Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Continue...

Last posts from previous thread.

Well, if thats true (and I don't know that it is), CBJ is the last place he should play.

I don't think there's any real need to blame anyone if a guy doesn't gel immediately at a new club, or to judge him on it either. It happens all over the league and some of the best trades we've made - and the best trades other teams have made from us - have been about swooping in when it's happened and good players have been available at low prices.

So Domi struggling with Columbus doesn't bother me too much. Him being an up and down guy his entire career does. That and his personality (although I'm not sure I'd heard of this before) and the fit here.

JR tried hard to get Roslovic...would have been great if he did. Dang.

Eh. It’d be intriguing to see Domi with 71 but I haven’t watched much of him. I know people who catch Canadian games didnt like him when he was playing there so fair enough lol.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Agreed. Going after Domi would be a big mistake. He will not bring anything we need.
Arizona, Montreal, Columbus? trade him away and he seems to play into dog houses. Wont be any different here, Kessel always had drama around him on the teams he went to, don't want more of that on the Pens.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Arizona, Montreal, Columbus? trade him away and he seems to play into dog houses. Wont be any different here, Kessel always had drama around him on the teams he went to, don't want more of that on the Pens.

Kessel produced like crazy though, especially when it mattered the most (playoffs)
Domi isn't even remotely close as good as Kessel!

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
What's that "I'll go to jail... I don't care anymore" kid up to? And can he skate? We should sign him for... reasons.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't even know what avenue I'd take. I really don't want to spend futures or substantial assets on win-now acquisitions. I genuinely feel like this team is beyond that. If things play out like I think they may, with us either missing the playoffs entirely or being dumpstered in the 1st round again, I expect all hell to break loose this off-season. I expect Sully fired and Hextall to find his own guy--hopefully someone with an eye for development and getting the most out of youth, because that's not far off. If anyone big is moved, I think it'll be Letang, but that's a pandora's box you can't close, so if that happens we'd better hunker down and get ready. I'm sure the team and Geno's camp will have back and forth about what the future holds for Geno. He'll either go somewhere else to chase that dream of being the only Russian with 4 Cups, or he'll accept that his final year is probably gonna suck but he'll retire a Penguin. If you're dealing Letang, you may as well explore options on Zucker, Rust, Dumo, etc.

In a sense, I'm kind of excited for the next chapter. The Sid/Geno era was phenomenal, but it's coming to a close. The only real chance we had to extend it ended when we decided to stay the course, mistakenly so imo, after the Isles series.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't even know what avenue I'd take. I really don't want to spend futures or substantial assets on win-now acquisitions. I genuinely feel like this team is beyond that. If things play out like I think they may, with us either missing the playoffs entirely or being dumpstered in the 1st round again, I expect all hell to break loose this off-season. I expect Sully fired and Hextall to find his own guy--hopefully someone with an eye for development and getting the most out of youth, because that's not far off. If anyone big is moved, I think it'll be Letang, but that's a pandora's box you can't close, so if that happens we'd better hunker down and get ready. I'm sure the team and Geno's camp will have back and forth about what the future holds for Geno. He'll either go somewhere else to chase that dream of being the only Russian with 4 Cups, or he'll accept that his final year is probably gonna suck but he'll retire a Penguin. If you're dealing Letang, you may as well explore options on Zucker, Rust, Dumo, etc.

In a sense, I'm kind of excited for the next chapter. The Sid/Geno era was phenomenal, but it's coming to a close. The only real chance we had to extend it ended when we decided to stay the course, mistakenly so imo, after the Isles series.

I try to find a 4C with term.

I move out someone on LD for picks. Hopefully Dumoulin.

Try to buy cheap on a top nine RW with those picks or McCann or both.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I try to find a 4C with term.

I move out someone on LD for picks. Hopefully Dumoulin.

Try to buy cheap on a top nine RW with those picks or McCann or both.
That's probably the best course of action for the next year and a half, but I don't know if that really accomplishes much beyond kicking the can down the road a bit.

Mainly, I'm less than optimistic Sid and Geno specifically have the ability to do what it takes to win in the playoffs anymore. Maybe one or the other has a fantastic 1st round, which would be the first time in a while, but to keep it up long enough to make it to even the ECF? I don't see that as a realistic possibility whatsoever.

Basically, it's gonna come down to two things; Whether this organization realizes the window is pretty much closed, and whether Geno wants to stick around to finish out his NHL career here, or head somewhere else to chase #4. I don't think this team will allow the big sell in earnest, even if it needs to. As for Geno, I've got no idea. He's playing like his mind is somewhere else, and he's always been about winning at all costs. I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around to cement his legacy as a Penguin (as if staying one final year was needed to do that), and I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be dealt to have one last shot at being the only Russian with 4 Cups.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Sid and Geno's performance this season could be attributed to the fact that its an awkward season, they both played better last year, Geno in particular. But i'm starting to think that they are no longer able to be considered a high-end 1c but actually a both of them a high-end 2c

Reactions: Gurglesons

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Geno would be receptive to a trade if he sees a cup opportunity and is in Florida. Not sure both exist together but I can;t make a trade unless Florida has the cap room which the Pens can retain to make the money work taking back a contract of some limited term. But a top prospect forward or center is the deal. Letang same boat here. But he has a LTC and can be moved for nice assets. This assumes Pens miss the payoffs or bounced in the first round. Sully who knows. But Hextall certainly knows he has to maximize those two assets into future prospects and picks along with what else he needs to do. Except for Sid, the idea they retire Penguins is simply not relevant to making the decisions needed to rebuild for the future.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I like the idea of Dumo for picks but right before the expansion draft. No reason to trade him in season for picks. Let POJ develop more in the AHL this season

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sid and Geno's performance this season could be attributed to the fact that its an awkward season, they both played better last year, Geno in particular. But i'm starting to think that they are no longer able to be considered a high-end 1c but actually a both of them a high-end 2c

Sid and Geno have been top 5 centres in the league for 15 years running and after a slow start in a self admittedly weird season they aren’t even first line C’s? :huh:

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
My plan would probably be to see if you can get a competent LW middle six guy for Pettersson and one decent vet 4th liner. Unless a game breaking wing is available, then maybe try there.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thinking about it yesterday, I think Riikola will be traded. He's not one of Hextall's guys (so far only Friedman is), and would be a healthy scratch making over $1M.

I wouldn't be surprised, but he does have a physical edge to his game that Hextall and Burke talked about bringing back. I'd also think Petts is going to be on the block for a similar reason, though Petts v. Dumo likely comes down to the return offered.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wouldn't be surprised, but he does have a physical edge to his game that Hextall and Burke talked about bringing back. I'd also think Petts is going to be on the block for a similar reason, though Petts v. Dumo likely comes down to the return offered.

Would be nice to see Riikola get some games with Ceci or Friedman. I left off Ruhwedel since we already know what those two look like together. And no, I'm not saying scratch Ceci to get Friedman in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->