Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We’ve got forwards! Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Considering what they gave Schmidt away for I don’t think they are going to get a lot for whoever they move.

It’s why you have to give JR props for the Bjugstad and Hornqvist moves because otherwise we’d be even more f***ed.

I think if try to move Hornqvist after UFA we are retaining on him which would suck.

I look at it differently. I don't see any good reason why why needed to jettison an effective Hornqvist for an underperforming blueliner who makes nearly as much money for twice as long, and I think we prematurely blew our asset load on a winger who hasn't shown he can fill our roster holes.

Guess we'll see if Marchessault's moved and what for.

Reactions: EightyOne

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Poulin can’t make team Canada but many people here have him slated in the top 9 in the NHL.

Let that sink in. Poulin isn’t an answer this year, sign someone else please.

But but but we are a small market team, we shouldn’t try to compete this year because Mario didn’t get to cash in his two playoff home games last year.
you under estimate the quality of the players ahead of him on Canada's team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Poulin can’t make team Canada but many people here have him slated in the top 9 in the NHL.

Let that sink in. Poulin isn’t an answer this year, sign someone else please.

But but but we are a small market team, we shouldn’t try to compete this year because Mario didn’t get to cash in his two playoff home games last year.
The thing that infuriates me is the notion that we can't afford quality depth players so we have to go for bottom basement ham n eggers because we're (supposedly pinching pennies). My issue here is that with the money we allocated for the three curtain jerkers, we could have brought in a quality piece or two. It's not about the money or the cap space, it's about the allocation.

And to tell you the truth, I'd be ok with ERod IF he were a secondary acquisition.

And it's not just the notion that I believe they could have used those funds much better. I honestly don't see how they could have realistically used them much worse.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I look at it differently. I don't see any good reason why why needed to jettison an effective Hornqvist for an underperforming blueliner who makes nearly as much money for twice as long, and I think we prematurely blew our asset load on a winger who hasn't shown he can fill our roster holes.

Guess we'll see if Marchessault's moved and what for.

Well, because we’d be paying 5 mil for a bottom six forward and likely have a defense of..

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Ceci

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well, because we’d be paying 5 mil for a bottom six forward and likely have a defense of..

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Ceci
They had Riikola and Ruw; they still could have bought out Johnson without acquiring a nearly $5 mill bottom pairing dmen.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They clearly aren’t comfortable with that.

Matheson represents a different style of defenseman from basically anyone on the roster not named Letang, too. They simply don't have anyone else that talented on the blueline outside of a guy that is likely bound for the HOF and one of the best all-timers to play in Pittsburgh. People can hate his contract all they want but I don't get why more people aren't at least intrigued.

As for Riikola you're right but it begs the question why they singed him to begin with ha

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
you under estimate the quality of the players ahead of him on Canada's team.
But but but how didn’t he make the team if he looked so good during the camp? Wasn’t he going to be one of the oldest players on the team? I understand that there were so many first round picks, but I’ve had to hear so much about this guy from posters that never saw him play an actual game.

I guess I was right when I said let’s stop assuming this guy will make our team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
They clearly aren’t comfortable with that.

Also, I question how we let a team that has won 0 playoff games in the last two years off without making a trade.
Why do you sign Riikola to a 2 year, $2,3 million contract if you can’t trust him??????

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Matheson represents a different style of defenseman from basically anyone on the roster not named Letang, too. They simply don't have anyone else that talented on the blueline outside of a guy that is likely bound for the HOF and one of the best all-timers to play in Pittsburgh. People can hate his contract all they want but I don't get why more people aren't at least intrigued.

As for Riikola you're right but it begs the question why they singed him to begin with ha
I think many of us are intrigued by Matheson. But the BS with Ruh and Riikola didn’t make sense, and Matheson’s contract is a huge risk. You simply cannot overlook his contract.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think many of us are intrigued by Matheson. But the BS with Ruh and Riikola didn’t make sense, and Matheson’s contract is a huge risk. You simply cannot overlook his contract.

You aren't what I'd call wrong but ya'll also seem awfully willing to overlook the idea of tossing money around willy nilly on 3rd liners so I'm not sure what gives.

Yeah his contract is egregious. It's a mystery why anyone would give dude an 8 year deal and of course there is risk. But there is plenty of risk tossing fliff around in free agency too and you guys are stoked to do it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But but but how didn’t he make the team if he looked so good during the camp? Wasn’t he going to be one of the oldest players on the team? I understand that there were so many first round picks, but I’ve had to hear so much about this guy from posters that never saw him play an actual game.

I guess I was right when I said let’s stop assuming this guy will make our team.
Gotta say I was much higher on him this time last year. Granted with the Virus it's been a topsy turvy year, but his progression isn't where I expected it to be.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A lot of the moves that have been made recently haven't made sense. Ceci? Jankowski? It's as if we're not even trying to compete.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Because there is an expansion draft coming up, he has played over 30 games in his last two seasons here, and is an RFA?
Ahhh yea, I forgot you try to use the expansion draft to blindly defend this team for everything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How could people who have watched the same Penguins team for the last 3 years basically advocate for doing nothing with the bottom-6? Because that's essentially what saying "they shouldn't have traded Hornqvist" is advocating.

In the last 3 playoff runs, Hornqvist was on the ice for 3 goals for in 150 minutes away from Crosby (overall -6 at 5v5). That's 3 goals in 18 games in total. The powerplay was working at 14.3% in the last 2 years in the playoffs. Hornqvist couldn't stay healthy whatsoever and his effectiveness at ES had clearly started to show signs of declining. Yet that was somehow okay and they should have kept him?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ahhh yea, I forgot try to use the expansion draft to blindly defend this team for everything.
Yeah, that's seems to be a bit of a reach. If that's an argument to use it's not a very good one IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How could people who have watched the same Penguins team for the last 3 years basically advocate for doing nothing with the bottom-6? Because that's essentially what saying "they shouldn't have traded Hornqvist" is advocating.

In the last 3 playoff runs, Hornqvist was on the ice for 3 goals for in 150 minutes away from Crosby (overall -6 at 5v5). That's 3 goals in 18 games in total. The powerplay was working at 14.3% in the last 2 years in the playoffs. Hornqvist couldn't stay healthy whatsoever and his effectiveness at ES had clearly started to show signs of declining. Yet that was somehow okay and they should have kept him?

I've been saying this for going on two years... don't even bother with Hornqvist. There will never be an ill word heard about the guy even if the writing was very clearly on the wall for a while, now.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, that's seems to be a bit of a reach. If that's an argument to use it's not a very good one IMO.
The homer guy earlier said they shouldn’t sign a guy like Granlund because it could expose Blueger to the expansion draft. So let’s have a crappier team to avoid the possibility of losing Blueger.

The only goal this year should be to not lose Blueger in the expansion draft.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've been saying this for going on two years... don't even bother with Hornqvist. There will never be an ill word heard about the guy even if the writing was very clearly on the wall for a while, now.

Yeah, I didn't even include the speculative comments like "Crosby didn't want to play with him" or "the Penguins needed to move out his money to address other areas on the roster". I'm just looking purely at the results, and there's pretty much nothing there that suggests that they should have kept Hornqvist. Even trading him for a prime aged defenseman with a bad contract is likely preferable to holding onto him for too long.

It's the same situation as Kessel, you don't hold onto the grenade for longer than you have to. I'm very willing to bet that Hornqvist will have some sort of Kessel-like decline during his current contract. "Not being stuck with Hornqvist's contract" is just as much of a positive as "not being stuck with Kessel's contract" was with the Kessel return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad