Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Pettersson eye test these last few games hasn't been looking too great. How's his advanced stats? @Tom Hanks

None of our D advanced stats have been anything exciting over the last few games.

Ceci gets a pass, Letang’s probably break even.

In terms of actual goals for and against Ceci, Letang, Marino & Pettersson are our best at break even.

Expected goals for everyone is under 50% besides Ceci (Letang is 49.95)

So it’s either play through the short sample size or switch up D pairings. Or blame the forwards :laugh:

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Also, for the love of god, Montressor! Fix that 4th line!

That 4th would have been partially fixed had it not been for Zucker going down and a return of McCann. But even then still required a better addition.

Both Sceviour and O'Connor just isn't enough to drive anything, Lafferty is a ticking time bomb, and Jank, like anyone, needs help. But most of all, those three have been leading directly to goals against. Can they do better than Jank? Most definitely, but you can't fix all the issues and Jank is solid defensively.

Had they got another LW pushed Zucker down to either TB or Jank. Then the possibilities would have been endless.

Guentzel, Cosby, Kapanen
TRADE, Malkin, Rust
Zucker/ZAR, Blueger, Tanev
Zucker/ZAR, Jank, McCann

To now...

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
McCann, Malkin, Rust
Zar, Blueger, Tanev
Lafferty, Jank, Sceviour

to...

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
TRADE, Malkin, Rust
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev
McCann, Jank, Sceviour

I hate injuries have as deep an impact to this team as it always does. Maybe a shit show guy like Reaves (not actually saying a goon here, maybe a Maroon type who still has some skill) would have not been all that bad an idea in that Sceviour spot. I'm sure Hexy and Burke noticed that after last nights game, not just for Wilson, but just in general. Like, watch AO be a chicken scratch again last night. Cheap shit. There's no answer for it. Yes, make them pay on the PP, but that's not always going to work with a functioning PP. You can't just say they'll score on any given PP to say "Hey! that's for that cheap hit." What Ceci did was awesome and will help. They need more of that from everyone able. Play on that edge. Except, put those crosshairs on their other players of note, and back them up. I think Kapanen is that, or able.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I remember in 2015 when people were saying Crosby and Malkin were done.

After 29 games in 2015, Crosby had 6 goals and 13 assists. Then the Penguins made a coaching change and Crosby finished with 85 points in 80 games. The fact of the matter is, let's make a coaching change before blowing things up. I still think Crosby and Malkin are good players, maybe not elite talent anymore, but definitely still good.

The fact that Malkin had 74 points in 55 games and was on pace for more before Guentzel was injured speaks volumes to how good the guy still is, he's not the same guy he was 4-5 years ago, but he's still a point-per-game player and so is Crosby. They're playing better as a team than they were earlier this month, I honestly feel like you need to do a coaching change before blowing things up. Perhaps the next coach will figure out that Zucker doesn't fit well with Malkin. Right now, we're having injury problems and lack a decent 4th line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
True. But, I’m just saying look at what has happened to Philly without their forward depth.

Some teams can overcome it, but reality is we need to move out a LD for wing talent.

Decided to move this to the roster thread.

Yeah, definitely agreed on moving out d for wings. Not sure what's available for what we have to offer unless we use some significant sweetener though. Like, these wings have to represent actual upgrades somewhere, it can't just be more of the same.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This team is in serious trouble with only 2 top 6 wingers now. This is what happens when you lack any sort of depth in the bottom six. This team was poorly constructed this off season.

They will be forced to trade a d-man if they have any interest in even trying to make the playoffs. We don’t have a first round pick, so staying the course as is doesn’t seem very enticing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This team is in serious trouble with only 2 top 6 wingers now. This is what happens when you lack any sort of depth in the bottom six. This team was poorly constructed this off season.

They will be forced to trade a d-man if they have any interest in even trying to make the playoffs.

McCann into L2 and ERod back and providing some talent on L4 would probably be enough to float around .500

Reactions: SEALBound

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

They will be forced to trade a d-man if they have any interest in even trying to make the playoffs. We don’t have a first round pick, so staying the course as is doesn’t seem very enticing.

We do have Poulin and a 2022 1st.

If we use those - and our defense assets - well, we can address whatever problems we have.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
McCann into L2 and ERod back and providing some talent on L4 would probably be enough to float around .500
Let’s be serious, Sully will try to be the smartest guy in the room and play ERod in the top 6.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tbh. Rodrigues - Malkin- Rust probably has some potential.

tenor.gif

(Not sure if you are serious)

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t think either of those make sense to deal if Zucker is missing long term time.

Zucker wasn't doing anything anyway, so I'm not sure how he enters the equation.

Anyways..

Some cheap (trade cost wise) LW solutions..

Johansson
Zack Smith
Heinen
Flippula
Sorenson

Do we honestly think any of these players can provide what Malkin needs on his wing if Zucker couldn't?

This just looks like throwing more shit at the wall to me - you get what you pay for.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Zucker wasn't doing anything anyway, so I'm not sure how he enters the equation.

Do we honestly think any of these players can provide what Malkin needs on his wing if Zucker couldn't?

This just looks like throwing more shit at the wall to me - you get what you pay for.

I’d rather drop money into those players and minimal assets than pay a 1st and Poulin for a year of Palms.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I’d rather drop money into those players and minimal assets than pay a 1st and Poulin for a year of Palms.

Palmieri's only a rental if he's not resigned. Plus he'd give us our best, no compromise shot with this core.

It'd be a net positive if we moved Poulin and a 1st for Palmieri, gave away Zucker for whatever non-cap assets we could get, then signed Palmieri to a 6.5 mil extension in the off-season. Unlike Zucker, he fills a couple roles we need filled, and fills them well.

If we're only going to attempt shitty half-measures that don't address the glaring roster holes on this roster we might as well blow up the core now and be done with it. Danton Heinen, of all people, is not providing the sort of help this team needs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Grab Brad Richarson for nothing and see what you can get for Pettersson or Dumo if you’re not confident in his health.

Beyond that, I don’t really want much change. I want the team to figure it out by and large and to gel.

Although apparently they thought they were close to acquiring Fleury so who knows what the plan really is.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Palmieri's only a rental if he's not resigned. Plus he'd give us our best, no compromise shot with this core.

It'd be a net positive if we moved Poulin and a 1st for Palmieri, gave away Zucker for whatever non-cap assets we could get, then signed Palmieri to a 6.5 mil extension in the off-season. Unlike Zucker, he fills a couple roles we need filled, and fills them well.

If we're only going to attempt shitty half-measures that don't address the glaring roster holes on this roster we might as well blow up the core now and be done with it. Danton Heinen, of all people, is not providing the sort of help this team needs.

6.5 long term contract for Palms is literal nightmare fuel for me.

Craig Smith went for 3 if Palms gets anything above 5 yikes! Also, Poulin and a 1st is not attractive to me for a thirty year old rental.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Seems the obvious answer is one of the LD (+*) for a forward.

Would really like a 2nd Lafferty in the lineup. His size and speed is a perfect combination for our roster and allows him to play on any line. If that's not available a slower version with more offensive prowess/power play ability would be just as good...maybe better. We still don't have that net front presence and a power forward on Geno's line has been a dream for years.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Dumo, McCann, 2022 2nd and maybe Legare are our trade bait. Maybe not McCann unless he can prove good with Geno. Dumo for a player, not futures.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I would like 1 Lafferty that had enough hockey sense to not be offensively useless for 90% of the season.

Early in his career and his linemates are not world beaters by any stretch. I don't think the focus should be on his production from a few dozen NHL games versus what he shown against certain matchups and in certain games. To me - he reminds me a lot of the young guys we started calling up years ago. Given an opportunity that wasn't 100% chip and chase hockey I think he'd prove a very useful tool in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->