Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - The disco ball's spinnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Right, as I see it, JR will probably have to overpay a bit because Pageau would be in high demand. I think "you pay the price."

Teams are going to be offering good deals for Pageau's services.

As far as wingers go there are more targets. This you can wait on, probably until closer to the TDL. The let's let thing settle in and see.
I don't think it's in our best interest to get in such a conundrum then. I'd rather deal with Bowman or Billy G anyhow. Even though I like JGP I've mentioned my reservations in dealing with them. There are three teams if possible I'd ideally like to steer clear of. The Sens are one of them, although they do have a few pieces that could help us.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Once again. McCann played center for three of those points. Malkin got hurt. McCann was immediately moved to C and started producing.

The narrative that McCann did more at wing than center here is one I will never understand. It’s simply factually incorrect. Most of his production came because of EN and PK situations when he came in hot.

Also, people are going to use the 2C argument? Well, I don’t really see how his linemates will change much more.

You are correct. I forgot Geno left so early.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think it's in our best interest to get in such a conundrum then. I'd rather deal with Bowman or Billy G anyhow. Even though I like JGP I've mentioned my reservations in dealing with them. There are three teams if possible I'd ideally like to steer clear of. The Sens are one of them, although they do have a few pieces that could help us.

I’m curious what of value we actually lost in the Brassard trade outside our 1st.

Trade was essentially a bunch of trash, Gus who we knew had no room in our system, and a 1st for a heavily retained forward.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Once again. McCann played center for three of those points. Malkin got hurt. McCann was immediately moved to C and started producing.

The narrative that McCann did more at wing than center here is one I will never understand. It’s simply factually incorrect. Most of his production came because of EN and PK situations when he came in hot.

Also, people are going to use the 2C argument? Well, I don’t really see how his linemates will change much more.
Can we at least admit that it's murky at best as to which position he'd be better at over the long haul? I don't think we can conclusively say either is better. I myself prefer him at wing, but I don't think one or the other should be etched in stone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Can we at least admit that it's murky at best as to which position he'd be better at over the long haul? I don't think we can conclusively say either is better. I myself prefer him at wing, but I don't think one or the other should be etched in stone.

No. I think it is pretty clear judging by this year and the year prior to the trade he is more comfortable at C and we should keep him there because he is finally reaching his potential as a 1st overall draft pick.

People are simply creating narratives that don’t exist because him, Jake and Sid looked good for a couple weeks.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m curious what of value we actually lost in the Brassard trade outside our 1st.

Trade was essentially a bunch of trash, Gus who we knew had no room in our system, and a 1st for a heavily retained forward.
We lost Cole, and thus my heart was broken. I was inconsolable for a month. I broke up with my GF and sent the dog to the pound.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No. I think it is pretty clear judging by this year and the year prior to the trade he is more comfortable at C and we should keep him there because he is finally reaching his potential.
And he couldn't do even better playing with Sid? I don't know. lol

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Either way, if we discount those three points, that means 6 points in 6 games.... largely on BJUGSTAD's wing.
Not only is that a point per game average... which is obviously higher than the 50 point pace you cite from him as a center, it is also a PPG average... with Bjugstad as his C.
Not unlikely to be improved upon if playing instead with, say, Sidney Crosby.

More than that however, it is a ridiculously small sample size that says absolutely nothing definitive about where he is better. Just like a few successful cameo's covering in Geno's absence says nothing about his credentials as a 2C.

Its a weird point to be adamant on, I think. Further, it is trivial where he plays compared to the importance of getting Sid and Geno's linemates right.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't see a justification for moving McCann back to wing at this point. The performance he has had at center this year is better than almost any player you could realistically acquire. People bring up Pageau as someone who the Penguins should target, McCann is essentially the same player as Pageau. Combining Pageau's last 2 years gives an accurate representation of what he is, because this year has been as uncharacteristically good as last year was uncharacteristically bad for him.

In terms of how this team should be built, McCann should be the 3C and Bjugstad shouldn't be on the team. If Bjugstad is playing, he should be on RW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Either way, if we discount those three points, that means 6 points in 6 games.... largely on BJUGSTAD's wing.
Not only is that a point per game average... which is obviously higher than the 50 point pace you cite from him as a center, it is also a PPG average... with Bjugstad as his C.
Not unlikely to be improved upon if playing instead with, say, Sidney Crosby.

More than that however, it is a ridiculously small sample size that says absolutely nothing definitive about where he is better. Just like a few successful cameo's covering in Geno's absence says nothing about his credentials as a 2C.

Its a weird point to be adamant on, I think. Further, it is trivial where he plays compared to the importance of getting Sid and Geno's linemates right.

No. If we remove 3 points that means he had 4 points in 7 games and I don’t believe he actually played wing in those games.

The 4 points came in 2 of 7 when he was with Malkin and Rust. Once again. I don’t see the point of slotting a player that is producing at a 50 pt rate at C and developing in the player he was drafted to be in a role Galchenyuk, Kahun, Simon or Hornqvist can likely all produce at an equal rate in our top six at.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I really don't see a justification for moving McCann back to wing at this point. The performance he has had at center this year is better than almost any player you could realistically acquire. People bring up Pageau as someone who the Penguins should target, McCann is essentially the same player as Pageau. Combining Pageau's last 2 years gives an accurate representation of what he is, because this year has been as uncharacteristically good as last year was uncharacteristically bad for him.

In terms of how this team should be built, McCann should be the 3C and Bjugstad shouldn't be on the team. If Bjugstad is playing, he should be on RW.
I respectfully disagree in as much as the answer isn't clear cut. I'd have no problem whatsoever with McCann and Kahun getting a chance with Sid. In fact it's my preference. But I can see the argument for McCann to stay at center. I think eventually McCann does get another look at wing with Sid. We'll see.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I respectfully disagree in as much as the answer isn't clear cut. I'd have no problem whatsoever with McCann and Kahun getting a chance with Sid. In fact it's my preference. But I can see the argument for McCann to stay at center. I think eventually McCann does get another look at wing with Sid. We'll see.

Kahun - Crosby - Bjugstad
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
Simon - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

We look to improve the top LW or RW and that slots Kahun onto the 3rd line.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kahun - Crosby - Bjugstad
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
Simon - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

We look to improve the top LW or RW and that slots Kahun onto the 3rd line.
Switch Kahun to 1L RW, move McCann up to LW with Sid and Bjug as third line pivot and you got a deal.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We all agree with the Geno trio and Blueger brigade, so that's always nice.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No. If we remove 3 points that means he had 4 points in 7 games and I don’t believe he actually played wing in those games.

OK... I am playing along. You are down to saying he barely even played wing at all... and when he did... he produced at a 47 point pace. Clearly it is all cut and dry then, yes? Sample size and massive point projection differential says it it all?

Now, if you and Empoleon could just try to tell me just how you see McCann keeping up his results in this kind of not too unrealistic scenario:

X Sid X
Chucky Malkin Rust
X McCann X
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Where are the ES minutes for him at C here? Should we give McCann's wingers priority or should we look more to Sid? Where do you slot in Bjugstad here? Should he be a winger for McCann or is it more likely that they go back to exactly what they did at the start of the season?

Again - if/when Bjugstad is traded, then this is a different matter, because one assumes that it will be to get a winger, and then McCann is the obvious choice among the players we have to play C.
In that situation though, do you think there is any way he will pace for 50 points? There are only so many tickets... I think it would likely be closer to.... I don't know... the 33 points Bjugstad was on pace for last season?

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
OK... I am playing along. You are down to saying he barely even played wing at all... and when he did... he produced at a 47 point pace. Clearly it is all cut and dry then, yes? Sample size and massive point projection differential says it it all?

Now, if you and Empoleon could just try to tell me just how you see McCann keeping up his results in this kind of not too unrealistic scenario:

X Sid X
Chucky Malkin Rust
X McCann X
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Where are the ES minutes for him at C here? Should we give McCann's wingers priority or should we look more to Sid? Where do you slot in Bjugstad here? Should he be a winger for McCann or is it more likely that they go back to exactly what they did at the start of the season?

Again - if/when Bjugstad is traded, then this is a different matter, because one assumes that it will be to get a winger, and then McCann is the obvious choice among the players we have to play C.
In that situation though, do you think there is any way he will pace for 50 points? There are only so many tickets... I think it would likely be closer to.... I don't know... the 33 points Bjugstad was on pace for last season?

No, but our team has been on a great run with him at C and has been notably bad with Bjugstad at C this year. I don’t see any reason why we would change what is working.

Ideally McCann is playing with Kahun and Hornqvist IMO.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I’m going to be optimistic and say that the players that are currently healthy will be able to step up their games and weather the storm until those who are injured, return.
Hopefully JR doesn’t have to risk futures for someone to fill the void of Jake and maybe just pick up someone complimentary.

Reactions: EightyOne

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know about this Crosby/McCann stuff. I like McCann, but he's a pretty basic player. My gut feeling is if this were tried, Simon would be back there in like 2 periods, probably meritoriously.

Reactions: Turin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad