Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trade Dumo and McCann in a package deal (once they get healthy). That should get us what we need to fortify the bottom six as well as maybe pick up a draft pick.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wanted a couple guys in FA, and wasn't impressed with the bargain bin guys we got, but I'm not really upsety spaghetti about missing out on Fast or Haula. Equally unconcerned about missing out on anyone else. Especially considering you've gotta have mutual interest in order to land a FA, and for several reasons, Pittsburgh isn't an attractive landing spot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Instead of discussing trades in the PGT...

I wonder if Lafferty + Riikola could get us Cousins.

Bottom 6 could then look like:

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
Aston-Reese, Malkin, Rust
McCann, Blueger, Tanev
O’Connor, Cousins, Sceviour

It sucks we don’t have Zucker for who knows how long, but ZAR is a better fit than McCann is with Geno and we know Sullivan won’t call anyone up to try them like you know O’Connor with Malkin so at least Cousins is a fantastic 4c type player that can really do some damage with being a bee in the other team’s bonnet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Trade Dumo and McCann in a package deal (once they get healthy). That should get us what we need to fortify the bottom six as well as maybe pick up a draft pick.
If Zucker is out long term, which if by some miracle he’s not, you can’t move McCann and Dumoulin for just a bottom 6 addition when this team likely can get the right player (like Cousins) for less from a horrible team that is likely already in sell mode.

I’ve always wanted Gaudette and Virtanen from the Canucks but both are right handed shots. This team needs another top 9 LW.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Zucker is out long term, which if by some miracle he’s not, you can’t move McCann and Dumoulin for just a bottom 6 addition when this team likely can get the right player (like Cousins) for less from a horrible team that is likely already in sell mode.

I’ve always wanted Gaudette and Virtanen from the Canucks but both are right handed shots. This team needs another top 9 LW.
If you're trading both in the same deal you could net both a low end top six guy and a third line player. In theory anyhow.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you're trading both in the same deal you could net both a low end top six guy and a third line player. In theory anyhow.
The thing is, only 1 team can really give that and it’s Nashville if you assume they would want Dumoulin and McCann for Arvidsson and Cousins, but that’s not much of a cap savings for them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing is, only 1 team can really give that and it’s Nashville if you assume they would want Dumoulin and McCann for Arvidsson and Cousins, but that’s not much of a cap savings for them.
GCvOVkG.png

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Definitely had interest in Iafallo last season. Didn't have a want or need for him in the off season, but it's back due to Zook's injury.

If it's a longer term injury, I believe the Pens can put him on LTIR and get some relief on that salary through insurance. No clue where to verify that though. And then they can replace Zook with a player up to his cap hit.

Would be cool to see Bellerive get some time on the fourth line.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Nah it’s trash. But whatever. It’s the same garbage like dreger making stupid Crosby rumors.

If Malkin starts off better these question aren’t even asked. Ben is done while Malkin still has 2-4 years left. Putting them together makes no sense. You can ask the question but don’t mash those two together. Not similar circumstances.

again butt hurt and missing the point.

btw malkin has exactly 1 season left on his contract. He is available to be extended this coming offseason.

i think that question is pretty pertinent.

its absolutely NOTHING like dregers nonsense

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Jeff Carter would be a great target for a number of reasons.

- His salary compared to cap is great
- He's old enough with just 2 years left on his deal - on a team that can afford retention
- Net/crease guy that we do not have outside of Guentzel/Sid
- Really solid on the PP
- Still has legs
- Big forward that adds a little more to the lineup

Chatted with the LA guys about him yesterday...they seem to have no interest in dealing him because they're on a roll. But A) They don't represent the organization and B) that organization seems more fixated on a future a few seasons from now versus getting after it this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jeff Carter would be a great target for a number of reasons.

- His salary compared to cap is great
- He's old enough with just 2 years left on his deal - on a team that can afford retention
- Net/crease guy that we do not have outside of Guentzel/Sid
- Really solid on the PP
- Still has legs
- Big forward that adds a little more to the lineup

Chatted with the LA guys about him yesterday...they seem to have no interest in dealing him because they're on a roll. But A) They don't represent the organization and B) that organization seems more fixated on a future a few seasons from now versus getting after it this year.

Isn't it pretty well established that Carter would refuse to report to any team if he was traded? Beyond that, Carter doesn't have a spot on this team at 5v5 beyond the 4th line (or 3B line if you want to call it that) and has way too high of a cap hit for what the Penguins can afford.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Isn't it pretty well established that Carter would refuse to report to any team if he was traded? Beyond that, Carter doesn't have a spot on this team at 5v5 beyond the 4th line (or 3B line if you want to call it that) and has way too high of a cap hit for what the Penguins can afford.

I didn't know about that (though...Zucker/wife?) - however he's also played a LOT more RW with LA recently - so if anything he could be slotted anywhere between 3C, 4C, or RW to Sid/Geno/Teddy. Versatility wouldn't be bad there - he's certainly different than the smorgasbord of smaller speedier wingers we have. I think the biggest attribute we would notice right away would be the net front and power play. For 2.5-3M he would be worth finding a spot in your lineup for.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
While I think you may be right... that’s exactly what was said about Zucker last year......

but lets be honest, barring a major need arising, they probably aren’t making any splash moves this season....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't know about that (though...Zucker/wife?) - however he's also played a LOT more RW with LA recently - so if anything he could be slotted anywhere between 3C, 4C, or RW to Sid/Geno/Teddy. Versatility wouldn't be bad there - he's certainly different than the smorgasbord of smaller speedier wingers we have. I think the biggest attribute we would notice right away would be the net front and power play. For 2.5-3M he would be worth finding a spot in your lineup for.

1. Your top-9 RWers are Kapanen, Rust and Tanev, I really don't see why you need to get another guy.
2. You have your 3C already in Blueger
3. Carter would probably raise hell about playing 4C for the Penguins

I've made this point before, but I think people really need to recognize that players are people too. If you acquire a 2nd liner and play them on the 4th line, they're likely going to be mad about that and their play will suffer because of it. You can get away with it in the playoffs, but good players will raise issues about playing in limited roles. I can think of 2 examples with the Penguins really easily in Kessel and Brassard, and that was with them playing in a 3rd line role, not a 3B or 4th line role.

The Penguins 4th line (or 3B line if you want to call it that) is going to be playing 10-11 minutes a night, based on how Sullivan used the bottom-6 last year. If you take a guy who is used to playing 17-18 minutes a night and cut his ice time down to 10-11 minutes, he's going to complain unless he's a perfect team player. Maybe you can push one of Tanev or ZAR to that line and it wouldn't be an issue, but nothing I've seen from Sullivan makes me think that he'll break up that line anytime soon.

While I think you may be right... that’s exactly what was said about Zucker last year......

but lets be honest, barring a major need arising, they probably aren’t making any splash moves this season....

No it wasn't?

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
1. Your top-9 RWers are Kapanen, Rust and Tanev, I really don't see why you need to get another guy.
2. You have your 3C already in Blueger
3. Carter would probably raise hell about playing 4C for the Penguins

I've made this point before, but I think people really need to recognize that players are people too. If you acquire a 2nd liner and play them on the 4th line, they're likely going to be mad about that and their play will suffer because of it. You can get away with it in the playoffs, but good players will raise issues about playing in limited roles. I can think of 2 examples with the Penguins really easily in Kessel and Brassard, and that was with them playing in a 3rd line role, not a 3B or 4th line role.

The Penguins 4th line (or 3B line if you want to call it that) is going to be playing 10-11 minutes a night, based on how Sullivan used the bottom-6 last year. If you take a guy who is used to playing 17-18 minutes a night and cut his ice time down to 10-11 minutes, he's going to complain unless he's a perfect team player.

No it wasn't?

Carter would /could play higher in the lineup than either Tanev or Kap. He's got a better and more complete scoring touch than either (though Kap is showing some promise) and he's a hell of a lot better defensively than Kapanen. If he were at wing - he would be wherever Rust wasn't. The other thing is that we could use the C depth. Yes we have Sid/Geno/Teddy - but there's a super high chance we don't for a stretch of games. Teddy could also readily play a 4C role and bring a better scoring touch to it. In the current lineup I'd see Carter as a RW but if/when needed he'd slot in as a 2/3C. Yes he's a person I get it - he'd also be looking at getting more points coming to a team like the Pens - still keep his power play time - and wouldn't be traded off to some bottom feeder for some more prospects/picks or left for an expansion.

I don't think he, nor his agent have any misconceptions about his future in LA. He's got this year, next - then he's looking at a 1 or 2 year deal (EDIT: and that may not be in LA, obviously).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Carter would /could play higher in the lineup than either Tanev or Kap. He's got a better and more complete scoring touch than either (though Kap is showing some promise) and he's a hell of a lot better defensively than Kapanen. If he were at wing - he would be wherever Rust wasn't. The other thing is that we could use the C depth. Yes we have Sid/Geno/Teddy - but there's a super high chance we don't for a stretch of games. Teddy could also readily play a 4C role and bring a better scoring touch to it. In the current lineup I'd see Carter as a RW but if/when needed he'd slot in as a 2/3C. Yes he's a person I get it - he'd also be looking at getting more points coming to a team like the Pens - still keep his power play time - and wouldn't be traded off to some bottom feeder for some more prospects/picks or left for an expansion.

I don't think he, nor his agent have any misconceptions about his future in LA. He's got this year, next - then he's looking at a 1 or 2 year deal (EDIT: and that may not be in LA, obviously).

1. Blueger's on pace for over 50 points this year while dominating analytically. Why are we talking about moving him down to the 4C spot? There is a substantially larger argument for making him the 2C over making him the 4C.
2. The Penguins already have a stopgap top-9 center in case of an injury in McCann, so they don't need to acquire another guy to fill that role. I also don't like acquiring players based on being potential injury fill-ins (for example I don't like acquiring top-6 wingers to play on the 3rd line because "we need someone who can step into the top-6 in case of an injury"), they should have a clearly defined role without needing to worry about an injury.
3. Carter may be better than Kapanen or Tanev, but do you think there is any chance Sullivan breaks up BART or plays Kapanen on the 4th line? I'm highly skeptical about either of those. And frankly, they shouldn't be breaking up BART right now anyway.

I really think people need to realize that the Penguins have a clearly defined group of top-9 forwards, so you need to trade one of those 9 guys or hope Sullivan breaks up a line/combination that he likely won't break up if you want to acquire someone else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could maybe see a scenario where the Penguins pushing one of ZAR or Tanev to the 4th line makes sense, but I really don't think that's ever going to happen with how BART has performed this year and last year. Something like ZAR-Blueger-Kapanen and McCann-4C-Tanev (I think Jankowski as the 4C would probably be fine in this scenario, but I'd prefer to look elsewhere regardless) with having a top-6 spot open might work, but that's just not a move I see Sullivan making. I just can't see him breaking up BART right now.

I don't see any scenario that involves anyone else currently in the top-6 being on the 3rd line outside of Kapanen as reasonable, and I'm pretty skeptical they'd do that with Kapanen either.

I think the best realistic case scenario is that you get another guy in the same boat as 2019 McCann (young defensive bottom-6 C/W struggling to find a spot) and stick him on the 3B line with McCann and ERod. This would be especially good because I imagine McCann is gone in the expansion draft after this year, so that new guy would slide into McCann's old role.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wouldn't get caught up in the semantics of calling Blueger's line L3 or L4.

In my mind, you keep using BART exactly how they are using them and then build a line around McCann and use them in more offensive situations.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I could maybe see a scenario where the Penguins pushing one of ZAR or Tanev to the 4th line makes sense, but I really don't think that's ever going to happen with how BART has performed this year and last year. Something like ZAR-Blueger-Kapanen and McCann-4C-Tanev (I think Jankowski as the 4C would probably be fine in this scenario, but I'd prefer to look elsewhere regardless) with having a top-6 spot open might work, but that's just not a move I see Sullivan making. I just can't see him breaking up BART right now.

I don't see any scenario that involves anyone else currently in the top-6 being on the 3rd line outside of Kapanen as reasonable, and I'm pretty skeptical they'd do that with Kapanen either.

I think the best realistic case scenario is that you get another guy in the same boat as 2019 McCann (young defensive bottom-6 C/W struggling to find a spot) and stick him on the 3B line with McCann and ERod. This would be especially good because I imagine McCann is gone in the expansion draft after this year, so that new guy would slide into McCann's old role.
Yeah, we basically need to find one versatile bottom6 forward, ideally to replace Jankowski. Also, losing McCann in expansion draft is acceptable. Tanev is more important for this team anyway. But maybe Tanev´s best years are now and losing him for the remainder of his contract is not the end of the world. But we will have to find another Tanev clone then. He is very specific and very important for this team now, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad