Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Gotta repeat this from the last thread:

We all had our fun when Brian Burke talked about needing to add guys who can play ugly hockey.

If he was talking about adding a dozen Dustin Penners (and a couple of hundred thousand donuts to keep them fed), then the mockery is well deserved.

BUT, if he was talking about the Pens needing what he's called swiss army knife players (like Kunitz, who he loved and he saw as someone who could and would do all kinds of different things) and warriors (like Bonino or Hornqvist or Cole), then frankly he's onto something, because guys like that play instrumental roles on cup winners, and the Pens never replaced any of them.

EDIT: @The Grim Reaper . . . I'm in Boulder CO for a visit. Saturday was a high of 9 and a low of 1. Yesterday was a high of 5 and a low of -5. That's actual temps. It 'felt' colder than that. Even my pups were going out and looking at me like 'who the **** are you kidding'. :biglaugh:

We definitely need more players like Kunitz, plays hard, scores hard. Hornqvist is another true blood. These type of players are rare anymore and I don’t know where we could get them from (anybody in WB?).

I used to live in Boulder (well, Aurora if I’m being more accurate), I love that area. Too bad you weren’t there during a better time of the year. Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dunes national parks are great places to visit. People used to “snow board” the dunes the summer, I’m sure they definitely do this time of the year. Check it out if you have time.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
FML...

RoPzI9f.jpg

It’s been -35 C in Winnipeg with the wind chill for over a week now.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Which is why the right play might be option 1:

One of Dumo or Pets for a LW who's a better fit with Malkin-Kapanen. Preferably someone with a little jam and ugly who can create space but still has enough skill and/or ability to read and react to Malkin to make it work. That's more than doable and without taking a cap hit.

In THAT scenario, as I said, Zucker-McCann becomes 2/3 of another line and you then see if that move and one more healthy defender to bump Ruh does enough to turn things for Jarry (and if it doesn't, then you look for a guy who's not necessarily a mega upgrade but does give Sullivan a better alternative than DeSmith).

EDIT: The true flaw in this approach is Sullivan may not use that guy added to better complement Malkin-Kapanen on a line with Malkin-Kapanen because 'what about Zucker'. :biglaugh:

If it were JR and he weren't attached to Zucker, he'd just swap Zucker for a better fit because he compartmentalizes things that way.

Agree that we need Zucker off L2 either way.

As for Dumo & Petts, I think that Dumo both fetches more and is worth less moving forward. The trend here with him is really alarming but maybe people around the league think it's from having to play Ryan Clark to Letang's Polamalu. I don't think Letang is universally lauded and that would actually help Dumo's value in those circles.
Petts may be better suited to be the Ryan Clark for Letang's sunset years.

Reactions: KIRK

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Dumoulin + 2022 2nd + Jankowski + Poulin

For

J. Stall

Make Jordan 2nd line Center and move Geno to wing and Put Zucker on the 3rd line. ZAR on the 4th.

Shitty takes brought to you by, the guy with the least original ideas.

Which is why I rarely give original takes, they are all shitty

Reactions: BillPrep

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

For

J. Stall

Make Jordan 2nd line Center and move Geno to wing and Put Zucker on the 3rd line. ZAR on the 4th.

Rather trade for Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

For

J. Stall

Staalkinreese

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have to be honest, I can’t tell if you’re joking or not. I hope you are.

I was about to say the exact same thing about you. Especially with the shtick about Sprong being a poor man's Tangradi and Tangradi being a poor man's Beau Bennett. Still trying to compute that one,

Staalkinreese

The only that could be better than some Jokinen talk is Malkin to the wing with Staal at center talk.

Ahhhhhhhh...Staalkin. Remember Tangradi-Staal-Malkin was supposed to be "Staalkingrad"?

Good times...good times.

Reactions: BillPrep and KIRK

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

We all had our fun when Brian Burke talked about needing to add guys who can play ugly hockey.

If he was talking about adding a dozen Dustin Penners (and a couple of hundred thousand donuts to keep them fed), then the mockery is well deserved.

BUT, if he was talking about the Pens needing what he's called swiss army knife players (like Kunitz, who he loved and he saw as someone who could and would do all kinds of different things) and warriors (like Bonino or Hornqvist or Cole), then frankly he's onto something, because guys like that play instrumental roles on cup winners, and the Pens never replaced any of them.

EDIT: @The Grim Reaper . . . I'm in Boulder CO for a visit. Saturday was a high of 9 and a low of 1. Yesterday was a high of 5 and a low of -5. That's actual temps. It 'felt' colder than that. Even my pups were going out and looking at me like 'who the **** are you kidding'. :biglaugh:

I wonder if Fla would do something around Matheson for Patric Hornqvist.

:naughty::help:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I 100% agree. While I do think letting go of Hornqvist, Cole and Kunitz at the time were good decisions, they were never really "replaced".

Althought I still believe that letting go of Bones in 2017 was a big mistake. By all accounts he was prepared to take a bit of a discount to stay. Instead we went into the season without a 3C, which would lead to the eventual Brassard trade and we all know how that turned out.

Sundqvist could probably have been this type of player for us too...

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Malkin played well at wing one time with Staal, and then he does well sporadically with Crosby, but I'm glad the wing idea was abandoned.

Not sure why people want Getzlaf, he's a meathead.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Two of those (three with Jokinen) are not like the other two. Comeau was a heck of deal here. I would love to have him in the bottom 6 right now. Perron still produced (produced in the past, produced here, and continues to produce...and is honestly quite underrated in terms of consistent production) but the fit wasn't there. Believe it or not, you can still score but not fit.

The common denominator among all of them is that they didn't fit with Malkin, although Spaling was more of a fill in. I wasn't compiling a list of one player type. And yes, the bolded is exactly my point about Zucker..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad