Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I 100% agree. While I do think letting go of Hornqvist, Cole and Kunitz at the time were good decisions, they were never really "replaced".

Althought I still believe that letting go of Bones in 2017 was a big mistake. By all accounts he was prepared to take a bit of a discount to stay. Instead we went into the season without a 3C, which would lead to the eventual Brassard trade and we all know how that turned out.

Sundqvist could probably have been this type of player for us too...

Why do people keep thinking Sundqvist is good?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Why do people keep thinking Sundqvist is good?

Because he's been a good contributor for a competitive team that's achieved more than the Penguins since the trade maybe? Just a wild guess you know.

Didn't really mean to start a Sundqvist discussion with my previous post though.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Because he's been a good contributor for a competitive team that's achieved more than the Penguins since the trade maybe? Just a wild guess you know.

Didn't really mean to start a Sundqvist discussion with my previous post though.

But he not a “good contributer” he just a guy that happens to play for a good team.

If that trade never happened he would be the guy everyone always wants to upgrade on. Hes just been martyred by the Reaves deal.

Reactions: BillPrep

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
But he not a “good contributer” he just a guy that happens to play for a good team.

If that trade never happened he would be the guy everyone always wants to upgrade on. Hes just been martyred by the Reaves deal.

meh usually I’d agree with you but the guy is a pretty good bottom 6 goal scorer for STL.

If he was putting up those exact numbers here I think we’d all love him, much like Blueger. He probably hits waivers before that happens if he had stayed however.

Trade is nearly 4 years old though, so it’s kind of a moot point.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
McCann+3rd for Bennett
Dumoulin for Dunn+2nd
STL 2nd+2022 2nd+Legare for Rakell

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bennett-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Jank-Kapanen
ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev
POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
any combo of Matheson/Dunn/Ceci/Ruh/Riik

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
meh usually I’d agree with you but the guy is a pretty good bottom 6 goal scorer for STL.

If he was putting up those exact numbers here I think we’d all love him, much like Blueger. He probably hits waivers before that happens if he had stayed however.

Trade is nearly 4 years old though, so it’s kind of a moot point.

I think if he was still here he would be seen much like all the other tall slow 25-35 point centers were. Meh.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Juice was one of my favorite pens during that timeframe, actually. Sykora as well...well I guess he was like 5 years earlier, but still.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Juice was one of my favorite pens during that timeframe, actually. Sykora as well...well I guess he was like 5 years earlier, but still.
Both helped win that cup in 2009.

They both were great, though Sykora was on his last legs here and had a very reduced role due to injuries or effectiveness.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He’s a solid fourth line center that was pissed away for no reason. I don’t think he’d be mentioned nearly as much if it wasn’t a debacle.

Doesn't play C that much. But he is good.

Although he has been full time this year so far.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He’s a solid fourth line center that was pissed away for no reason. I don’t think he’d be mentioned nearly as much if it wasn’t a debacle.

he was like the 5th or 6th best center and had to go through waivers. He hd no future here.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Doesn't play C that much. But he is good.

Although he has been full time this year so far.
He’s a decent fourth line player, something we don’t currently have.

He will score 25 or so points every season. Was it the biggest loss? No, but look at our bottom six centers since he left. We had clowns like McKegg, Rowney, Jankowski, etc.

He would have had a spot here. We were overly patient with Blueger and that worked out well.

Oh well. It shouldn’t be this hard to find a capable 4C.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The irony about people being up in arms about Burke and his weird "long pants hockey" thing, is that Sundqvist is the kind of player that Sonic the Eggnog seems to like. :dunno:

I mean, I think Burke is right to a degree. As KIRK pointed out earlier, we've let go of a lot of "Warriors" (not talking about plugs or goons), without adequately replacing them since we last won.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sundqvist isn't anything special, he's a 3rd line gritty winger who can sub in at center if needed. I think he'd help here but I also don't want to touch that contract, especially considering I think he'd be like oil and water here.

He's no more of a loss for this team than Josh Archibald is. Sure, they may be effective bottom-6 players on other teams, but you don't hold onto every single effective bottom-6 player you draft and develop. Teams with good development structures churn and burn those guys and have a constant stream of young talent to replace those guys. The Penguins definitely had that when they traded Sundqvist and I'd argue that they're still getting the benefits of that right now.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sundqvist was really good in the Blue's cup run. But he was surrounded by some really good players too. So. Who knows..

We don't need him right now. Blue is fine.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I think Burke is right to a degree. As KIRK pointed out earlier, we've let go of a lot of "Warriors" (not talking about plugs or goons), without adequately replacing them since we last won.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with us needing to get a certain degree of physicality and toughness back. I've been the biggest PF proponent on this board for like 15 years. :laugh: I'm just pointing out that a lot of the early complaining about Burke seems to be at odds with the general trend on this board to pine for players like Hornqvist and Sundqvist who are most certainly Burke-type players.

I think the big mistake GMJR and the coaching staff made was getting away from the balance of this team, not necessarily that we should get rid of speed or skill, but we need some players who are tough to play against, who are able to dish out some punishment, and also can serve as on-ice leaders.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Kind of at a loss on what we do.

Are bottom 6 which everyone thought would be super weak has had games where they outplay the top 6.

The game against Washington did you see the 4th line play in the offensive zone against I believe Backstrom for a full minute (they didn't create any offense but wasting a minute of play is great)

I feel like we have 2 problems

1. Top 6 is not working as well.
This can change as Malkin currently is not on however we see glimpses.
Crosby seems to be playing better and better.
Something has to give and are power play needs to produce.
We finally scored after 20 or 21 attempts. Our team needs to be converting at 20%+

I think our wingers are pretty good best set ever going into the season. I don't know if we should swap pairings or if it's fine. But sometimes the top 6 looks lost and then sometimes the top 6 looks amazing.

2. Goaltending. Before the season started I wanted to get a better back up for Jarrys first season as a full time starter.
Maybe we can get someone at the deadline or preferably sooner.
I just don't know what we give up.

-

Really don't know what assets we have to give or if we can make any upgrades. I think getting a better backup and keeping POJ and Poulin however is a top priority.
No giving up our 2022 1st either.

We need to give ourselves the best chance in these next 2 years and we also need to start looking at the future. I think UFA is our best hope.

I imagine we will become a middling team into a terrible team like Buffalo/Detroit.
Atleast we got 3 cups in 10 years I can live with being shit after that success.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On a similar topic to Sundqvist, I've always found it a little bit funny when fans make a big deal out of trading safe but low upside prospects. Sundqvist obviously fits that because he was moved in that laughably bad Reaves deal, but you also had people doing that with Hallander in the Kapanen trade. I have a feeling that these guys just don't hold a ton of value because their upside really isn't that difficult to acquire, especially if you're an attractive destination for UDFA.

It's why I don't really get why teams go for low upside and safe picks with early round picks. I feel like you should be going for boom/bust guys in early rounds because finding guys with boom potential is harder than finding guys with safe potential. You can get a safe and low upside prospects with late picks or signing UDFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad