these teams but I don't think it's that high as these teams don't have the depth to rotate frequently. So what's fair for these teams playing in Europe who make lots of money to do so and should use that money to buy proper depth?
Lower league players do not have to travel all over Europe and even all over the world for international duty. Travelling around a tiny country like England is not the same as travelling to Azerbaijan for a Thursday night match and then coming back to play on the week-end. A top player from a top team that plays for a country that makes deep runs is going to have a lot more wear and tear then random English bloke.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Poor Neco. Confidence is gone. He has been getting enough abuse on social media. That won’t help.

Bailed out by a lousy PK though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad