News Article: PK Subban: “We can beat these guys. We’re better."

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
People realize that players and coaches don't use the media as a confessional booth right? The media is a PR tool which relays messages to the other team or reflects them back to the same team as part of the mind games inherent to sports. They use it to either instill fear and doubt or inspire confidence.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
actually (and this is quite funny), google translate subban from Swedish to English to find it's true meaning!!:yo:
So now we know what our Swedes are saying when they yell 'Ta den subban' at him.....maybe that should be the chant from the fans a SBP next time he shows up there.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
who cares what he says. as a player you need to believe you are better or you have no chance. so what?

it doesn't change the fact that this guy is so immature and unprofessional i would never want him on my team

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
That's exactly why you're down 3-1 in the series eh PK?

Marc Freakin' Methot has more points than you in this series, just shush it.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
faceoff was on the wrong side

nah...Sens lack of classiness......the nerve of that rookie Zibenajad shooting a puck on net with only 3 seconds left in a game causing an injury to their all-star veteran goalie....just a total lack of class.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
not a fan, but PK said what he should... No team wants the pressure, so he's trying to deflect it... He's just playing the off ice game like he should.. they've been losing that game badly by leaving it in the coach's hands

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Nah man, he should just be a good sport and admit they're done. Thats the classy thing to do, right?

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
That comment is irrelevant. If you want to hate ol Slew Foot, hate him for verbally and physically attacking his teammates. The guy is a total moron, is probably uncoachable, and will be largely to blame for the obvious chaos in the dressing room.

Son of Alfreds

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa
not a fan, but PK said what he should... No team wants the pressure, so he's trying to deflect it... He's just playing the off ice game like he should.. they've been losing that game badly by leaving it in the coach's hands

Not sure if I agree with that. If anything he's adding more pressure to himself and his teammates by saying "we're better" and "good luck" to the Sens. Bulletin board material?

I don't have a problem with a player being confident, but in PK's and the Canadiens' case they've been unable to back it up so far in this series. All this guy does is run his mouth all the time. No wonder a lot of his teammates don't even like him. Can't wait to see what he says when the Sens eliminate this punk.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Nothing to see here, really.

If a team doesn't think they are better than the other guys, they have a problem right out of the gates. And as the higher seed, our guys would think the same thing in the same position, even if they didn't say it. The fact he did say it, is part of who he is, for better or worse, so not a big deal.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Not sure why he would give the Sens a quote to hang in their dressing room to use as inspiration.

Tough game tonight for the Sens.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The Habs quotes are always so funny. After the last 2 losses it was "we gotta focus on tomorrow". How's that going? Maybe they can focus on tomorrow and their golf plans for tomorrow, tonight.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I dislike Subban a lot but, I have zero issue with what he said. To me, he's just remaining optimistic about thier chances and showing leadership. I don't know why this is an issue with some of you.

John Holmes*

"Pressure" in the playoffs is like a hot potato.

Nobody can hand it off quickly enough. It's always on the other guy.

It's meaningless. The Habs are on the ropes and wounded. This is an opportunity our guys have to seize.

Don't let the Habs back in this.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Be seeing you at the handshake tonight, mon petit Subban. Looking forward to see Neil deck him.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Showing leadership? Please where was his leadership qualities on the ice? Yelling and cussing at a teammate sure shows how much leadership he has as well as throwing a hissy fit when he got a penalty shows great maturity and leadership.

If anything he's adding more pressure on his teammates to perform to his expectations.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Showing leadership? Please where was his leadership qualities on the ice? Yelling and cussing at a teammate sure shows how much leadership he has as well as throwing a hissy fit when he got a penalty shows great maturity and leadership.

If anything he's adding more pressure on his teammates to perform to his expectations.

Sorry, but that's way I'm seeing it. :dunno:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Again

When a player says something like this all that we should worry about is the outcome: if we eliminate the Habs tonight he'll be a fool but if they win he'll be a leader

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Who cares about the 'we can beat these guys. We're better' comment?

IDK the whole 'war of words' stuff tends to be overblown.

He has to show up along with his team tonight to 'be better' and beat us. And even then - it's not a sure thing.

Of course the media's already on it calling it "leadership" and "a confidence boost".

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
So now we know what our Swedes are saying when they yell 'Ta den subban' at him.....maybe that should be the chant from the fans a SBP next time he shows up there.

I thought swearing wasn't allowed in any language :sarcasm:

Not sure if I agree with that. If anything he's adding more pressure to himself and his teammates by saying "we're better" and "good luck" to the Sens. Bulletin board material?

I don't have a problem with a player being confident, but in PK's and the Canadiens' case they've been unable to back it up so far in this series. All this guy does is run his mouth all the time. No wonder a lot of his teammates don't even like him. Can't wait to see what he says when the Sens eliminate this punk.

Well, I didn't necessarily say he did a good job of it, but obviously he's trying lob the pressure potato back to us, which is exactly what he should do... I'm a fan of subtlety, so I might have done it differently, but it's not the first time two teams have tried to throw the 'pressure' comment at each other... Ultimately, this comment shouldn't matter and hopefully our players see it for what it is... If this were two small market American clubs, this thread wouldn't hit double digits if it were started at all.

Why is this a big deal?

Gil is right again.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
I find it amusing people find these little vocal snippets to the media as demonstrating "leadership". Any fool can can verbalize these things to a crowd of microphones. Leadership is what one says in the dressing room and more importantly what one does on the ice.

Subban is a phenomenal athlete. He has all the physical tools necessary to be a great great player. I question the space between his ears though. He reminds me of a more talented Phaneuf to be honest.

So far in this series he's been alright. Certainly not a difference maker though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad