Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Very interested in what the cost would be for Gusev

Underperforming this year on a bad team but he checks the boxes we should be looking for

Right handed shot for the powerplay, plays LW, would likely work with Malkin
Team Soft would be getting even more Charmin than the already are.

Reactions: KIRK

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Sure seem to be showcasing Pettersson on the top pair tonight

Would not miss him if he brought back a Kempe caliber 2nd/3rd line winger with some upside

My thoughts. Burke wants long pants hockey. Petts plays short pants hockey. Ya dig?

Petts isn't worth 4M to us. We have enough cash wrapped into the D. Leave the 3LD to Riik/POJ.

D is valued so we should get a decent tweener for him.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Team Soft would be getting even more Charmin than the already are.

Gusev would fill a role where they’re lacking

All for adding grit, but it should be on the fourth line

No top 6 forward that can play that style should be available for a reasonable enough price for it to make sense this year

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don’t really know if Gusev is a solution. But if he comes dirt cheap I’d try.

Agree and by dirt cheap I'd hope Petts isnt invloved. I am no fan of Petts but I think he should be used for something else that someone else values. I think he is what he is and there isnt much more there.

That being said he is young and teams need D

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What is actually a nice, realistic destination for Petterson - ie. a team needing a second pairing LD who is more of a nr. 4 than number 3, yet has age and contract on his side?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Petts has always been meh to me. I mean hes ok for a 4-5 guy but I dont think hes anything special. Ideally he should be a 5-6.

Hes not going to kill you but I think you can replace him. With our sudden defensive logjam (not that its a terrible thing) I think hes the guy to move. Of course Dumo has to prove he can stay healthy or moving him would hurt a little more

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
What is actually a nice, realistic destination for Petterson - ie. a team needing a second pairing LD who is more of a nr. 4 than number 3, yet has age and contract on his side?

I'd say to Calgary for Sam Bennett.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't see a deal between us and NJD while both are still playoff hopefuls. I know NJD have slid it out of it a bit, but one good week is all it takes for them to be back in it.

Looking around the league....

West

LAK - Could use a boost on defence and could protect him easily enough if they decide they don't mind exposing Maatta (or moving him again at the deadline). Arguably not at the stage of their rebuild where a guy like Pettersson makes sense tho; arguably might be thinking of going for the playoffs.

SJS - No hope this season, no ability to protect him in the expansion draft

Anaheim - No hope this season, no ability to protect him in the expansion draft

Arizona - Don't need him today, but would be able to protect him and depending on where they are with OEL could use him from next season. Very asset poor right now though.

Colorado - Very full defence

St Louis - Probably no need for him but - they are spluttering a little; they have been looking to move Dunn, who's top 4 there but not doing great; they could go 4-4 there and protect 4 dmen; he's not the sort of physical guy they like but he does bring the area to block a lot of real estate with his reach which they're kinda missing now. So... I guess maybe if Dunn talk heats back up?

Minnesota - Inn is full

Vegas - Don't really need him and I think complicates the ED for them. I guess maybe interested if McNabb's injury is really bad and they want to load for bear?

So in that division... maybe Kings, maybe Arizona and St Louis at stretches.

Might do the others later.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t really know if Gusev is a solution. But if he comes dirt cheap I’d try.

His skillset does lines up with what we could use beside Malkin - genuine offensive talent and smarts to play with, and the RH shot for the PP.

Like you say, if he's dirt cheap give him a shot...if there's nobody better available.

Agree and by dirt cheap I'd hope Petts isnt invloved. I am no fan of Petts but I think he should be used for something else that someone else values. I think he is what he is and there isnt much more there.

That being said he is young and teams need D

I like Pettersson and he's a good #4 defenseman, but considering he was the most hit player in the league last year and his head looks like it could fall off at any moment, I'm not sure about his long-term durability.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think the most PETTS did was sorta throw a check like twice

He's a lanky dude who looks like a strong breeze could push him over though

Reactions: KIRK

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Petts ticks me off. Hes got height and I of all people understand being a 'hard' gainer with a super fast metabolism...but he has access to world class trainers and nutritionists. It's also literally his job??

zero excuse why he doesn't gain to 195-210 range. He needs some muscle to do his job especially in front of our goalies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
His skillset does lines up with what we could use beside Malkin - genuine offensive talent and smarts to play with, and the RH shot for the PP.

Like you say, if he's dirt cheap give him a shot...if there's nobody better available.

I like Pettersson and he's a good #4 defenseman, but considering he was the most hit player in the league last year and his head looks like it could fall off at any moment, I'm not sure about his long-term durability.

Especially considering the fact he dawns the Pens sweater

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Petts ticks me off. Hes got height and I of all people understand being a 'hard' gainer with a super fast metabolism...but he has access to world class trainers and nutritionists. It's also literally his job??

zero excuse why he doesn't gain to 195-210 range. He needs some muscle to do his job especially in front of our goalies.

Isn't it more logical to assume that if he's not heavier, it's either because world class trainers can't get him there, or don't think he should? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad