Confirmed with Link: Pius Suter signing with the Wings

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I guess I don't know how this could be seen as at least a mildly decent move from literally any of the Game of Throne House Division that is the Detroit Fan Base right:

This is not some offensive juggernaut that's suddenly going to swing us wildly back into the middle of the pack of .500 teams that it would adversely impact our lottery odds in scoring our lord and savior, Shane Wright. The deal is small and short enough to maintain maximum level of flexibility both as a trade asset, and if case things don't work out, still could be bought out with no financial repercussions, and/or a nice bridge to a much larger deal if he proves to be really quite good. He's young enough to slot in age-wise so he still could be considered part of the team and in his prime when our window is opening. He cost us literally no draft capital so I can't imagine that being an issue. Our C depth from a prospect standpoint is still a minimum a season away - if not more - so he's not stopping a prospect from breaking out by getting oodles of Top 6 minutes.

I don't understand the knock here? He seems to be pretty much an ideal Top 6 C to bridge and try out to see if he is something with almost no downside impact here.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Basically on pace for a 40 point + season if it were a full one in his rookie year is promising. He'll likely have a bigger role here and get some PP time, so the prospect of what he could do here is kind of exciting. Not getting my hopes up too much, had a lot of hype for guys like Brunner and Brome also and it didn't pan, so i'm tempering my expectations.

Brunner was very good in Detroit. Did exactly what he was supposed to do. To score spectacular points. Unfortunately he was unwilling to let Babcock teach him some defense and he escaped to play for an aging, defensive minded New Jersey team. That sealed his NHL career. He was very good for Detroit. Particularly during playoffs.

Suter is just as soft but apart from that he's the exact opposite. Very good defensively and much more competitive. Always willing to learn and trying to improve, get better.

Reactions: Konnan511

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess I don't know how this could be seen as at least a mildly decent move from literally any of the Game of Throne House Division that is the Detroit Fan Base right:

This is not some offensive juggernaut that's suddenly going to swing us wildly back into the middle of the pack of .500 teams that it would adversely impact our lottery odds in scoring our lord and savior, Shane Wright. The deal is small and short enough to maintain maximum level of flexibility both as a trade asset, and if case things don't work out, still could be bought out with no financial repercussions, and/or a nice bridge to a much larger deal if he proves to be really quite good. He's young enough to slot in age-wise so he still could be considered part of the team and in his prime when our window is opening. He cost us literally no draft capital so I can't imagine that being an issue. Our C depth from a prospect standpoint is still a minimum a season away - if not more - so he's not stopping a prospect from breaking out by getting oodles of Top 6 minutes.

I don't understand the knock here? He seems to be pretty much an ideal Top 6 C to bridge and try out to see if he is something with almost no downside impact here.

Sounds like you think he is a clear upgrade over Fabbri and Namestnikov?

Guess my concern would be he’s another tweener like those guys and not as strong of a 2C as what we want. I think that’s a fair concern given how unproven he is still.

And if he’s just another winger or 3C, we have plenty of those already.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
then suddenly a new haiku contender appears

Capture.PNG

Reactions: K1900L

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Guess my concern would be he’s another tweener like those guys and not as strong of a 2C as what we want. I think that’s a fair concern given how unproven he is still.

Huh? This team has absolutely no secondary scoring besides Erne, plus they are extremely injury prone. Gaining any player capable of scoring goals is a win. It's a 2 year contract to give Veleno, Berggren and Raymond time to develop.

Not super exciting but it's a good move.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Cool signing, this is mildly good news.

Pluses: A center, decent offensively and defensively, only 25.

Minuses: A bit of an overpayment for a guy with a very small sample size (but we'll have to do that to get anyone until we start winning); very small guy (but they can be effective too, sometimes); crappy at the face-off; really more of a 3C than a 2C on a decent team.

Too bad there wasn't someone else this young and a little better available....but how often does that happen? Improve around those margins, Stevie, good job.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fantasy Take: Detroit adds Pius Suter to Rebuild

(Dobber listing him @ 5'9", whereas HockeyDB, NHL.com etc. list 5'11", so not "small")

"
One of the more odd moves of the offseason was Chicago letting Pius Suter walk for nothing. His rookie season in the NHL saw him post 27 points in 55 games playing just 16:20 a night. A 40-point pace for a rookie is not nothing.

Besides that, he had a carry-in percentage on zone entries of 54 percent, well above the league average of 49 percent. Across the league, that rate of 54 percent compares favourably to reliable centres like Tomas Hertl, Jordan Staal, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (though I guess he's more of a winger these days). That is his game – get control, get the zone with the puck, and start a goal-scoring sequence. He isn't an electric dual threat like Elias Pettersson, nor is he a big-body like Ryan Getzlaf. He is just 5'9 but he knows how to use his frame to keep the puck, and then look for teammates or a shot. (Usually a shot; he was a shade over two shots per game in his rookie year. His assist metrics were less stellar.)

The playmaking needs to come along a bit but this is a guy who showed very good NHL skills for what was a fairly bad team. The Blackhawks decided they didn't need him, but an up-and-coming team did:

UPDATE: The Detroit #RedWings today agreed to terms with center Pius Suter on a two-year contract. pic.twitter.com/2LLsXycHFj
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) July 28, 2021

It works out to a $3.25M AAV in his two years.

In real life, this is a great bet by Detroit. Even with Dylan Larkin, the team is thin at centre. Frans Nielsen is 37 years old and I think they'd rather have Robby Fabbri on the wing. Both Joe Veleno and Michael Rasmussen are potential centres here, but they have to prove something first. At least Suter has two-thirds of a season in, and a good one at that. It gives them the safety of Larkin-Suter at the top and then the younger guys can get in softer minutes down the lineup. And if Suter doesn't work out, it's only a two-year deal and they don't have to worry about his money impacting their young players and available cap space down the road.

Two-thirds of a season isn't a lot to go off of, but Suter had slightly above-average defensive impacts and that's pretty good for a rookie on a bad defensive team. Add that to his offensive puck-possession game, and I'm getting the feeling this is a true two-way centre in the making.

Suter seems to have a good transition game and a developing defensive game that is already average. At worst, that seems like a third-line centre, particularly on a rebuilding team. He was good on the power play too, though Chicago did have a lot of talent. Nevertheless, if he can bring some PP spark to a team that needs it, that could be big for them, too. He looks at least like he'll be a goal-scoring centre, so at worst I think a smaller, slightly worse Jeff Carter. In a full year with 18+ minutes a night, he has 25 goals in his sights and could easily push 30.

The Wings have the help on the, erm, wings, too. They have Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Vrana, Zadina, and maybe even Lucas Raymond. There will be talent for Suter to play with both at 5-on-5 and on the power play. I truly believe that if things go right for him this year, he can get 30 goals and 55 points. He won't bring much peripherals besides some shots, though. Expect less, around 25 goals and 45 points. "

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
If we're handing out sympathy money then how about some sympathy pay to us loyal Wings fans for suffering through this f***ing rebuild, eh?

The slow slide into the abyss was way worse -- clinging to scraps, no hope of seriously competing, knowing the best possible outcome for the following season was being only slightly worse than the previous year. I'll take the rebuild any day.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

Oh, I don't think he's a CLEAR upgrade over Fabbri or Namestnikov. What I know is exactly what I'm getting from Fabbri and Namestnikov and what I don't know is what I'm getting from Suter.

Which could mean a wide range of things - he could be in a different system and without Patrick Kane on his hip, a 15pt flop and unable to hang which in that case...oh well, it was a 2 year deal and see if we can net back some value for him or at the worst, don't resign him and he did nothing to hurt us. Or, he could rediscover chemistry with his old teammates, build on his confidence and play from last year, and break out for a 60pt season feeding Bert and Fabbri to both 20g seasons and making all three incredibly valuable as either trade chips or potentially members of the team going forward since they are all still young enough.

I agree it's not a slam dunk, but it's a possibility with a lot of upside and not a lot of downside. So he busts and he becomes another tweener, okay, it's not like Top 6C's are falling out of the tree right now and I'm not sure any of the ones available, and were willing, fit into our plans anyway. I just don't see a lot of negative and the potential for upside with probably as close to no cost as it comes.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Go read the main forum thread. Hawks fans wish they could have kept him over strome.

Reactions: Frk It

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I see a pattern developing with Yzerman's signings. Both Nedeljovic and Suter are 25 y.o. to add to the Detroit Redwings core that are around or close to the same age. That should allow us to field a roster that will continue to be competitive for a long time and will peak at about the same time.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Offer-sheet Pettersson?

Over 10.28M offer would mean 4x 1st rounder, but how about 7y x 9.5M ?

We would lose 2x 1st + 2nd + 3rd.

I think the only chance of getting him under the 4 first round pick threshold is to give 2 years. You risk walking him to UFA but I assume you do it with a side deal for an extension in place.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am not fully familiar with this player and maybe that is why I feel like this signing is getting a little more hype than it deserves? It sounds like he is a legit top 6 C though?

I like that we are signing people in this age range now. I think Yzerman is creating a 2 stage core. The Larkin/Bertuzzi age range and the Seider/Raymond age range. So I am glad to see the trades and multui year singings are fitting into this age.

I don't like any offersheet's that lose us multiple first round picks we are still a lottery team and that could burn us baddly. Just stick with the draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I read it. One poster said that. Only one. Posted it twice, but only one poster's opinion.

Let's not implythat it seem the majority prefers Suter to Strome.

There were a few more than that.

If you saw, "Ditch Strome" it's because they were answering the question, "would you have rather kept Suter and ditched Strome, or ditched Suter and kept strome."

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I read it. One poster said that. Only one. Posted it twice, but only one poster's opinion.

Let's not implythat it seem the majority prefers Suter to Strome.
True. But ultimately I'm not interested in what Chicago fans guess about him. Let's see how the kid actually handles the new team and full season of new responsibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad