GWT: PL FINALE - Matchweek 38

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
if one is, you're both "plastic clubs"
Liverpool spent north of 200 million in transfers this past year

You failed math I see. Not that high IQ has been prevalent in this conversation, but they spent 123m net in the last two years after 90m in CL revenue they didn't have beforehand.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't see the issue.

I like big clubs. People should support big clubs. Big clubs make the game interesting.

I've practically had to force myself to watch any of the NHL playoffs this year because of the level of randomness.

Reactions: Turtleneck Plek

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Haha probably, but I followed Pittsburgh in the previous centurty. Which incluces the late 90s where the team was supposed to be erased.
Fair enough.

I don't agree with the notion that the NHL has no consistent contenders but yes, even those at the top have had their share of absolute horror shows, as is the nature of the league, something that can't be said of the Premier League.

Which, again, I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That performance is on the players. They’re just not good enough

The manager isn't either, but he has been given the rule of the land to drive the team straight into the ground. His tactics are horrendous, it's the same thing that happened at Cardiff. They were 17th when he was appointed and he drove them straight into 20th. Then they start horribly in the Championship next year, sacked when the team is in 17th place.

Look, I don't care what anyone says about one side being at fault or whatever, they're both at fault. A manager and his players should never be that bad, it should have remained a temporary appointment.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
if one is, you're both "plastic clubs"
Liverpool spent north of 200 million in transfers this past year

While still selling players there outs were fairly close to what came in. They don’t have anywhere near the financial power that city has.

Three years ago they were signing players like rickie lambert and playing players like Jordan ibe.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I don't see the issue.

I like big clubs. People should support big clubs. Big clubs make the game interesting.
I agree
it's just funny to see the pool fans lash out at the way City run their club, which isn't too different from pool who spent over 400 milly over the last 2 years trying to buy titles, with many a smart transfer fee spent there & good for them, it might bring them the CL trophy, but let's not pretend there's anything organic going on here, it's the same as City and all the other big money clubs...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I agree
it's just funny to see the pool fans lash out at the way City run their club, which isn't too different from pool
pool spent over 400 milly over the last 2 years trying to buy titles, with many a smart transfer fee spent there
& good for them, it might bring them the CL trophy, but let's not pretend there's anything organic going on here, it's the same as City and all the other big money clubs...

Your math is f***ing awful. Stop while you're behind and take a math class. 107m net in three seasons with 90m in unexpected revenue to create that spending. They did a great job.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I don't see the issue.

I've practically had to force myself to watch any of the NHL playoffs this year because of the level of randomness.

Well, minor correction - people should support who they feel most appropriate and happy supporting. If that's a big club, then so be it. The shame isn't in supporting big clubs; the shame is when your club goes through hard times (or anything resembling them) and you're nowhere to be found. Either be there 100% of the time or be there 0% of the time. Either is fine; anything in-between, not so much.

I, for one, have been feeling increasingly disillusioned with the whole "supporting individual teams" thing, and I was feeling that way before the Lightning let out of the wettest of farts this postseason. And, as I said previously here (I think), one of my favorite things with the Premier League is that I don't have a favorite team in this league, so it's easier for me to just enjoy the football for what it is. I get tired sometimes in Italy about having to root for Milan/Roma/Lazio to lose games because Inter's Champions League qualification might be at risk (I'll always root against Juve because f*ck Juve), and I get tired of watching Inter as well because they play some of the most dogsh*t football on the planet. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised in a few years if my team "allegiances" have weakened, if not disappeared entirely. I didn't care who won the Ajax/Tottenham game the other day, and I enjoyed the hell out of how it turned out all the same. Maybe that's more up my alley these days, I dunno.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I dunno why Liverpool supporters take the bait.

Obviously, City and Liverpool's wealth shouldn't be compared, nor their roster construction.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Your math is ****ing awful. Stop while you're behind and take a math class.

I've said on Reddit before that Klopp certainly isn't running some kind of Dortmund operation at Liverpool, but a lot of Liverpool's success can be ascribed to selling Coutinho for an extremely inflated fee (good business from Liverpool) and reinvesting that money wisely. Money well spent; no shame to be had in that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If anyone thinks Liverpool are going to drop off next season, go watch that Klopp interview.

Gonna go to Madrid, pickup #6 and right back at the League.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, minor correction - people should support who they feel most appropriate and happy supporting. If that's a big club, then so be it. The shame isn't in supporting big clubs; the shame is when your club goes through hard times (or anything resembling them) and you're nowhere to be found. Either be there 100% of the time or be there 0% of the time. Either is fine; anything in-between, not so much.

I, for one, have been feeling increasingly disillusioned with the whole "supporting individual teams" thing, and I was feeling that way before the Lightning let out of the wettest of farts this postseason. And, as I said previously here (I think), one of my favorite things with the Premier League is that I don't have a favorite team in this league, so it's easier for me to just enjoy the football for what it is. I get tired sometimes in Italy about having to root for Milan/Roma/Lazio to lose games because Inter's Champions League qualification might be at risk (I'll always root against Juve because f*ck Juve), and I get tired of watching Inter as well because they play some of the most dogsh*t football on the planet. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised in a few years if my team "allegiances" have weakened, if not disappeared entirely. I didn't care who won the Ajax/Tottenham game the other day, and I enjoyed the hell out of how it turned out all the same. Maybe that's more up my alley these days, I dunno.
I agree, whatever makes you happy. I support Liverpool because (most of the time) it makes me happy.

I totally get the disillusionment with supporting individual teams and to that point, the convention seems to be that you support your local club and you also support a bigger club. There's not shame in it. We have a guy here who's a Brighton and Arsenal fan, for example. Hell, that's pretty much what I do. It's just that my local club plays in New York City, so it's not exactly Grimsby Town. Then again, MLS isn't exactly glamorous.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The manager isn't either, but he has been given the rule of the land to drive the team straight into the ground. His tactics are horrendous, it's the same thing that happened at Cardiff. They were 17th when he was appointed and he drove them straight into 20th. Then they start horribly in the Championship next year, sacked when the team is in 17th place.

Look, I don't care what anyone says about one side being at fault or whatever, they're both at fault. A manager and his players should never be that bad, it should have remained a temporary appointment.

At least someone agrees with me. He was awful at Cardiff. He got a great bump when he came, and he hasn’t ever shown he is the guy long term.

But something is also rotten in that squad.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If anyone thinks Liverpool are going to drop off next season, go watch that Klopp interview.

Gonna go to Madrid, pickup #6 and right back at the League.
We've spent the last three weeks talking about what a historic season these two clubs had, and you think you'll be back at it next campaign? No disrespect, but you're setting yourself up for failure.

I don't even think it'll necessarily be a drop off in quality (both squads will bring in players for sure), but how many points were rescued at the death this season? That's fairytale stuff. Not to mention, you can't really count on the inconsistency we've seen from Arsenal, United, and Chelsea, plus an always threatening Tottenham.

Reactions: Lepardi

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Do you know what "Net Spend" means?
of course
I also know that it doesn't matter nearly as much as casual fans think it does and it tells you nothing about how clubs do business [I'd guess very few people commenting here know that a transfer fee is spread over the length of a player's contract with the club]
yall gonna bring up shirt sales next?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So, all the but hurt people say that City won only because of our money....

Plastic???. I like plastic, one of the most endure, flexible, versatile, usable matters ever created,
only one downside, which is a big one, its massive pollution factor.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
of course
I also know that it doesn't matter nearly as much as casual fans think it does and it tells you nothing about how clubs do business [I'd guess very few people commenting here know that a transfer fee is spread over the length of a player's contract with the club]
yall gonna bring up shirt sales next?

Everyone knows that. You haven't stumbled on any great answer to anything that everyone else in the world has somehow missed. Almost every club does their transfer business based on what comes in, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad