Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We’ve got forwards! Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
4moimq.jpg

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So I thought I should do a non sarcasm post:laugh:. Let’s forget about signings. Is their any legit trades that people would like to look at?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So I thought I should do a non sarcasm post:laugh:. Let’s forget about signings. Is their any legit trades that people would like to look at?
I personally would like to make 0 trades and run with what we got. Maybe get a better back up goalie.

That is all I would want.
Still not a fan of McCann playing wing over centre but atleast if he stays wing we aren't changing his position and line mates every game. Now it's just line mates

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I was looking through the roster and trying to figure who is the odd man out?

Yeah there’s no one of any real value that we should trade. I mean McCann would have the most value out of potential expendables but he’s also one of our best bottom 6 players too.

I’m looking for a smart RW that would be a really good 3rd liner. Internal cap and asset wise things would have to line up pretty well.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah there’s no one of any real value that we should trade. I mean McCann would have the most value out of potential expendables but he’s also one of our best bottom 6 players too.

I’m looking for a smart RW that would be a really good 3rd liner. Internal cap and asset wise things would have to line up pretty well.

Drop ZAR for a bag of pucks. Demote Laff or Ruh or both.

Sign Granlund for 2.5M for 1 year

Zucker-Sid-Granlund/Kap
Guentzel-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bleuger-Kap/Granlund
Rod-Jank-Tanev
Scev

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

All of the ones I wanted and none of the ones I didn't want.

Drop ZAR for a bag of pucks. Demote Laff or Ruh or both.

Sign Granlund for 2.5M for 1 year

Zucker-Sid-Granlund/Kap
Guentzel-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bleuger-Kap/Granlund
Rod-Jank-Tanev
Scev

And then when injuries happen, we just run Riikola as the 4th line wing? Maybe bump Matheson up to the third line?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
And then when injuries happen, we just run Riikola as the 4th line wing? Maybe bump Matheson up to the third line?

You have Scev as an extra. Call up Laff, O'Connor, other young guy when injuries occur...

Are you worried about replacing ZAR with Granlund?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You have Scev as an extra. Call up Laff, O'Connor, other young guy when injuries occur...

I didn’t look at the numbers but does it work cap wise if you sign Granlund and send guys down?

For example if an injury is only IR and not LTIR they’re still against the cap. Can you still bring someone up?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Any of the top 6 free agents available, even before the free agent signing period would have no reason to sign in Pittsburgh for 3rd/4th line minutes because the top 6 has pretty much been set since before free agency. So everyone saying they would sign, that is the reason they would not want to sign in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I didn’t look at the numbers but does it work cap wise if you sign Granlund and send guys down?

For example if an injury is only IR and not LTIR they’re still against the cap. Can you still bring someone up?

Subtracting ZAR and Laff brings us 3M capspace. Granlund at 2.5 leaves roughly .5M.

I believe LTIR is the only way to go over the limit BUT when do we not have a good player on LTIR? I think we'd have a little wiggle room with call ups.

My plan leaves our roster with 13F 8D. Maybe I need a cap guru to balance me but my idea sounds good to myself. :D

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Any of the top 6 free agents available, even before the free agent signing period would have no reason to sign in Pittsburgh for 3rd/4th line minutes because the top 6 has pretty much been set since before free agency. So everyone saying they would sign, that is the reason they would not want to sign in Pittsburgh.

I feel our pitch to Granlund would be tempting. He has familiarity with Zucker (last time he was a 60 point fwd) and he could pair with one of our top centers. I think our roster gives him the best chance to maximize his value.

Reactions: TySmith4Norris

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

No, my worry would be cap. The only time you get relief on a cap hit is when they go on LTIR. If someone is just day-to-day, you need the cap space to be able to call someone up - Laff, OC, etc. Yes, Sceviour would be there for one injury, but what about the next injury? Pretty regular that we have a couple guys go down. Remember in 2015 when the cap space was botched a bit and we had to run 11 forwards or 5 dmen because we didn't have the space to call anyone up? Riding out the remainder of the RS in a playoff spot is one thing, positioning yourself in that corner to start the season...not a great idea.

I think the dreams of a guy like Granlund or even Haula went out the door with the signing of Ceci...and possibly ERod. If they were willing to spend money there, it's likely they weren't giving it to either of the guys I mentioned. And who knows, maybe JR did reach out and they turned down the chance to play here. Just because we don't sign them doesn't mean there weren't discussions going on. Kinda like trade rumors - just because it didn't come to fruition doesn't mean it wasn't discussed.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Subtracting ZAR and Laff brings us 3M capspace. Granlund at 2.5 leaves roughly .5M.

I believe LTIR is the only way to go over the limit BUT when do we not have a good player on LTIR? I think we'd have a little wiggle room with call ups.

My plan leaves our roster with 13F 8D. Maybe I need a cap guru to balance me but my idea sounds good to myself. :D

And that's where I'm out. Half a mil isn't enough "wiggle room" when you're likely call ups are all $700k and above.

And clarify, who is taking ZAR for $1mil if Granlund is available for $2.5mil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->