Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - The disco ball's spinnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think there's a strong chance Murray rebounds sometime this year. And this team has played too well to not put them in a position to succeed come spring.

As our back to back showed. Having two strong goalies is pretty god damn important. It covered up for the loss of our #1 D-man one year. Likely could cover up for the loss of our 3rd best forward this year.

Reactions: Riptide

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
1. I would not sell low on Murray as he is bound to bounce back.
2. I would not trade Petts (LHD) for Kapanen (RW). LHD is probably are second biggest weakness other than L1 winger that we just lost. Palmieri or Kreider would be the only players I would trade Petts for and that makes no sense for the Devils or Rangers unless he is signed. Furthermore, going from, I promise you a big contract for signing cheap for one year to I'm trading you to the Rangers\Devils would be s**ting on the guy and I doubt JR does this.

Reactions: Peat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would absolutely 100% NOT trade Pets or Murray. It's not even a question, IMO. Young guys going through a bit of trouble? Shock. Young guys do that. Murray has shown to be elite. Pets has shown to be a potential top 4 dman. It's worth letting it play out. If they "lose" value, so be it. I don't care. I want to see them stay in the 412.

Now... our first? I'd punt that if people valued it insanely high to bring a high end winger in. Out of any year - a rental winger may be worth it. Williams even may be worth it. The obvious wingers being mentioned would be worth it. And I'd stay away from anyone who does not fit our mold. Aka Kovy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Please don't needlessly acquire a 3C when McCann is doing a phenomenal job at 3C k thnx

I've grown to like McCann more at center than at winger at this point.

No, he's not. He's playing 2C with better quality minutes.

@BlindWillyMcHurt Why chase a 3C?

Edit: you said 3 line model again. Ah, that's what they should do in any circumstance.

Because though Jake is out for the season his salary allows them to make more than one move.

Pageau, Kreider and Gustafsson?

All UFA's. Even if just 2 out of the three makes this team better.

Plenty of assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryder71

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would absolutely 100% NOT trade Pets or Murray. It's not even a question, IMO. Young guys going through a bit of trouble? Shock. Young guys do that. Murray has shown to be elite. Pets has shown to be a potential top 4 dman. It's worth letting it play out. If they "lose" value, so be it. I don't care. I want to see them stay in the 412.

Now... our first? I'd punt that if people valued it insanely high to bring a high end winger in. Out of any year - a rental winger may be worth it. Williams even may be worth it. The obvious wingers being mentioned would be worth it. And I'd stay away from anyone who does not fit our mold. Aka Kovy.

Yeah I'd say our defense is good enough as is. Goaltending, crazy good depth with arguably the best starter in the league right now.

Adding forward depth is never that difficult. And if our 1st has to go to shore up the top 6 so be it.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I'd say our defense is good enough as is. Goaltending, crazy good depth with arguably the best starter in the league right now.

Adding forward depth is never that difficult. And if our 1st has to go to shore up the top 6 so be it.

Money shouldn't be an issue anymore, right? LTIR should cover everything we need. At best - Bjugs or Gally can get out. So like you said - our defense is good. Even more-so, I think keep Schultz and let him walk for free at UFA if he doesn't pick it up. Marino has legit made Schultz, who I honestly didn't think we had an immediate replacement for, lose-able. And that is perfectly fine. So keep the full defense because that's a lot of depth for injuries that come and go. We do have legit 8 dmen.

In the offseason - move Bjugs. Let Schultz walk or offer him a fair deal. See where you are at with JJ. If Marino is doing really well, Schultz can be replaced with with an offensive minded dman that plays more 5/6 role.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That is what I’d do. Seems like they proven that one is a C and one is a W in their time here.
I'm not so sure. Bjug is better at faceoffs and can cut the middle of the ice off at times. McCann isn't a liability to be sure, but he may get far greater chances in using his shot if he's up with a guy like Sid. I can see it shake out both ways.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’d give up Petts for Kapanen once Dumo returned, and I wouldn’t think twice...
Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Riikola-Schultz

we’d be fine...
Can't do it. I'd love to get KK but not for MP. I'd have to pass, I'm very sorry Andy.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not so sure. Bjug is better at faceoffs and can cut the middle of the ice off at times. McCann isn't a liability to be sure, but he may get far greater chances in using his shot if he's up with a guy like Sid. I can see it shake out both ways.

Overall, Bjug is better at faceoffs, this year he isn't, and neither are where I'd trust them with the heavy D-zone faceoffs. I don't even trust Blueger with the heavy load there.

They are all bad to okay there this year. This is one of the team's weaknesses. They lose a good bit of critical faceoffs. PK and D-zone in general.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
For the right players/contracts, I am all in to trade whichever futures.

But only after we have had a few weeks of seeing how Sid comes back. We need him to be very good/great Sid to have a genuine chance when it matters, and if we don't there is no real point in spending lots of assets.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Money shouldn't be an issue anymore, right? LTIR should cover everything we need. At best - Bjugs or Gally can get out. So like you said - our defense is good. Even more-so, I think keep Schultz and let him walk for free at UFA if he doesn't pick it up. Marino has legit made Schultz, who I honestly didn't think we had an immediate replacement for, lose-able. And that is perfectly fine. So keep the full defense because that's a lot of depth for injuries that come and go. We do have legit 8 dmen.

In the offseason - move Bjugs. Let Schultz walk or offer him a fair deal. See where you are at with JJ. If Marino is doing really well, Schultz can be replaced with with an offensive minded dman that plays more 5/6 role.

Yep. We now can go after most any forward and not have to send cap out, which is a pretty big advantage over other teams. Straight up offer a 1st for Saad. He's signed through next season and like you said, you can rid yourself of cap in the summer with Marino taking Schultz's spot in the top 4 and letting Schultz walk.

Really proud of this team this year, and I think they've earned sacrificing some of the future to maximize the roster for a playoff run this year and next.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Overall, Bjug is better at faceoffs, this year he isn't, and neither are where I'd trust them with the heavy D-zone faceoffs. I don't even trust Blueger with the heavy load there.

They are all bad to okay there this year. This is one of the team's weaknesses. They lose a good bit of critical faceoffs. PK and D-zone in general.
Which is why a guy like Pageau might be welcome. My only concerns are the price AND how he'll mesh here.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I believe the only team of the major contenders that has even more cap to work with would be the AV's. And Sakic is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Which is why a guy like Pageau might be welcome. My only concerns are the price AND how he'll mesh here.

Right, as I see it, JR will probably have to overpay a bit because Pageau would be in high demand. I think "you pay the price."

Teams are going to be offering good deals for Pageau's services.

As far as wingers go there are more targets. This you can wait on, probably until closer to the TDL. The let's let thing settle in and see.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He really isn’t. When he has actually played center his numbers are slightly better than what McCann is doing right now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

What seems obvious is that relatively speaking, we get more value from Bjugs being at C and McCann at wing than the reverse.

So that will be what happens until potentially there is a trade making sense for Bjugstad, who is too good/valuable to be considered a cap-dump.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What seems obvious is that relatively speaking, we get more value from Bjugs being at C and McCann at wing than the reverse.

So that will be what happens until potentially there is a trade making sense for Bjugstad, who is too good/valuable to be considered a cap-dump.

Based on what is that obvious?

McCann is better at center than at the wing. Bjugstad is vanilla in both positions. If you want to go back to their Florida days, Bjugstad was way better on the wing than at center for the Panthers.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

McCann is better at center than at the wing. Bjugstad is vanilla in both positions. If you want to go back to their Florida days, Bjugstad was way better on the wing than at center for the Panthers.

Because McCann will be still getting top 6 minutes where he contributes more than Bjugstad does or will be used.

Edit: to your edit: This isn't Florida.

Reactions: EightyOne

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

McCann is actually good at both, Bjugstad on the other hand is horrible at centre and alright at wing.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Bjugstad with us is trusted at C and last year finished off well the Simon and Horny combo that could be likely again.
At Florida his brightest spell at wing came with a torrid period with Barkov and Huberdeau. Seems unlikely that he will be given any such chance with us and Sullivan requires more speed out of our wingers. McCann on the other hand has shown capable of playing with Sid, and I'd assume more so if on the left which is now possible without Guentz.
As for the various camps saying McCann is better at C or W... I don't really want to participate. I personally think he does a good job both places. Agree or not, I don't think there is anything conclusive there.

What is also really obvious irrespective of our opinions is that Sullivan plays Bjugstad at C and trust Blueger's line a lot. So, Bjugs will be a C here until potentially traded.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

The versatility of Bjugs being a RHS is the only thing that helps them for the left dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese