Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We’ve got forwards! Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, because we’d be paying 5 mil for a bottom six forward and likely have a defense of..

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Ceci

Not acquiring Matheson doesn't mean that the team has to go full idiot and retain JJ. Ceci's another move in the "JR done f***ed up" column.

As it stands we're paying over 6 mil for our bottom pair.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The homer guy earlier said they shouldn’t sign a guy like Granlund because it could expose Blueger to the expansion draft. So let’s have a crappier team to avoid the possibility of losing Blueger.

The only goal this year should be to not lose Blueger in the expansion draft.
Seems as though some are overthinking it a bit. So, we should sabotage this upcoming season, I guess?

Considering we have aging stars it's likely now or never. Granted you have to consider both long and short term objectives, but clearly we're a win now team. Not that I expect us to reach the promise land, but at least make moves to better your chances. These UFA signings don't really signal that unfortunately.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A lot of the moves that have been made recently haven't made sense. Ceci? Jankowski? It's as if we're not even trying to compete.
Riikola as the 3rd pair LD with a veteran Rd and Ruhwedel as the 7th was what I wanted.

But it was clear Sully wasn't comfortable with it and so we have Ceci. Because all his horse shit talk about being ok with Pettersson - Riikola was just bullshit.

Hitting the liquor early?
Pettersson sucks.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t really see what is so shocking about signing Riikola.

I forgot you just want to bitch about every signing repetitively for months.
I think the Murray trade was solid. I think the Jank signing will be decent as well if used strictly as a 4C.

The FL trade was ok - it was time for Horny to probably go, but we have failed to find a suitable replacement on the third line and we are taking an enormous risk on Matheson.

I think Rodrigues is a warm body, I think Ceci kind of sucks, and I think failing to find a more proven backup goalie will be devastating down the road. In an off season when this team strangely only focused on depth, how do not try to upgrade this area?

Wr cleared so much cap space this off season, and largely replaced it with fringe NHL players or huge gambles.

But but but the expansion draft...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not acquiring Matheson means you have an aging 34 year old forward who has declining results, an oft-injured body and a questionable fit on the current team :dunno:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not acquiring Matheson doesn't mean that the team has to go full idiot and retain JJ. Ceci's another move in the "JR done f***ed up" column.

As it stands we're paying over 6 mil for our bottom pair.

And under 5 million for our 2nd pair. Let’s also see what loyalty Sullivan has to Ceci if he is bad.

I hate the Ceci deal. So, I’m not trying to defend that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the Murray trade was solid. I think the Jank signing will be decent as well if used strictly as a 4C.

The FL trade was ok - it was time for Horny to probably go, but we have failed to find a suitable replacement on the third line and we are taking an enormous risk on Matheson.

I think Rodrigues is a warm body, I think Ceci kind of sucks, and I think failing to find a more proven backup goalie will be devastating down the road. In an off season when this team strangely only focused on depth, how do not try to upgrade this area?

Wr cleared so much cap space this off season, and largely replaced it with fringe NHL players or huge gambles.

We didn’t clear very much cap at all. Our cap was largely already accounted for by McCann, Pettersson and Jarry’s raises. We needed to replace Schultz and sadly we have nobody internally so we either would have spent the money on a free agent option like Vatanen or DeMelo which come with their own warts.

It is why a good portion of us said McCann was the player to move if he wasn’t going to be the 3C because he had value.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
March for Sceviour+3rd
Tanev+Sweetner to wherever
Lol they hang up before you even say sweetener.

A dime a dozen fourth liner and an overpaid 4th liner. JR will need a stick to keep the league away from this offer.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

i think we have an over abundance of players that could have a nice bonce back year. not all will but we should be able to pick out the best and dump the rest.:nod:

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The problem is the Pens 3rd and 4rth line are just ok...Still got rather sloppy defenders...I would not trade draft picks away anymore...That is proving to be a huge mistake.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The problem is the Pens 3rd and 4rth line are just ok...Still got rather sloppy defenders...I would not trade draft picks away anymore...That is proving to be a huge mistake.

I don't think we have any picks to trade

Our next draft pick is fifth round in 2027

Basically

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hornqvist couldn't stay healthy whatsoever and his effectiveness at ES had clearly started to show signs of declining. Yet that was somehow okay and they should have kept him?
Hornqvist's ES production in his first 5 season in Pittsburgh:
355GP / 69 goals / 82 assists / 151 points >>> 0.425 ES P/GP

Hornqvist ES production last year
52GP / 14 goals / 11 assists / 25 points >>> 0.480 ES P/GP

So not only did he do better than his average, but he also had worse linemates than normal. Reduced role.
Obviously we'll agree on the health, but playing 52 out of 69 games was decent considering our injuries last year :laugh:

You would have had a better case if you said PP production, which dropped hard. But even that is largely a symptom of our PP being dogshit last year and not giving him a chance to do his thing. With Reirden taking over the PP, I would have expected Horny to get his mojo back there...at least if they chose to use him again.

Trading him sort of made sense with his age, role and health issues, I suppose. But why for Matheson? We needed to off-load his contract and use the cap space to address one of our needs, like a good 3C, or Pacioretty/Marchessault or something. Instead, we acquired a 3rd pairing caliber D who led the league in giveaways a few years ago, was being benched and has 6 years at 4.875mil left. Overloaded on the left side now, and have a questionable 3rd pair RD in Ceci. Have a solid 3rd pair D in Riikola who's not gonna hurt you, but will probably be eating nachos now... yet again.

Maybe Matheson rediscovers his 2017-18 form but Rutherford's taking quite a leap of faith here. Odds are against him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How could people who have watched the same Penguins team for the last 3 years basically advocate for doing nothing with the bottom-6? Because that's essentially what saying "they shouldn't have traded Hornqvist" is advocating.

In the last 3 playoff runs, Hornqvist was on the ice for 3 goals for in 150 minutes away from Crosby (overall -6 at 5v5). That's 3 goals in 18 games in total. The powerplay was working at 14.3% in the last 2 years in the playoffs. Hornqvist couldn't stay healthy whatsoever and his effectiveness at ES had clearly started to show signs of declining. Yet that was somehow okay and they should have kept him?
Horny didn't get worse even strength. He wasn't being used as much on the powerplay (the effectiveness of the powerplay with his usage was shit) and the coach refused to use him in the top 6 anymore. At that point as a GM you have no choice but to move him because now you've got a 5m/yr bloke that is a powerplay net front presence that isn't getting much success there because your coaching staff is dumb as f***, and you're seeing him used on the third line with a bloke the coaching staff can't figure out if he's a center or a winger.
I don't think we have any picks to trade

Our next draft pick is fifth round in 2027

Basically
JR traded the 2027 1st for the signing rights to Porter's kid at the behest of Sullivan.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
355/5=71 vs 52

The missing 10-15 extra games a year means he contributed less to the season, even if he had more production

You can't have expensive players missing games. He's been declining in games played

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->