Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sundqvist was really good in the Blue's cup run. But he was surrounded by some really good players too. So. Who knows..

We don't need him right now. Blue is fine.
He can play wing as stated earlier.

For those saying at the time of the trade is okay to rid him, also are not taking into consideration they keep adding guys from outside the Org. And as @HandshakeLine is reiterating about not replacing guys with a unique set of skills they used to deploy. It seems like they have been replacing those positions on the term (speed) and not look at other traits they lost in size, grit and other intangibles that made up a well balanced team.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He can play wing as stated earlier.

For those saying at the time of the trade is okay to rid him, also are not taking into consideration they keep adding guys from outside the Org. And as @HandshakeLine is reiterating about not replacing guys with a unique set of skills they used to deploy. It seems like they have been replacing those positions on the term (speed) and not look at other traits they lost in size, grit and other intangibles that made up a well balanced team.

so a tall slow 30 point winger? Wake me when thats what we should be looking for.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kind of at a loss on what we do.

Are bottom 6 which everyone thought would be super weak has had games where they outplay the top 6.

The game against Washington did you see the 4th line play in the offensive zone against I believe Backstrom for a full minute (they didn't create any offense but wasting a minute of play is great)

I feel like we have 2 problems

1. Top 6 is not working as well.
This can change as Malkin currently is not on however we see glimpses.
Crosby seems to be playing better and better.
Something has to give and are power play needs to produce.
We finally scored after 20 or 21 attempts. Our team needs to be converting at 20%+

I think our wingers are pretty good best set ever going into the season. I don't know if we should swap pairings or if it's fine. But sometimes the top 6 looks lost and then sometimes the top 6 looks amazing.

2. Goaltending. Before the season started I wanted to get a better back up for Jarrys first season as a full time starter.
Maybe we can get someone at the deadline or preferably sooner.
I just don't know what we give up.

-

Really don't know what assets we have to give or if we can make any upgrades. I think getting a better backup and keeping POJ and Poulin however is a top priority.
No giving up our 2022 1st either.

We need to give ourselves the best chance in these next 2 years and we also need to start looking at the future. I think UFA is our best hope.

I imagine we will become a middling team into a terrible team like Buffalo/Detroit.
Atleast we got 3 cups in 10 years I can live with being shit after that success.

The Caps are a weak team in the dot, so they were really exposed last game, Backstrom lost consistently against everyone to the tune of 13%. The Pens have had the advantage of this against a few teams, though, the winning success wasn't there.

The Caps are a bad team right now and are on the decline.

I still expect a push today, but I wouldn't put stock into these games promoting anyone. Once they start playing much better teams at all things little details, this team will struggle more.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Kind of at a loss on what we do.

Are bottom 6 which everyone thought would be super weak has had games where they outplay the top 6.

The game against Washington did you see the 4th line play in the offensive zone against I believe Backstrom for a full minute (they didn't create any offense but wasting a minute of play is great)

I feel like we have 2 problems

1. Top 6 is not working as well.
This can change as Malkin currently is not on however we see glimpses.
Crosby seems to be playing better and better.
Something has to give and are power play needs to produce.
We finally scored after 20 or 21 attempts. Our team needs to be converting at 20%+

I think our wingers are pretty good best set ever going into the season. I don't know if we should swap pairings or if it's fine. But sometimes the top 6 looks lost and then sometimes the top 6 looks amazing.

2. Goaltending. Before the season started I wanted to get a better back up for Jarrys first season as a full time starter.
Maybe we can get someone at the deadline or preferably sooner.
I just don't know what we give up.

-

Really don't know what assets we have to give or if we can make any upgrades. I think getting a better backup and keeping POJ and Poulin however is a top priority.
No giving up our 2022 1st either.

We need to give ourselves the best chance in these next 2 years and we also need to start looking at the future. I think UFA is our best hope.

I imagine we will become a middling team into a terrible team like Buffalo/Detroit.
Atleast we got 3 cups in 10 years I can live with being shit after that success.

Are you sure you aren’t confusing L4 with the BART line because they were the ones that had the extended O zone time shift in the last period?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Caps are a weak team in the dot, so they were really exposed last game, Backstrom lost consistently against everyone to the tune of 13%. The Pens have had the advantage of this against a few teams, though, the winning success wasn't there.

The Caps are a bad team right now and are on the decline.

I still expect a push today, but I wouldn't put stock into these games promoting anyone. Once they start playing much better teams at all things little details, this team will struggle more.

What better teams?

Or are you talking strictly from a FO point?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
so a tall slow 30 point winger? Wake me when thats what we should be looking for.

For the bottom six, on a team of injury laden players constantly, you'd think having a body or two who can withstand that more would be prudent.

You seem to think this team was built on just speed and soft small players when they won?

They were far from it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Caps are a pretty flawed team, That defense is awful. But their PP will carry them. I don't see anymore cups for Ovy.

I still fear the Caps powerplay. And I fear Kuznetsov when he's going.

But aside from that, way behind Boston and even Philly in our division.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So looking around the league one team who could use a top 4 LD is Winnipeg...so what about Dumo + Zucker for Conner or Ehlers, who can play LW too...as WPG doesn’t have much cap space, we’d have to equal it out through either retention or taking back a bottom six contract like Lowry...would be much improved

Jake-Sid-Rust
Connor/Ehlers-G-Kap
McCann-Lowry-Sceviour/Laff
BART

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Caps are a pretty flawed team, That defense is awful. But their PP will carry them. I don't see anymore cups for Ovy.

they’re the worst D in the division IMO ...we aren’t gonna get the kind of space out there we’re getting now from other teams—have to take advantage tonight

Reactions: Hamurai

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So looking around the league one team who could use a top 4 LD is Winnipeg...so what about Dumo + Zucker for Conner or Ehlers, who can play LW too...as WPG doesn’t have much cap space, we’d have to equal it out through either retention or taking back a bottom six contract like Lowry...would be much improved

Jake-Sid-Rust
Connor/Ehlers-G-Kap
BART

No chance in hell Winnipeg is moving either of those players.

Reactions: pensfan71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Okay. But like the Caps are one of the better teams in our division so I’m confused who in the division is going to expose us besides Boston.

I’m not convinced Philly was the dominate team in those games that the score indicated.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Jake-Sid-Rust
Connor/Ehlers-G-Kap
BART

You're not getting either for that package. Not even close.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sundqvist isn't anything special, he's a 3rd line gritty winger who can sub in at center if needed. I think he'd help here but I also don't want to touch that contract, especially considering I think he'd be like oil and water here.

He's no more of a loss for this team than Josh Archibald is. Sure, they may be effective bottom-6 players on other teams, but you don't hold onto every single effective bottom-6 player you draft and develop. Teams with good development structures churn and burn those guys and have a constant stream of young talent to replace those guys. The Penguins definitely had that when they traded Sundqvist and I'd argue that they're still getting the benefits of that right now.

To piggy back on Emp's point here, which is a good one-- again, it's not about getting Sundqvist back. It's about retaining a few of those kinds of players to add some different elements to the team. We don't have to go out and create a bottom 6 of slow-skating behemoths and enforcers. But having one or two players who bring a different element to the lineup would go a long way in changing how teams play against the Pens.

Ideally, we'd be bringing those players up from WB/S and plugging them into the lineup every year or so. But the glut of bottom 6 wingers with the same skill sets (or lack of skills period) means that we aren't doing that. We have some intriguing prospects and young players in WB/S who might be able to solve that problem in the near future, but I'm not sure any of them can make the jump just now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
To piggy back on Emp's point here, which is a good one-- again, it's not about getting Sundqvist back. It's about retaining a few of those kinds of players to add some different elements to the team. We don't have to go out and create a bottom 6 of slow-skating behemoths and enforcers. But having one or two players who bring a different element to the lineup would go a long way in changing how teams play against the Pens.

Ideally, we'd be bringing those players up from WB/S and plugging them into the lineup every year or so. But the glut of bottom 6 wingers with the same skill sets (or lack of skills period) means that we aren't doing that. We have some intriguing prospects and young players in WB/S who might be able to solve that problem in the near future, but I'm not sure any of them can make the jump just now.

Yeah, it’s been a long time since we’ve brought through a bottom six forward with some grit and jam.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, it’s been a long time since we’ve brought through a bottom six forward with some grit and jam.

Which seems to be mostly because Sullivan doesn't like those kinds of players when he has them. :dunno:

(Again, it seems silly to me because that's when he had his best success and he clearly knows how to use them in the lineup well when he has to, but hey, dude wanted 3 Rodrigueses because they're all gonna be goal scorers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad