GWT: PL FINALE - Matchweek 38

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I mean, NFL fans in Europe; do you think there's a large segment of Bucs/Lions/Browns fans, you know, teams that suck every f*cking year? Obviously not. It's a combination of (naturally) wanting to be happy with success, not having already been tied down by "they're my local team", and also just availability to watching and being able to follow the news.

Good point but North American leagues are also very different from the Premier League because of the salary cap. If you're a European following the NHL for example and want to support a winning team, it's awfully hard to find a team that'll be constantly competitive for years the way City, Pool, ManU and Chelsea are.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good point but North American leagues are also very different from the Premier League because of the salary cap. If you're a European following the NHL for example and want to support a winning team, it's awfully hard to find a team that'll be constantly competitive for years the way City, Pool, ManU and Chelsea are.
Pittsburgh, Boston, San Jose.

I just found 3 in 2 seconds.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Pittsburgh just got swept in the first round and has managed to win only two Stanley Cups with two once-in-a-generation type players. The Bruins have 6 cups in a century, the last of which was almost a decade ago. And San Jose has never won a championship.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I understand the temptation to lash out at City and their fans. But, at least for the North American fans, this is why many of them chose City. They picked a winning club to watch them win. To each their own. Let them enjoy what they signed up for.
There are obviously some teams that I like better than others teams, but I won't fault anyone in America who picking the team of their choosing.

It's not like you have someone living in Pennsylvania choosing like the Dallas Stars in example. We don't have local teams, so pick the team you are drawn to. Nothing wrong with that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pittsburgh just got swept in the first round and has managed to win only two Stanley Cups with two once-in-a-generation type players. The Bruins have 6 cups in a century, the last of which was almost a decade ago. And San Jose has never won a championship.
Yeah and look at all those trophies Liverpool have. It's exactly the same thing.

It's such a stupid argument.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

Pittsburgh's been eliminated in the first round of playoffs four times in the last nine seasons.
The Bruins have missed the playoffs twice and lost their first-round playoff series twice in the last eight seasons.
The Sharks have missed the playoffs once and lost their first-round playoff series three times in the last eight seasons.

Wanna guess how many times Pool, ManU, City and Chelsea have finished outside the top eight in the same timespan?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pittsburgh's been eliminated in the first round of playoffs four times in the last nine seasons.
The Bruins have missed the playoffs twice and lost their first-round playoff series twice in the last eight seasons.
The Sharks have missed the playoffs once and lost their first-round playoff series three times in the last eight seasons.

Wanna guess how many times Pool, ManU, City and Chelsea have finished outside the top eight in the same timespan?
Last three teams to lead the league on Christmas and not win it: Liverpool, Liverpool, and Liverpool.

We could dig up silly little facts all day.

But I'm not gonna do that.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah and look at all those trophies Liverpool have. It's exactly the same thing.

It's such a stupid argument.
The dynamics of the PL and the NHL, as has already been noted not even just here but another thread on this board in the last week, are so far removed from one another that it's an absurd comparison to begin with.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Kings of Europe has a better ring to it anyways.
No harm in coming in second place behind a plastic club
if one is, you're both "plastic clubs"
Liverpool spent north of 200 million in transfers this past year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad