Confirmed with Link: Pius Suter signing with the Wings

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
He's actually Brome worse because of term and amount. Brome was a free signing for one year ELC money.

I hate to sound like an oaf, but he's gotta get pushed down to 3rd line winger. Have him switch spots with Joey or Namestnikov.
Which of the 3rd line wingers deserves to lose their job to Suter? It's a problem. Suter isn't capable of playing a 4th line role but he isn't an upgrade over Erne or Gagner. Suter belongs in the press box. We could have just kept Nielsen.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's actually Brome worse because of term and amount. Brome was a free signing for one year ELC money.

I hate to sound like an oaf, but he's gotta get pushed down to 3rd line winger. Have him switch spots with Joey or Namestnikov.

That’s not an oaf, that’s what should happen. He’s not producing at center. It’s as simple as that.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
i Thought he was pretty damned good in preseason. Not sure what happend once the real games started

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
People are acting like we signed some stud?

He’s OK. Probably a role player. Probably something in between Namestnikov and Fabbri. I think closer to another Namestnikov.

Tried to tell y'all.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Which of the 3rd line wingers deserves to lose their job to Suter? It's a problem. Suter isn't capable of playing a 4th line role but he isn't an upgrade over Erne or Gagner. Suter belongs in the press box. We could have just kept Nielsen.
It's a matter of finding the right line combos, it's not like Gagner is doing much either. He's just on the roster to kill penalties.

Too soon to completely cut bait, but he's gotta show something or might as well buy him out instead of watching him flounder for a second year.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
It's a matter of finding the right line combos, it's not like Gagner is doing much either. He's just on the roster to kill penalties.

Too soon to completely cut bait, but he's gotta show something or might as well buy him out instead of watching him flounder for a second year.
I can't believe we gave him $6 million. However I don't see him going anywhere. We aren't winning in the next 2 years anyway.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Tried to tell y'all.

Fair point, but I'll take the Perlini's and Suter's with the Erne's and Fabbri's. You're not going to bat 1.000 on low-risk gambles like this.

Hopefully he can improve over the season and if not then you can look at a waiver or buyout in the summer, which is really no skin off our back.

With how often Vrana, Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Fabbri are unavailable to play games, I think Suter might still prove to be a decent option for us as the year progresses. Clearly it's been a poor start to the season though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
For real. He looked like a firecracker in pre-season, too, so it's disappointing he's struggled. But that whole line has struggled. If Zadina can bury some pucks, we'll see Suter benefit. And vice versa.
That line needs more size & grit (without losing skill/speed etc.).

A Vrana-Fabbri-Zadina line has enough skill/IQ/speed to compensate for lack of size+grit. The current L2 F-S-Z doesn't.

Otoh, it's only 10gp, Suter deserves a longer look on L2 as C/W, say 20-30gp. Then by Vrana's return, make a decision on where Suter slots.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I actually thought he looked alright in the first period against Tampa... But yeah since then... Who is that guy?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That line needs more size & grit (without losing skill/speed etc.).

A Vrana-Fabbri-Zadina line has enough skill/IQ/speed to compensate for lack of size+grit. The current L2 F-S-Z doesn't.

Otoh, it's only 10gp, Suter deserves a longer look on L2 as C/W, say 20-30gp. Then by Vrana's return, make a decision on where Suter slots.
Suter would probably look better with Joey than anyone else, or even Raz. He keeps centering the puck and there's never anyone there. Joey and Raz will go to the slot, Vrana and Zadina won't. That's not their game.

I have no idea why Fabbri and Suter look so bad together, other than both having some issues finishing.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
He’s just not nearly as good as we thought he was gonna be. I think Stevie Y took a gamble off of last year and so far it’s not paying off. He looked much better on the hawks and more of a play driver, but it also took Erne a year to get it going so maybe he will bounce back. Regardless he is here for only this year and next so it isn’t gonna do any damage long term.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He’s just not nearly as good as we thought he was gonna be. I think Stevie Y took a gamble off of last year and so far it’s not paying off. He looked much better on the hawks and more of a play driver, but it also took Erne a year to get it going so maybe he will bounce back. Regardless he is here for only this year and next so it isn’t gonna do any damage long term.

It's a win-win though.

If S puts up 50pts
(being very generous/best case) = ~50 team g/a which may push us into bubble territory = Win (playoff practice for young core!) However,that worsens our draft pick.=Loss ... This may even trick SY into giving more $ & Term in '23 for Suter as 2C=Loss If S does get resigned after reasonable production as 2C (50pt+ /Def. responsible)..[/i].he makes a GREAT TRADE CHIP for an upgrade @ C/LD =Win .

If S puts up 25-30+ that's ~25 team g/a that never happened & likely keeps us in the Top10 worst, which we may be anyway, but that would further cement another Top10 draft pick = Win!

I haven't zeroed in on Suter much since there's too many other positives going on, often simultaneously. He isn't as bad as the basic stats suggest, nor as good as we/SY probably hoped (yet or at all).

I blame Blash! Just kidding, but only somewhat.

I'm just glad we have a competitive, watchable team most nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Suter had a couple good games against Detroit last year.
Suter's splits last year
Team - G-A-P +/- Shots
Carolina 0-3-3 -3 13
Columbus 2-2-4 +4 15
Dallas 2-2-4 +1 14
Detroit 5-1-6 +4 21
Florida 2-1-3 -3 12
Nashville 2-4-6 -3 20
Tampa 1-0-1 -5 17

I think he's OK play with a lot of talent. Even better against bad teams.
We don't have a lot of talent.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Very much the same. Other than the cursed Montreal games we've seen some really entertaining hockey. I'm grateful for that.
Jokes on MTL though, as it:

1. improves our draft pick % (ever so slightly),

2. while letting our young core deal with adversity.

3. Also worsens Mtl. 1st. (AZ)

4. & gives MB a reason to buy if they're close to a playoff spot near TDL=more Long Term Mediocrity til Price retires.

Win-win-win-win.

Reactions: DatsDeking

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Suter has disappointed so far. But I am not angry. He was a long shot young guy gamble. I like the signing even if it doesn't work because I am sure we are all happy to gamble on a 25 yr old gamble vs a 30+ vet Gamble as a placeholder.

Fabbri was a win
Erne was a win

Suter not working so far... this is how it goes guys. If we have to move him this year or next, I am sure we will find a taker or buy him out etc etc.

Its not like we have a lot of young players ready to take over at Centre... Veleno is about it...
I am not sure he's ready for 2C... and neither is Rasmussen.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad