Confirmed with Link: Pius Suter signing with the Wings

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Do people not remember Erne's first season as a Wing? It was way below expectations. It wasn't until the 2nd half of year two before he started to play up to what Yzerman was hoping for.

I'm not saying Suter is guaranteed to turn into a legit 2nd Line Center like hoped for, but write him off after 10 games? That is nuts.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Do people not remember Erne's first season as a Wing? It was way below expectations. It wasn't until the 2nd half of year two before he started to play up to what Yzerman was hoping for.

I'm not saying Suter is guaranteed to turn into a legit 2nd Line Center like hoped for, but write him off after 10 games? That is nuts.
He's 25 and has never been an NHL player. It's not writing him off after 10 games. The entire league wrote him off with zero games. Chicago took a flyer and then wrote him off after 55 games. He's not an NHL center. Maybe not an AHL center.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
4pts in the last game and a half? Bust.

Fabbri and Zadina level bust.

Bertuzzi, 10 games, 8+6=14p (1.40 p/g)
Raymond, 13 games, 6+8=14p (1.08 p/g)
Larkin, 9 games, 3+5=8p (0.89 p/g)
----------------------------
Namestnikov, 13 games, 5+2=7 points (0.54 p/g)
Fabbri, 13 games, 3+3 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Zadina, 13 games, 2+4 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Suter, 13 games, 3+3 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Erne, 12 games, 2+3 = 5 points (0.42 p/g)
Rasmussen, 12 games, 0+4=4 points (0.31 p/g)

That's our "busting" middle6. Take out those empty-net points from Namestnikov and Erne, and it's pretty equal.

Vrana would be nice injection for that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Fabbri and Zadina level bust.

Bertuzzi, 10 games, 8+6=14p (1.40 p/g)
Raymond, 13 games, 6+8=14p (1.08 p/g)
Larkin, 9 games, 3+5=8p (0.89 p/g)
Namestnikov, 13 games, 5+2=7 points (0.54 p/g)
Fabbri, 13 games, 3+3 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Zadina, 13 games, 2+4 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Suter, 13 games, 3+3 = 6 points (0.46 p/g)
Erne, 12 games, 2+3 = 5 points (0.42 p/g)
Rasmussen, 12 games, 0+4=4 points (0.31 p/g)

That's our "busting" middle6. Take out those empty-net points from Namestnikov and Erne, and it's pretty equal.

Vrana would be nice injection for that.
The problem with the second line is consistency. Maybe they finally found their groove, but 2 good games doesn't really mean anything, they put together 2 good games against the Caps and Panthers. Overall they had 4 good games and were useless in 9.

They need to keep doing what they did the last 2. The jury is still out.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tried to tell y'all.

He has gotten his FO% up considerably, and has also just looked much better overall. I was probably too quick to judge him, he has been totally fine/solid the last few weeks or so.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He has gotten his FO% up considerably, and has also just looked much better overall. I was probably too quick to judge him, he has been totally fine/solid the last few weeks or so.

It's only that one game. HE was phenomenal 17-3 against Dallas. I don't understand where did that come from.

But last four games

3-4 (vs. WSH)
2-3 (vs. MTL)
4-4 (vs. CBJ)
17-3 (vs. DAL)

If he's that good at 1st line.... lock him there. :)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The problem with the second line is consistency. Maybe they finally found their groove, but 2 good games doesn't really mean anything, they put together 2 good games against the Caps and Panthers. Overall they had 4 good games and were useless in 9.

They need to keep doing what they did the last 2. The jury is still out.

They looked alright with Veleno on there after the blender came out. And I still think Erne would be a very good fit on that line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's funny how that 1st line THRIWED with Suter. (Corsi 9-1, xGF% 80%)

And that 2nd line THRIWED with Veleno. (Corsi 8-1, xGF% 100%)

Should we put Larkin to 3rd line (when he returns), to have balanced and deep Top9 ??? :)

Bertuzzi - Suter - Raymond
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Erne - Larkin - Namestnikov
(use this as shut-down line)
Smith - Rasmussen - Gagner

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

Should we put Larkin to 3rd line (when he returns), to have balanced and deep Top9 ??? :)

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina

Imma say no. Larkins not good enough to carry a line completely by himself.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I really think Fabbri-Suter- Zadina is just too repetitive of a line in terms of the type of player. None of them are really elite at anything. None of them really have a physicality to their game. None of them are burners. Suter/Fabbri will never be line drivers, and Zadina is going to have to see significant improvement if he will ever be one.

Bringing in Veleno for Suter gives that line some speed and a little more strength. Switching Zadina or Fabbri with Erne brings some grittyness/net front presence to the line. Right now that line has no element that will create space. You either need speed or size/grit. When Zadina/ Fabbri/Suter get some separation they are pretty effective offensively, but right now they aren't getting a lot of separation.

One of the reasons that Bert/Larkin/Raymond has looked so good is that they bring a nice combo of elements to the line. Larkin brings the speed, Bert the grit/ net front game, Ray the playmaking and all 3 have pretty solid shots. They compliment each other's strengths/weaknesses.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina

totally open to something like this. Putting arguably your best player in a shut down role is not a terrible idea if the other lines are clicking. Part of me wonders if Larkin would be the third line center if the roster was more built out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imma say no. Larkins not good enough to carry a line completely by himself.

It has been pretty good ZERO-ZERO line, with those Wingers + Rasmussen. Quite sure it's better with Larkin.

And creates very interesting matchups, also a better scoring threat.

Also could see 4th line being better WITH Rasmussen, than Stephens there.

Just want to see perfectly balanced roster, nothing else.

Would also ready to waive Givani Smith, he has been so weak that there must not be any waiver-claim risk at the moment. Rowney has started carrying that good PK, so he should be in.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They looked alright with Veleno on there after the blender came out. And I still think Erne would be a very good fit on that line.
I only watched the end of the game, I saw the blender but assumed it was because Larkin left the game.

I think Blash needs to make a change on that line, and it's gonna happen now because Larkin is out again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More time goes on, Suter plays better. He has taken the 4th best forward role lately.

Is scoring better rate than he did at Chicago with Kane.

5-on-5 points/60
Suter at Detroit: 1.80

5-on-5 points/60
Suter at Chicago: 1.44

5-on-5 points/60
Suter at Chicago with Kane: 1.69

I hope Hawks are very happy that they let him walk and did bring Tyler Johnson in to replace him. :sarcasm:

5-on-5 points/60
Tyler Johnson at Chicago: 0.74 (8 games and currently injured)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
More time goes on, Suter plays better. He has taken the 4th best forward role lately.

5-on-5 points/60

5-on-5 points/60

5-on-5 points/60

I hope Hawks are very happy that they let him walk and did bring Tyler Johnson in to replace him. :sarcasm:

5-on-5 points/60
Chicago getting good players from Europe Panarin, Kahun, Suter and then let them go , not very smart business

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

5-on-5 points/60

5-on-5 points/60

5-on-5 points/60

5-on-5 points/60
Do you have a split with/without Zadina?

I always assumed the passes to empty ice were meant for Zadina who avoids the slot and the crease like he's allergic to scoring.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Do you have a split with/without Zadina?

I always assumed the passes to empty ice were meant for Zadina who avoids the slot and the crease like he's allergic to scoring.

Suter on-ice GF/60 is 2.22 goals overall.

Suter GF/60 with Zadina is 1.00 goals. (most ice-time, 239min with him)
Suter GF/60 without Zadina is 3.98 goals. (168min without him)

They have scored 4 goals together. Zadina one-ice expected is 9,8 goals, so this is kind of a question of 5-6 missing goals.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Suter on-ice GF/60 is 2.22 goals overall.

Suter GF/60 with Zadina is 1.00 goals. (most ice-time, 239min with him)
Suter GF/60 without Zadina is 3.98 goals. (168min without him)

They have scored 4 goals together. Zadina one-ice expected is 9,8 goals, so this is kind of a question of 5-6 missing goals.
Thanks for the response, you validated what I said earlier about Suter. The problem was Zadina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad