Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - The disco ball's spinnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No interest in chasing 3 scoring lines again. We have the depth to create two competent 3rd lines.

Find a winger to play with Sid. Hope AG turns it around and/or Williams signs here. And then really hope Jake can come back in a deep playoff run.

Yeah. This is how I'd hope they would proceed as well. McCann, Bjugstad, Lafferty and Bleuger should be enough center depth to get us through.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The one area we have a decided advantage over most serious contenders is cap space. That's a definite positive when you're dealing with lowly cash strapped teams.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah. This is how I'd hope they would proceed as well. McCann, Bjugstad, Lafferty and Bleuger should be enough center depth to get us through.

Really hoping JR is on the phone with Williams. We have openings with either center, on the top PP and a great chance to win a Cup.

That'd alleviate the need for a desperation move.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't see Pageau as a need as I said above. But, I'm just talking about realistic value for a proven 2/3 C.
Pageau would help free up McCann to go up and play with Sid. Pageau is also much better on faceoffs so it would in theory help shore up and fortify us at multiple positions. My concern would be the cost and if he'd aptly assimilate. After the Brassard debacle that'd make me hesitate a bit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pageau would help free up McCann to go up and play with Sid. Pageau is also much better on faceoffs so it would in theory help shore up and fortify us at multiple positions. My concern would be the cost and if he'd aptly assimilate. After the Brassard debacle that'd make me hesitate a bit.

Difference being Pageau plays the style we want in a 3C.

Anyways, McCann and Bleuger is essentially a new age Bonino and Cullen. Just run it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pageau is a nice player but honestly that's the kind of move I wouldn't be super stoked about. Why chase a three line concept when your scoring lines are completely up in the air after Jake's injury? There were even question marks before that, FFS. I get that it potentially frees up McCann and that's terrific but I'm not super sure he's a great answer up top, either. Maybe owing to Malkin/Rust's chemistry he'd be a decent complimentary piece to that line but that still leaves Crosby more or less high and dry.

Williams is about as long in the tooth as a player can get but I agree that on paper at least that's a deal that makes more sense. Because it's at least taking a stab at directly addressing the issue.

Reactions: Riptide

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Difference being Pageau plays the style we want in a 3C.

Anyways, McCann and Bleuger is essentially a new age Bonino and Cullen. Just run it.
So then we're looking at Saad and Zucker I guess. I'm just a little apprehensive at leaving McCann in the middle. He's bad on faceoffs and moving forward that come crunch time would be a concern.

Reactions: Trade

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pageau is a nice player but honestly that's the kind of move I wouldn't be super stoked about. Why chase a three line concept when your scoring lines are completely up in the air after Jake's injury? There were even question marks before that, FFS. I get that it potentially frees up McCann and that's terrific but I'm not super sure he's a great answer up top, either. Maybe owing to Malkin/Rust's chemistry he'd be a decent complimentary piece to that line but that still leaves Crosby more or less high and dry.

Williams is about as long in the tooth as a player can get but I agree that on paper at least that's a deal that makes more sense. Because it's at least taking a stab at directly addressing the issue.

I'd wager big Williams fills the far greater need than Pageau. And only costs money.

Unfortunate that Williams has never been about money. Otherwise we could just outbid all contenders with the cap space we now have.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
I imagine it would be a 1st, Bjugstad and one of our prospects.

I'm not really into it, but I can get the idea behind doing it.

You would then have to go bargain shopping for a LW maybe you can get Leivo on the cheap.
It allows you to permanently place McCann as a winger as you posted which is a huge benefit with Guentel out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It allows you to permanently place McCann as a winger as you posted which is a huge benefit with Guentel out.

I guess. I’d much rather get an actual top six LW than hope a short sample size was a predictor for McCann in the top six.

I also think it is stupid to move a player to a different position when they are producing at a career high where they are. He is on pace for 50 pts largely at C. Why do we need to improve that?

He’s producing at a .5PPG clip since Sid went down.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like McCann's versatility. But his best use is at center for this team IMO.

He has the shot to play wing for the big guns. But I'd prefer upgrading at that position with Jake out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I like McCann's versatility. But his best use is at center for this team IMO.

He has the shot to play wing for the big guns. But I'd prefer upgrading at that position with Jake out.

McCann is not a top 6 player yet...unfortunately...he just doesn’t have or hasn’t developed good offensive instincts or IQ ...he’s got a good shot, but he doesn’t get open enough to use it and hasn’t shown an ability to play make consistently... I’d rather he play center or wing in the bottom six...this is one reason I keep pushing Kahun for the top 6...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Where you at @Richard ?
He had names to give us from his boys.
Time to start typin', boy!

Kovy, as i said earlier, i believe JR/Sully have discussed it extensively already and said no thanks. Don't see that changing cuz he's not a fit on the 5on5 front.
Zucker, Krieder, Saad...
These are the styles that mesh and JR's already coveted all 3 before.

JGP would make some sense in terms of JR liking what he'd bring with whats already here but i don't trust TIOPS all that much.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Someone on the trade forum offered Johnsson and Liljergern for Petts. @Peat. I'd do that, but it sounds unrealistic.

It would force us to run Dumo, JJ, Riikola this year though which is a little worrisome.

I mean, with Dumo out, I just can't bring myself to do it, even with a super nice deal like that. But if it was Dumo/JJ/Riikola... I'd consider it. I'd consider it hard.

Also, anyone who thinks we're getting in on Kapanen without giving up someone like Pettersson is probably quite, quite wrong.

Re JGP - maybe I'm a maniac, but if we get him, I'm sticking him on Sid's RW and will cry every game as he scores his way out of ever being resignable.

But as for the more realistic view of sticking him at 3C to soften any blow of moving McCann there... I'd like, it I'm just not willing to pay the likely price with him making a case for himself being a 2C. I'm happier trying to make my way through with the many options and running the hot hand at 3C, and relying on a strong wing corps to make it all work.

Reactions: Riptide and ownal

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Please don't needlessly acquire a 3C when McCann is doing a phenomenal job at 3C k thnx

I've grown to like McCann more at center than at winger at this point.
especially since I think he's a more proven 3C than top 6 wing, and 3C's aren't really any cheaper to acquire than top 6 wings.

Am I crazy for hoping we give Bjugstad a try at wing for a while so McCann can stay at 3C?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, with Dumo out, I just can't bring myself to do it, even with a super nice deal like that. But if it was Dumo/JJ/Riikola... I'd consider it. I'd consider it hard.

Also, anyone who thinks we're getting in on Kapanen without giving up someone like Pettersson is probably quite, quite wrong.

Re JGP - maybe I'm a maniac, but if we get him, I'm sticking him on Sid's RW and will cry every game as he scores his way out of ever being resignable.

But as for the more realistic view of sticking him at 3C to soften any blow of moving McCann there... I'd like, it I'm just not willing to pay the likely price with him making a case for himself being a 2C. I'm happier trying to make my way through with the many options and running the hot hand at 3C, and relying on a strong wing corps to make it all work.

I’d give up Petts for Kapanen once Dumo returned, and I wouldn’t think twice...
Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Riikola-Schultz

we’d be fine...

Reactions: Trade and ownal

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
also, since the Sharks are coming to town and they blow this year as does their goaltending...what about Murray for Tomas Hertl, whose restrictive no trade clause kicks in next year so this would be the year to move him if the Sharks want to rebuild, actually they need to?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad