Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Why Is All The Good Sticks Are Always Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Petts ticks me off. Hes got height and I of all people understand being a 'hard' gainer with a super fast metabolism...but he has access to world class trainers and nutritionists. It's also literally his job??

zero excuse why he doesn't gain to 195-210 range. He needs some muscle to do his job especially in front of our goalies.

I have given up on him adding 10 lbs of muscle. He just doesn't have the frame to support it.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I have given up on him adding 10 lbs of muscle. He just doesn't have the frame to support it.

It's very possible.

I thought it impossible - being over 6' and always having a fast metabolism (at least until my late 20's)...then I deployed a few times and had nothing better to do with my time off. First deployment at 21 years old I went from ~188lbs to 205, and the second I went from about ~200 to 210..... That's with an absolute garbage diet. Still could flat out run for half hour stints but finally had some size. It takes absolutely brutal gym sessions and proper workout routines. The trainers he has access to are educated in that stuff- I simply had old Marines and Navy dudes telling me how to go about it.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's very possible.

I thought it impossible - being over 6' and always having a fast metabolism (at least until my late 20's)...then I deployed a few times and had nothing better to do with my time off. First deployment at 21 years old I went from ~188lbs to 205, and the second I went from about ~200 to 210..... That's with an absolute garbage diet. Still could flat out run for half hour stints but finally had some size. It takes absolutely brutal gym sessions and proper workout routines. The trainers he has access to are educated in that stuff- I simply had old Marines and Navy dudes telling me how to go about it.

Fair. Maybe a non-COVID summer and he looks like an actual professional athlete next year.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Fair. Maybe a non-COVID summer and he looks like an actual professional athlete next year.

I trashed POJ a year and a half ago when everyone in our media was clamoring over him - because he looked like Connor Sheary would best him on the boards. That dude is already more solid than Pettersson (not saying much) - and hopefully isn't done in the gym.

Anyway - if it's Pettersson over Dumoulin going forward (still not sure on it), then yes I hope he starts to look like an athlete going forward. I know there's a genuine split decision in our fan base on toughness....but it's absolutely cringe worthy that every time Jarry is on his ass in the crease our guys are looking down and not making any eye contact or getting even a spec nasty in there. Angelo last night looked like we borrowed him from Calgary or San Jose or something - throwing his body around and punching guys in the crease....and he's more of a goal scorer. Why can't we have a forward or 3...a defender or 2 - who are actually a little nasty? Johnson's physicality was an absolute joke yet that's what we settled for in that department. I know Riikola isn't afraid in that department - Matheson seems to have an edge to him - but none of the guys we have I'd consider to be 'difference makers' in the physicality department. Errey pointed out last night how our guys were flat footed and not taking out men in the zone - how it allowed for pass plays to just continue....it's an issue against stingy and physical teams. Needs to be addressed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pretty much done with the excuses for Petts' inability (unwillingness) to bulk and strengthen up. Like others have said, it's literally his job to train and he has access to the best of everything. :laugh:

Dude just doesn't want to put in the work, and that's fine, JR paid him too much so he's got his money already.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty much done with the excuses for Petts' inability (unwillingness) to bulk and strengthen up. Like others have said, it's literally his job to train and he has access to the best of everything. :laugh:

Dude just doesn't want to put in the work, and that's fine, JR paid him too much so he's got his money already.

And you know this how? There's not been a whisper from anyone about the training staff being disappointed in how he turns up to training camp, and whispers of disappointment aren't that uncommon.

This is also the daily reminder that 2nd pairing dmen who can handle all situations and put up 25-30 points a year get 4m pretty regularly.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Best shape of his life, heard it from mario

Pouliot is furious pens coaches aren't bitching about petts workout ethic

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
And you know this how? There's not been a whisper from anyone about the training staff being disappointed in how he turns up to training camp, and whispers of disappointment aren't that uncommon.

This is also the daily reminder that 2nd pairing dmen who can handle all situations and put up 25-30 points a year get 4m pretty regularly.

Let's look at the D

Dumo-Letang (11+M)
Matheson-Marino (9+M)

No thanks on Petts @ 4M with our other contracts. I'd prefer the bottom pairing to consist of POJ, Riikola, Ceci (or someone like him), Ruh

I'd rather spend that cash up front to carry the load as Sid /Geno slow down.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Let's look at the D

Dumo-Letang (11+M)
Matheson-Marino (9+M)

No thanks on Petts @ 4M with our other contracts. I'd prefer the bottom pairing to consist of POJ, Riikola, Ceci (or someone like him), Ruh

I'd rather spend that cash up front to carry the load as Sid /Geno slow down.

Not this season. It’s less than 6 mil

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm talking next year.

Gotcha. I wouldn’t imagine we have all those you mentioned any way next season.

Who that’ll be, who knows? There’s lots of short sample sizes right now due to injury plus short sample sizes of how the D structure is plus goalie form.

It’s all connected but it’s hard to really gauge right now. Is it the coaches, is it the D men, is it the forwards, is it the goalies, is it the injuries etc.

Likely a mixture of all of it.

Reactions: Flying Dego

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
POJ changes the equation for Petts. He has more upside and can be a potential second pairing D man. Move Petts for a forward with some bite and find a way to balance the money. I posted him Petts and Sceviour for Jankrock and Sissons. Pens get a contract that is a little high but he does bring some grit. Jankrock can be that off wing for Malkin. Probably not Nashville's must have but finding a way to move Petts. Petts extension was a mistake for a 5 year 20 million by GMJR. But it is fixable with either a trade or looking at a buyout which is very favorable number wise.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why are the Penguins trading a 24 year old Pettersson over a 29 year old Dumoulin when the team is trying to get younger and prepare for the post-Crosby and Malkin years?

You'd get substantially more via trade for Dumoulin, he's noticeably older and is under contract for fewer years.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Petts is a good defenseman. Any complaints about him being weak or soft is more of a complaint about the entire defense than it is of any individual. If our defense was full of Gudbranson's, we'd be clamoring for a young, good skating defenseman capable of putting up 20-30 points and playing top 4 minutes. But we don't. We have a defense corps of good skating defenseman some of whom provide more offense potential (Letang, Matheson) or are cheaper (Marino (for now anyway), POJ, Ceci, Ruh, Riikola) or were a top pairing defenseman on a back-to-back Cup team (Dumo).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why are the Penguins trading a 24 year old Pettersson over a 29 year old Dumoulin when the team is trying to get younger and prepare for the post-Crosby and Malkin years?

You'd get substantially more via trade for Dumoulin, he's noticeably older and is under contract for fewer years.

I could see management wanting some stability on the left side with Matheson and POJ. Petts ain’t exactly that. But yeah, Dumoulin is the ideal asset to explore a trade for that’d make a legit impact.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Dumoulin has always been better, and has experience playing top pair in multiple Cup runs, and they want to win a Cup more than get younger for fun.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Definitely wouldn’t trade Dumo this season with how Petts has performed but I have no problem trading him this summer...trade whomever gets the better return...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumoulin has always been better, and has experience playing top pair in multiple Cup runs, and they want to win a Cup more than get younger for fun.

Dumoulin vs Pettersson on that top pair LD spot isn't going to make a difference.

They shouldn't be making decisions on the future based on what worked in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad