Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To piggy back on Emp's point here, which is a good one-- again, it's not about getting Sundqvist back. It's about retaining a few of those kinds of players to add some different elements to the team. We don't have to go out and create a bottom 6 of slow-skating behemoths and enforcers. But having one or two players who bring a different element to the lineup would go a long way in changing how teams play against the Pens.

Ideally, we'd be bringing those players up from WB/S and plugging them into the lineup every year or so. But the glut of bottom 6 wingers with the same skill sets (or lack of skills period) means that we aren't doing that. We have some intriguing prospects and young players in WB/S who might be able to solve that problem in the near future, but I'm not sure any of them can make the jump just now.

It's great to have an identity, but there's such a thing as homogenous to the point of being unable to adapt.

Reactions: BillPrep and BHD

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
For the bottom six, on a team of injury laden players constantly, you'd think having a body or two who can withstand that more would be prudent.

You seem to think this team was built on just speed and soft small players when they won?

They were far from it.

No i dont but i dont think they were built on ho hum slow guys that happen to be tall either.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Maybe something around Dumo to Detroit for Mantha? Can Kapanen play LW?

Jake Sid Rust
Kappy Malkin Mantha
Zucker McCann Tanev
ZAR Blueger DOC/Lafferty

POJ Letang
Petts Marino
Matheson Ceci

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think NJD might be the 5th best team in the division, but why would you be scared of BUF they are awful?

It's not about being scared of them. Just that they might do the little things better than the other teams. It's just like the Islanders have "always" played the Pens hard for over a decade. Sometimes teams can have you number and you are not going to get freebie points.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So looking around the league one team who could use a top 4 LD is Winnipeg...so what about Dumo + Zucker for Conner or Ehlers, who can play LW too...as WPG doesn’t have much cap space, we’d have to equal it out through either retention or taking back a bottom six contract like Lowry...would be much improved

Jake-Sid-Rust
Connor/Ehlers-G-Kap
McCann-Lowry-Sceviour/Laff
BART

Very very very very optimistic Andy.

Are you ok?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's great to have an identity, but there's such a thing as homogenous to the point of being unable to adapt.

I mean, I thought a deep and well constructed lineup with speed, skill, and some grit was the identity, but clearly, I was wrong. :laugh:

Sullivan's most successful teams weren't even really all that fast. They had some fast players, but they weren't all speed demons. They had lots of skill, but also some grit. Somehow that all got flipped to just targeting skaters and guys who might somehow (if everything were to break exactly right) turn into 10-15 goal scorers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not about being scared of them. Just that they might do the little things better than the other teams. It's just like the Islanders have "always" played the Pens hard for over a decade. Sometimes teams can have you number and you are not going to get freebie points.

The Islanders have played us hard but we typically win those games. Same thing with BUF. I dunno, just seems like a negative nancy take. If we are beating WAS and NYI we should be good enough to beat BUF and NJD.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Also, there is close to zero chance WPG will ever trade Lowry. He's an amazing person and a great leader to have in the locker room. No chance

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
to much emphasis on fourth line combo's here. If the third line can play at this level, then sully can mix and match a fourth line with Lafferty, Jankowski and a couple others. But I do suspect the new guys will still want to see what adjustments to being a little more balanced going forward. McCann may be the guy to move to get that kind of player who brings that element of grit to the roster. Maybe Bennett is that guy but Burke and Hextall will want to get some size in here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No i dont but i dont think they were built on ho hum slow guys that happen to be tall either.

Well, the team had about 6 to 8 small guys on a roster of 23/24. Not all tall guys were slow per say, but they did have bigger slower guys who Sundqvist would match up well against. I don't think just labeling him slow is even fair, for his size he's not really a slug either.

How's this any different than, Geno?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
to much emphasis on fourth line combo's here. If the third line can play at this level, then sully can mix and match a fourth line with Lafferty, Jankowski and a couple others. But I do suspect the new guys will still want to see what adjustments to being a little more balanced going forward. McCann may be the guy to move to get that kind of player who brings that element of grit to the roster. Maybe Bennett is that guy but Burke and Hextall will want to get some size in here.

If COVID hadn't totally derailed the season and training camps, it would be interesting to see how Zohorna is progressing, because boy howdy, he's a biggun.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Islanders have played us hard but we typically win those games. Same thing with BUF. I dunno, just seems like a negative nancy take. If we are beating WAS and NYI we should be good enough to beat BUF and NJD.

It's not being a negative Nancy, it's giving credit where it's due, add this team is far from being a finished product. There are still games to be played. Now add in there's no reason other teams can get better too.

It just seems like taking things for granted they will just be the same all-the-time.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Well, the team had about 6 to 8 small guys on a roster of 23/24. Not all tall guys were slow per say, but they did have bigger slower guys who Sundqvist would match up well against. I don't think just labeling him slow is even fair, for his size he's not really a slug either.

How's this any different than, Geno?

Hows it any different than Jankowski, or Bjugstad or Fehr or Shehan.

Anyone can move unencumbered in a straight line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not being a negative Nancy, it's giving credit where it's due, add this team is far from being a finished product. There are still games to be played. Now add in there's no reason other teams can get better too.

It just seems like taking things for granted they will just be the same all-the-time.

Are you talking this year?

Over our last ten games we have the best record in the East after Boston and Philly. With the injuries this team suffered it is not a surprise we are barely above .500, but we make our own path this month. If we can go .500 against NYI and continue to stack wins against WAS there is no reason we miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and BHD

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
What about Bonino, Kuhnhackl, Lovejoy and so on who helped win cups?

Do you think Dumo's fast?

No i dont think Dumo is fast but i think he is good, Staal wasnt fast but was good, Bonino wasnt fast but was good.

See the difference? Sundqvist isnt good. Hes just a guy.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Was looking at younger (as in younger than Zucker), cheaper LWs this morning. Haven't seen Brock McGinn or Mattias Janmark mentioned yet. Both potential UFAs this offseason.

Reactions: BHD

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, I thought a deep and well constructed lineup with speed, skill, and some grit was the identity, but clearly, I was wrong. :laugh:

Sullivan's most successful teams weren't even really all that fast. They had some fast players, but they weren't all speed demons. They had lots of skill, but also some grit. Somehow that all got flipped to just targeting skaters and guys who might somehow (if everything were to break exactly right) turn into 10-15 goal scorers.

Yeah that's where the brass lost the plot.

There was room on our team for all kinds of wingers on the Cup runs so long as they performed a valuable role (Hagelin, Kessel, and Hornqvist are about as different stylistically as possible but each did something the other couldn't) but we've since defaulted to speed and/or defense as the roster de facto and anything else of value a winger might provide - offensive talent, grit/play in hard areas - is relegated to "nice bonus but inessential" backburner status.

But those elements are essential.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are you talking this year?

Yes. They are in uncharted waters, and by far it has been a rather easy schedule thanks to the NJD, and the Pens are riding home ice well, they have 3 more and then 4 away leading into a crowded March. Injuries, injuries that could still mount.

Seems weird to have 11 home games next month out of 15, but even I wouldn't count on them going 11-0 at home. They haven't even really played great, they've had a couple good games in a row.

I'm not overly confident just because a couple good games. It's a nice sign, but they only really had one really good game that came to their 2nd regulation win out of 13.

If you are not at least wondering... I'd say overconfidence will likely bite you is the ass.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes. They are in uncharted waters, and by far it has been a rather easy schedule thanks to the NJD, and the Pens are riding home ice well, they have 3 more and then 4 away leading into a crowded March. Injuries, injuries that could still mount.

Seems weird to have 11 home games next month out of 15, but even I wouldn't count on them going 11-0 at home. They haven't even really played great, they've had a couple good games in a row.

I'm not overly confident just because a couple good games. It's a nice sign, but they only really had one really good game that came to their 2nd regulation win out of 13.

If you are not at least wondering... I'd say overconfidence will likely bite you is the ass.

I don't see any reason to fear we will miss the playoffs unless you want to be the stereotypical Yinzer. We went .500 while using 12 defensemen against the best teams in the division. Expecting the team to suddenly collapse against the dregs is odd.

If anything more games will help weed out the inefficiencies of the other teams above us which are largely operating on unreal PP production which is usually a sign of the season beginning.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad