News Article: PK Subban: “We can beat these guys. We’re better."

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
This series just showed the difference in maturity between Subban and Karlsson. One was very professional, and the other acted like a child.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I remember when I played, and an opponent celebrated like he does, it made me want to beat them THAT much more and play that much harder.

P.K. has got to tone down his 'cellys'. Hockey is a proud sport. When someone throws something in your face, you're gonna come back HARD.

WhiteLight*

This series just showed the difference in maturity between Subban and Karlsson. One was very professional, and the other acted like a child.

Was gonna say. And it's not just professionalism, it's about discipline, composure, controlled aggression and humbleness. Subban had way too many antics going on, he needs to just focus on hockey.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
If I was a writer there's no way the Norris goes to him.

I'd give it to a more mature and solid Suter, a much safer decision.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

I'd give it to Suter based off the fact Suter is a way better all around defenceman.

Suter consistantly impacts the game in every aspect. P.K. is pretty much a 1 trick pony on the PP. He's not all that great at even strength.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I disagree - the reason for overlooking Subban is his PP numbers are way up there.

I'd take someone who has more impact at 5 on 5 like Letang if we're giving it to a more offensive defenseman (or if we're basing it off points).

If we're giving it to someone all-around then we give it to Suter.

I mean to get an idea of just how much the 'offensive' defensemen in Montreal rely on the PP and aren't involved at 5 on 5 (they're OK at making the first pass and Subban can carry it but that's about it) - Letang had as many ES points in 35 games as Subban, Markov and Diaz had in their combined 113 games.

I get that sometimes defenseman aren't rewarded or are unfairly rewarded with secondary assists... but we're talking about a significant amount of games. The numbers should have been higher. They weren't.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Honestly, so many people dismiss Letang because of the forwards they have, but Pittsburgh struggles the MOST when Letang is out. Also, he didn't even play on the #1 PP unit in the regular season.

Had Letang not been hurt, Karlsson would not have led defensemen in points by 25 points.

Letang is the closest player to Erik Karlsson (minus the physical play), and a joy to watch.

WhiteLight*

Honestly, so many people dismiss Letang because of the forwards they have, but Pittsburgh struggles the MOST when Letang is out. Also, he didn't even play on the #1 PP unit in the regular season.

Had Letang not been hurt, Karlsson would not have led defensemen in points by 25 points.

Letang is the closest player to Erik Karlsson (minus the physical play), and a joy to watch.

Difference is, Letang is not the Pens best defensive D, might even be the worst, while Karlsson was the Sens best defensive D and had all the tough matchups.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Difference is, Letang is not the Pens best defensive D, might even be the worst, while Karlsson was the Sens best defensive D and had all the tough matchups.

Besides Paul Martin, he's their second best defensive defenseman.

Anyhow, I think he finishes third because of games missed. It's between Suter and Subban.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Subban is doing so many things wrong when it comes to attitude and how to interact with other people and even himself. Someone just need to bring him down to earth, teach him being more teamguy and less bombastic. It is all about him in every situation. Whatever he is doing, he tries too hard. The game after he yelled at mate he never stopped tapping teammates on the butts and backs. He's prolly got ADD or any other lettercombo. Which I don't hold against him, but something for the coaches to deal with. Now he plain comes out as childish and selfabsorbed pain in the ass-kid. He is even way too concerned when he knows people are watching him or cameras are on him. Gah, I can't stand him. Simply.

WhiteLight*

Besides Paul Martin, he's their second best defensive defenseman.

Anyhow, I think he finishes third because of games missed. It's between Suter and Subban.

Orpik is better as well, and an argument could be made for Niskanen and Murray

Personally I think it'll be:

1)Suter
2)Letang
3)Subban

Suter and Letang are more dominant in all situations then Subban is.

Based on?

Subban was the most dominant defenseman 5-on-5 this season

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Orpik is better as well, and an argument could be made for Niskanen and Murray

Based on?

Subban was the most dominant defenseman 5-on-5 this season

Based off my opinion? Subban is an 'offensive defenceman' but gets almost all his points on the PP. People tried using Karlsson's offence against him last season and he was dominant 5 on 5 moving the puck and collecting points. P.K aint a great 5 on 5 puck mover yet. His D game is pretty good, but nothing compared to Suter who is a great offensive Dman in his own right while destroying these guys in defensive play. 2nd place in voting will probably be close but Suter should IMHO be the clear winner.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

No he wasn't, but he was good enough defensively that his offence set him apart from everyone else.

WhiteLight*

Based off my opinion? Subban is an 'offensive defenceman' but gets almost all his points on the PP. People tried using Karlsson's offence against him last season and he was dominant 5 on 5 moving the puck and collecting points. P.K aint a great 5 on 5 puck mover yet. His D game is pretty good, but nothing compared to Suter who is a great offensive Dman in his own right while destroying these guys in defensive play. 2nd place in voting will probably be close but Suter should IMHO be the clear winner.

You're massively underrating Subban's defensive play, and overrating Suter's

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No he wasn't, but he was good enough defensively that his offence set him apart from everyone else.

When Karlsson was on the ice this year, he was easily the best defensive d. No one could get the puck past him or near him or even get close to him.

But I think you are talking about his Norris winning year, no?

WhiteLight*

That's you're opinion. Don't walk around here like you know everything about everything.

I don't know everything. But Suter was on the ice for about twice as many goals against as Subban was... just saying Subban is more than OK defensively

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
IMO I'd rather have Suter than Subban.

Im not knocking Subban I'm just saying I like the way Suter plays and handles himself more.

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't get how a players skill and/or proficiency in certain aspects of the game is subjective.

They're either good, or they're not.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When Karlsson was on the ice this year, he was easily the best defensive d. No one could get the puck past him or near him or even get close to him.

But I think you are talking about his Norris winning year, no?

Yeah I was talking about last year. This year he was on a whole 'nother level before getting injured. He really stepped up his play in his own zone this year. Last year he was still prone to quite a few mistakes, but wasn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00