Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Disagree with this

LD is a clear position of strength and a guy like Pettersson or Dumoulin should be able to easily swing the 2nd/3rd line talent they would be looking for

But I also they think they would play POJ over Pettersson, not sure everyone would agree with that

I dunno what Petts' value is league-wide. He's a pretty good defensive D-man but for $4M for forever are you looking for better than that?

I think we overrate term on this board, especially in a flat cap. Term when a guy's objectively a bargain (Rust, Jake, Marino if he plays like he can) is great. Term for a Petts is something you'd grudgingly accept.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Disagree with this

LD is a clear position of strength and a guy like Pettersson or Dumoulin should be able to easily swing the 2nd/3rd line talent they would be looking for

But I also they think they would play POJ over Pettersson, not sure everyone would agree with that
Dumo's leg/ankle/foot/whatever is clearly messed up and was bothering him before he went down with this most recent injury. He's cooked. You deal him if you can find a taker and a decent return. Assuming he's done and/or gone, LD is not a position of strength. We have POJ, Matheson and Petts, in that order on the depth chart. Who else? Riikola? I mean, I'm high on the kid but he's never getting a real shot here.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I dunno what Petts' value is league-wide. He's a pretty good defensive D-man but for $4M for forever are you looking for better than that?

I think we overrate term on this board, especially in a flat cap. Term when a guy's objectively a bargain (Rust, Jake, Marino if he plays like he can) is great. Term for a Petts is something you'd grudgingly accept.

He’s still young enough that I think most GMs would view him paid correctly as a #4

How many GMs would see him as a #4 is a different question

Still don’t see his contract as being a negative in any potential deal

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dumo's leg/ankle/foot/whatever is clearly messed up and was bothering him before he went down with this most recent injury. He's cooked. You deal him if you can find a taker and a decent return. Assuming he's done and/or gone, LD is not a position of strength. We have POJ, Matheson and Petts, in that order on the depth chart. Who else? Riikola? I mean, I'm high on the kid but he's never getting a real shot here.

I don't think the idea that Dumo is cooked is shared league-wide, even if it's shared by you and me.

This is a league of 31 different GMs and player evaluations and Dumo has always had a great reputation in league circles.

Reactions: Peat

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020

Moving Dumo seems prudent but I doubt it happens

Moving Petts seems obvious given that Matheson is earning the expansion slot so far

Dumo/POJ
Matheson
Riikola

Looks like fine LD depth from my POV

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You're not getting anything substantial without trading a piece that helps you win now. We have no picks or prospects worth a damn, and we have no position of strength to deal from.

You'd just better hope someone like McCann finds a groove in a top-6 role if Zucker's done for a while.

First off we have plenty of assets to get a nice top 6 without hurting this year's club. Now whether it would be wise to do that is another issue. For example POJ is going out of the lineup when Dumoulin is back. POJ and Poulin are worth much more than what we traded for Zucker or Kapanen. Someone looking towards the future on a rebuild would give you a great forward for that.

I would just play McCann in Zucker's spot for now and if Zucker was out for the year then I would add. This team has the group to get the job done. Blueger is the best 3C we have had since Staal and the defense is going to be very strong when Dumoulin gets back we will have 3 good pairings.

I would try and make a hockey trade for a young good forward like we did with Kapanen for our young good defensman in POJ if some team is a good fit. Find a team that needs a young defensman that they need more than a young forward. We don't have to sell the future but make a good hockey trade. Hopefully Zucker is fine but I am not afraid to trade assets as long as it is not for a rental or aging player. Something like the opposite of when we traded Spring for Pettersson but just make sure that forward is not like Sprong but an actual good player. Young defensman are worth more than young wingers of equal ability.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Really? Because even when Dumo was at his best, he was always an unheralded, under the radar guy.

I dunno. He'd always get praise on national broadcasts and such. There's a perception that playing with a freelancer like Letang is a thankless task in some circles. No I don't completely know this, but Letang is a a divisive player and I think outsiders' perception of Dumo would be inversely proportional to their perception of Letang.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars

Moving Petts seems obvious given that Matheson is earning the expansion slot so far

Dumo/POJ
Matheson
Riikola

Our expansion slot are full at forward so its Petts/Dumo + at least our 2021 second pick for a Seattle payoff. Unless we just want to piss even more assets into the wind and just let Seattle take the said player.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Our expansion slot are full at forward so its Petts/Dumo + at least our 2021 second pick for a Seattle payoff. Unless we just want to piss even more assets into the wind and just let Seattle take the said player.

In theory could try and get a forward on an ELC or a UFA they thought they could resign post expansion draft

Personally wouldn’t be too concerned with moving Pettersson for a rental, he’s not that irreplaceable

Reactions: ChaosAgent

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Penguins are said to have an internal budget this year. Not every contract is covered by insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if Zucker's was not. They may not be all that interested in going with a big splash. Hockey revenues are tied to mostly butts in seats. There won't be butts in seats this season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Dumo/POJ
Matheson
Riikola

Not a ****ing chance I would protect Matheson.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Penguins are said to have an internal budget this year. Not every contract is covered by insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if Zucker's was not. They may not be all that interested in going with a big splash. Hockey revenues are tied to mostly butts in seats. There won't be butts in seats this season.

then they’re only giving lip service to trying to win another Cup with Sid and G...players aren’t happy when they want to win and the FO won’t fix the problems...

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
then they’re only giving lip service to trying to win another Cup with Sid and G...players aren’t happy when they want to win and the FO won’t fix the problems...
That's great but the team's got to make money too. It's not like the Penguins haven't tried at all this year to get Sid and Geno another one. They keep the team together, went out and got Kappy and Matheson. No business can continuously bleed money.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Sources?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean the expansion draft strategy ought to be to leave some of the older bigger contracts exposed... With POJ and Marino ineligible and Tanev most likely exposed, its fine to dangle a matheson in hopes they take him instead unless his sustained play justifies risking that long term contract

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I mean the expansion draft strategy ought to be to leave some of the older bigger contracts exposed... With POJ and Marino ineligible and Tanev most likely exposed, its fine to dangle a matheson in hopes they take him instead unless his sustained play justifies risking that long term contract
Losing Tanev at his contract wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad