GWT: PL FINALE - Matchweek 38

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Support whoever you want to support. Who cares. If United were good, there would be loads of United supporters coming out of the woodwork. I can’t count the number of Barca kits I see, or old Ronaldo jerseys I used to see at a random suburban high school in the US. Who cares.

Honestly, prior to the last four or five seasons, you basically had to support a top 6-7 club or you would see maybe one match on American tv.

The idea of calling anyone a lesser supporter or fan is silly. Unless you sit on the Kop or go to the Emirates weekly or what have you, you aren’t a local supporter, so by default you had to make your choice of a club somewhere. So good, they picked, and now they should learn and support. It won’t always be sunshine for every club. Some day soon City won’t be the best. Liverpool will fall off again. Someone else will be dominant. It happens. See what happens then and say something about loyalty

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't see the issue.

I like big clubs. People should support big clubs. Big clubs make the game interesting.

I've practically had to force myself to watch any of the NHL playoffs this year because of the level of randomness.
Hey where were you for the first three years of Klopp's reign where they were absolute toilet

There's a reason glory hunters are particularly despised in British football, and this post is a great example of it

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Haha probably, but I followed Pittsburgh in the previous centurty. Which incluces the late 90s where the team was supposed to be erased.
They were terrible, bankrupt, and on the verge of relocating. Incredible how many younger fans are ignorant of this.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
At least someone agrees with me. He was awful at Cardiff. He got a great bump when he came, and he hasn’t ever shown he is the guy long term.

But something is also rotten in that squad.

Should be new manager and 7-8 new players financed by selling Pogba as they have no choice in that part, that's the only way to buy big. Clear the rest out over the course of the following season or two. I'd be changing basically everything if it was me. There is no aspect of a title winning team whatsoever in that squad or in the manager's office.

Hey where were you for the first three years of Klopp's reign where they were absolute toilet

<----was here during Hodgson. Worse than toilet.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Everyone knows that. You haven't stumbled on any great answer to anything that everyone else in the world has somehow missed. Almost every club does their transfer business based on what comes in, period.
doesn't seem like you know much about the business side at all, with all the yelling about NET SPEND!!!
So, all the but hurt people say that City won only because of our money....
no shame at all, that's why pool were there also, congrats

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
We've spent the last three weeks talking about what a historic season these two clubs had, and you think you'll be back at it next campaign? No disrespect, but you're setting yourself up for failure.

I don't even think it'll necessarily be a drop off in quality (both squads will bring in players for sure), but how many points were rescued at the death this season? That's fairytale stuff. Not to mention, you can't really count on the inconsistency we've seen from Arsenal, United, and Chelsea, plus an always threatening Tottenham.
They’re going to be in the discussion. Can they get 97 again? No probably not. But maybe City can’t get 98.

The squad is young enough to be setup for another year or two of runs.

True, everyone’s going to try and improve. But City and Liverpool are so far ahead of the rest, that while they should close the gap, there’s a good chance Liverpool are in the hunt again. I’m not saying they’ll do it, but they’re certainly in the discussion.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
doesn't seem like you know much about the business side at all, with all the yelling about NET SPEND!!!

giphy.gif

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
At least someone agrees with me. He was awful at Cardiff. He got a great bump when he came, and he hasn’t ever shown he is the guy long term.

But something is also rotten in that squad.

I just want to see what he's like with a clean slate next season. I'm not going to judge a guy based on his time in Cardiff, and I'm convinced that group of players needs to be cleansed.

One thing I've always agreed with is that the timing was very poor. There was no reason to give him the job full-time when they did.

I'm just going to give him a fair shake next season, that's all. We'll see what happens. I'm not convinced he's the wrong guy for the job.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Should be new manager and 7-8 new players financed by selling Pogba as they have no choice in that part, that's the only way to buy big. Clear the rest out over the course of the following season or two. I'd be changing basically everything if it was me. There is no aspect of a title winning team whatsoever in that squad or in the manager's office.

<----was here during Hodgson. Worse than toilet.

Yeah crappy Klopp is so much better than Hodgson. Go look at the crap they bought if you want a laugh.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Support whoever you want to support. Who cares. If United were good, there would be loads of United supporters coming out of the woodwork. I can’t count the number of Barca kits I see, or old Ronaldo jerseys I used to see at a random suburban high school in the US. Who cares.

Honestly, prior to the last four or five seasons, you basically had to support a top 6-7 club or you would see maybe one match on American tv.

The idea of calling anyone a lesser supporter or fan is silly. Unless you sit on the Kop or go to the Emirates weekly or what have you, you aren’t a local supporter, so by default you had to make your choice of a club somewhere. So good, they picked, and now they should learn and support. It won’t always be sunshine for every club. Some day soon City won’t be the best. Liverpool will fall off again. Someone else will be dominant. It happens. See what happens then and say something about loyalty
Everything you said here is 100% correct.

At issue, is what the bolded means for different clubs. Not being "sunshine" does not mean the same thing for United, that it means for Crystal Palace, and that is by design.

But yeah, whatever. Not really a topic befitting the day.

There's a reason glory hunters are particularly despised in British football, and this post is a great example of it
One of the more tone-deaf posts I've seen on this board, and that's an achievement.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
City has dumped considerably more money and resources into their squad than Liverpool has, I don't think that can even be debated. City came into the season with the expectation that they win the title, and Pep has the expectation of bringing them success in Europe on his shoulders, which is what he was really brought in for.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I just want to see what he's like with a clean slate next season. I'm not going to judge a guy based on his time in Cardiff, and I'm convinced that group of players needs to be cleansed.

One thing I've always agreed with is that the timing was very poor. There was no reason to give him the job full-time when they did.

I'm just going to give him a fair shake next season, that's all. We'll see what happens. I'm not convinced he's the wrong guy for the job.
I respect that. But to me, if he’s not the guy, you probably wasted a chance to rebuild this summer because Pogba’s money is only going to cycle once. You set your team back another wasted season or two if he’s not the guy, and worst case, you buy players he wants to see who a new manager would need to get rid of.

Sure, a DoF worth something maybe solves that. But maybe the club doesn’t want that, or a potential candidate won’t come because he has a manager in place that he’s unsure of

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I just don't post here that often because of people like you.

I'm quite active on the Rangers soccer thread.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Everything you said here is 100% correct.

At issue, is what the bolded means for different clubs. Not being "sunshine" does not mean the same thing for United, that it means for Crystal Palace, and that is by design.

But yeah, whatever. Not really a topic befitting the day.

One of the more tone-deaf posts I've seen on this board, and that's an achievement.
Correct, but even those clubs can have good moments or good seasons. They could win a cup or go to Europe, or snatch a victory from a title winner. Heck, they can go a full season not sweating relegation. It is a matter of degrees, but most sides will go through those peaks and valleys. Some won’t come through (with economics it’s very possible that some clubs will not be sustainable) but most should see a change.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would have been disappointed to drop points today regardless of City's results.

But we didn't. We got it done again.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There were two major low points. Getting tonked by Blackpool was laughable. Still woke up at 4:30 AM the next week as always. Liverpool was in the relegation zone playing Everton.

Liverpool display was best so far says Roy Hodgson despite Everton win

I refuse to accept that we were in any way inferior'

Roy-Hodgson-006.jpg
Ugh I despise that man so much. I also hate the media who fawn over him and give him cover. Between him and Hicks and Gillette they drove this club off a cliff.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I just don't post here that often because of people like you.

I'm quite active on the Rangers soccer thread.
Marvellous

I suppose I should just laugh at your drivel from afar then, I wouldn't want you to put off going on about how great Germany and Liverpool are when they happen to be about to win things

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Marvellous

I suppose I should just laugh at your drivel from afar then, I wouldn't want you to put off going on about how great Germany and Liverpool are when they happen to be about to win things
Germany are always about to win things so I don't know what you're on about.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I really want to go through a one by one point of what's been wrong with this thread. But I will say that the lifeblood of these leagues is not where the big clubs lie and that's why I'm always here watching games. I think it's a backwards way of looking at things to say something like that.

But more to the points earlier in the thread, yes it is entirely due to television coverage that people come to support these teams and I don't think people who don't skip games should be criticized for loving the teams they have come to love. This was a fun season, but they always won't be so bright and that's something everyone should keep in mind. Which is why I have said, over and over again, that people should really enjoy this while it lasts. I think Liverpool has built what can be considered to be an amazing team with many world class players. The opportunity to do that without an owner injecting hundreds of millions into the team, that's pretty hard to do. By any standard the owners have not done that and all their transfer money is coming from the club's success. While today was very disappointing, I also know from years of it being worse that it can be a hell of a lot worse.

Liverpool fans would probably take him up on that, although I don't think Klopp would.

Nope. Would mean that Tuesday meant nothing. Can't have that.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I respect that. But to me, if he’s not the guy, you probably wasted a chance to rebuild this summer because Pogba’s money is only going to cycle once. You set your team back another wasted season or two if he’s not the guy, and worst case, you buy players he wants to see who a new manager would need to get rid of.

Sure, a DoF worth something maybe solves that. But maybe the club doesn’t want that, or a potential candidate won’t come because he has a manager in place that he’s unsure of

I'm not sure what you mean by "cycle once", but yeah, the way I see it, losing Pogba isn't a massive loss because this team is probably 3-4 years away from contending (if everything goes right) consistently.

I don't see the parallel of selling a Coutinho and reinvesting it like Liverpool did because I don't think United's near that stage in their development.

I also don't think Pogba's a particularly good fit at United, nor do I think he's the guy I would choose to build around and have as my best player. I just don't think he's that guy, and I'm not going to be shamed into thinking otherwise by certain posters here. I've watched almost all his games in Italy and England, and the exact same issues I had with him at Juventus still exist at United.

As for the DoF, that's another matter, and not one I'm that optimistic about, but we'll see how it goes.

Fans have a tendency to look at things for the immediate, or for next season, but I think United has to be making moves for 3-4 years down the road. The entire foundation needs to be rebuilt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad