Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Tbh. Depending on Zucker’s injury we can’t afford to move McCann unless we move Tanev to LW.

McCann's moveable IF he's part of a deal to bring back a top 9 LW, (which is basically swapping parts for someone that clicks a bit more with Geno), otherwise, I'd also explore the blueline depth and think real hard about which 2 blueliners we have signed for term are absolutely not going to be a part of this club in the next 18 months.

I also don't think futures are something we should write off with the expansion draft approaching either.

Reactions: KIRK

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Dumo, McCann, 2022 2nd and maybe Legare are our trade bait. Maybe not McCann unless he can prove good with Geno. Dumo for a player, not futures.

We have every draft pick after this upcoming draft available. You can also slot in Pettersson as an either/or for Dumo. Pettersson is 5 years younger with term - that's some serious 'bait' if we're using semantics.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Early in his career and his linemates are not world beaters by any stretch. I don't think the focus should be on his production from a few dozen NHL games versus what he shown against certain matchups and in certain games. To me - he reminds me a lot of the young guys we started calling up years ago. Given an opportunity that wasn't 100% chip and chase hockey I think he'd prove a very useful tool in the lineup.

I think he's a fine energy guy, but I'd just really dispute that we need 2 of them. That's like demanding 2 Bobby Farnhams when you could set your sights a little higher and go for someone a bit more offensively minded.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd guess Poulin has a lot more weight depending on how the organization thinks he's progressing.

So far he's not even capable of going 9 games despite a pretty lacklustre 4th line.

Nice to have Poulin if our best window was 3-4 years from now but it looks pretty doubtful he'll be a factor in our top 6 conversations within the next couple years.

As far as I'm concerned, especially with the core possibly breaking up this summer if we continue like we have, we need to prioritize this year a lot higher than a few years from now.

6.5 long term contract for Palms is literal nightmare fuel for me.

Craig Smith went for 3 if Palms gets anything above 5 yikes! Also, Poulin and a 1st is not attractive to me for a thirty year old rental.

That's because Craig Smith isn't nearly as productive a hockey player, and wouldn't help us where we need it most. He doesn't give us a skilled primary scoring threat on the wing, and doesn't help the PP in the slightest. Again, that's a shitty half-measure.

We don't need another Kapanen. We need a legitimate top 6 scoring threat and PP presence.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think he's a fine energy guy, but I'd just really dispute that we need 2 of them. That's like demanding 2 Bobby Farnhams when you could set your sights a little higher and go for someone a bit more offensively minded.

I agree - the difference is I believe he is capable of that mindset. His usage demands a chip and chase and sporadic hockey brand. The dude has hands though - just hard to display when you're always on a grind line that isn't setting up offense - ever.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So far he's not even capable of going 9 games despite a pretty lacklustre 4th line.

Nice to have Poulin if our best window was 3-4 years from now but it looks pretty doubtful he'll be a factor in our top 6 conversations within the next couple years.

As far as I'm concerned, especially with the core possibly breaking up this summer if we continue like we have, we need to prioritize this year a lot higher than a few years from now.

That's because Craig Smith isn't nearly as productive a hockey player, and wouldn't help us where we need it most. He doesn't give us a skilled primary scoring threat on the wing, and doesn't help the PP in the slightest. Again, that's a shitty half-measure.

We don't need another Kapanen. We need a legitimate top 6 scoring threat and PP presence.

You and I are worlds apart on Palmieri.

He’s a solid player, but I see him being a top line winger and the # 1 PP option on a bad team.

There is a reason his numbers were pedestrian on this Anaheim juggernauts.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Squeeze Jeff Carter from LA. Getzlaf is too expensive and we don't really make good trade partners. LA wants a young LD....err.....

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Again, you have to weigh the return though. A short term fix is wasted on this club this season, at least without bigger structural changes-- but I'd bet dollars to donuts the core is still here next year and will have a better shot in a non-pandemic, non-GM walking out in a huff for the first 1/4 of the season year. :laugh:

I don't think us selling off Letang or Dumo or gutting the bottom 6 is going to preclude us from ever winning a cup while Sid and Geno here, but I do think that trading away an ever-dwindling pile of resources for constantly lesser returns is going to end up just building a bad NHL team.

But hey, if Poulin, Dumo and a 2022 1st get us a really awesome piece we need, then sure, go for it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree - the difference is I believe he is capable of that mindset. His usage demands a chip and chase and sporadic hockey brand. The dude has hands though - just hard to display when you're always on a grind line that isn't setting up offense - ever.

He's shown it in spurts, that's true. I'd be all for keeping him around, but the lack of chemistry on the 4th isn't really something having more of him would fix.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Again, you have to weigh the return though. A short term fix is wasted on this club this season, at least without bigger structural changes-- but I'd bet dollars to donuts the core is still here next year and will have a better shot in a non-pandemic, non-GM walking out in a huff for the first 1/4 of the season year. :laugh:

I don't think us selling off Letang or Dumo or gutting the bottom 6 is going to preclude us from ever winning a cup while Sid and Geno here, but I do think that trading away an ever-dwindling pile of resources for constantly lesser returns is going to end up just building a bad NHL team.

But hey, if Poulin, Dumo and a 2022 1st get us a really awesome piece we need, then sure, go for it.

At some point we need players that will make Sid and Malkin secondary, in the way that Couture and Pavelski did with Thornton and Marleau. Yes SJS didn't win a Cup, but that's the model.

We have kinda 1 of those, if you squint, in Jake.

I know it's easier said than done. But that's why like if Fil Forsberg is out there or we could coax my man-crush Barzal out of NYI we should move heaven and earth to do it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
At some point we need players that will make Sid and Malkin secondary, in the way that Couture and Pavelski did with Thornton and Marleau. Yes SJS didn't win a Cup, but that's the model.

I know it's easier said than done. But that's why like if Fil Forsberg is out there or we could coax my man-crush Barzal out of NYI we should move heaven and earth to do it.

I don't disagree, nor am I really disagreeing with @Soggy Biscuit here. :laugh: I just disagree over what I'd consider a good player to target-- I certainly wouldn't want to spend a huge chunk on a rental.

It's a shame that Zucker's out just long enough to not be able to trade him but not long enough to convince the team to look for a permanent upgrade on his spot.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You and I are worlds apart on Palmieri.

He’s a solid player, but I see him being a top line winger and the # 1 PP option on a bad team.

There is a reason his numbers were pedestrian on this Anaheim juggernauts.

What year is this?

Moving on, even your lukewarm description of Palmieri has him contributing a lot more to this team than Zucker, who is neither a #1 PP option or even a good 2nd line LW for this team, and he's making 5.5 mil per for the next 2 years.

Is there any doubt that Palmieri's a better option for our PP than Rust? Not really.
Is there any doubt that Palmieri's a better fit for our top 6 than Kapanen? Again, not really.

This is the crux of it. I don't want us to waste assets on half-measures either, but if a good target is available, I'd push in the chips for it.

Palmieri would qualify for me. Options like him that would fill a couple roster weaknesses for us don't come around too often. And if he worked for us, obviously you try to extend him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Barzal won't be traded.

All of the 'available' talents are older.... maybe Eichel(24) being the exception. Laine had promise but - nah. You're looking at Benn(31)/Seguin(29), Taylor Hall(29) as realistic trade candidates. Huberdeau(27) if you squint. Gotta try and get lucky with the Guentzel's and Rust's of the world to support Sid/Geno because trading for them is almost impossible. Signing them is just tough (though maybe the covid era changes things a bit with a few smaller termed deals).

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't disagree, nor am I really disagreeing with @Soggy Biscuit here. :laugh: I just disagree over what I'd consider a good player to target-- I certainly wouldn't want to spend a huge chunk on a rental.

It's a shame that Zucker's out just long enough to not be able to trade him but not long enough to convince the team to look for a permanent upgrade on his spot.

Given our non-existent prospect pool, we only have 1 more shot at a forward addition.

A Palmeiri helps solve the PP here and now but doesn't raise the team's ceiling that much.
Going nuts on a Forsberg is a huge risk that would cost POJ, Poulin +. That would truly be it on our prospect pool.
A Max Domi is a huge cultural risk but might still be worth taking.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Barzal won't be traded.

All of the 'available' talents are older.... maybe Eichel(24) being the exception. Laine had promise but - nah. You're looking at Benn(31)/Seguin(29), Taylor Hall(29) as realistic trade candidates. Huberdeau(27) if you squint. Gotta try and get lucky with the Guentzel's and Rust's of the world to support Sid/Geno because trading for them is almost impossible. Signing them is just tough (though maybe the covid era changes things a bit with a few smaller termed deals).

Eichel we'd be looking at losing Jake & Marino probably. Too much.

I did think we should have made a play for Hall last year given...well, how much we ended up giving up for Zucker and Kappy. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Given our non-existent prospect pool, we only have 1 more shot at a forward addition.

A Palmeiri helps solve the PP here and now but doesn't raise the team's ceiling that much.
Going nuts on a Forsberg is a huge risk that would cost POJ, Poulin +. That would truly be it on our prospect pool.
A Max Domi is a huge cultural risk but might still be worth taking.

Pretty much. If we can’t get a Forsberg level asset. Just stay the course.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Eichel we'd be looking at losing Jake & Marino probably. Too much.

I did think we should have made a play for Hall last year given...well, how much we ended up giving up for Zucker and Kappy. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Either we strike gold or we have a really good chance at a lottery pick.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We will be golden if we can acquire a top 6 LW, top 9 RW and a whole new fourth line.

giphy.gif

It would probably take Hextall three years to find all of the guys necessary to make this a complete team.

But let’s at least try to improve the team. I don’t know why you’d stay the course.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember it is written in the old sutras of how Hextall went off wandering the Ganges Plain, searching for enlightenment and players to play on the 4th line.

Reactions: tom_servo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese