Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For sure. But even if they didn't want to give Rakell up, Silfverberg would be a nice consolation prize. He's been a reliably productive two-way winger and playoff performer for quite a while.

I'd be pretty happy with either, honestly.

If Silfverberg didn't cost over 5m, I might agree with you. But he does and that's a no go for me at any serious price.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If a players age starts with a 3, I wouldn't want them here.

What are we supposed to do with Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin at this point? It's not like anyone would even take them at their cap hit.....

Seriously though, I'd consider Jeff Carter with money retained. Thornton is 40 so he doesn't count in this discussion I suppose.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
So, what happens to Schultz if Marino keeps playing like he is?

I want to say that at this rate, we could sign him to term with a low cap hit....but I know that some GM is going to happily pay him 5M (+?) again, and therefore as we've all suspected for a year....he's gone. This is completely independent of Marino's emergence.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
why would you want the Pens, a cup conteder, to move a solid, not great #4 Dman?
Because he's not a 2nd pairing blueliner with Letang and Marino on this team, and he's not solid--he's very underwhelming for his price/role and has been for multiple seasons. He'll walk for nothing this summer, and we have an opportunity to get something significant for a guy who A. has no place on this blueline, or at least no place that makes sense, and B. will absolutely get offers beyond our ability to match on July 1st. This team has holes, and a expendable asset like Schultz could go a long way toward fixing those problems.

Pretty simple stuff, I think.

Holding on to Schultz as a "what if he becomes good again for the first time in years" situation as he's firing pucks high and wide off the glass, leading to easy clears for the opposition and playing poor defensive hockey seems like awful GMing to me.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
with his injuries and poor play, we are not getting a good return on Schultz at the TDL...unless we can trade Bjug or Gally for a better RD to replace Schultz, which is very unlikely, there’s no point in trading him this year...play him 3rd pair minutes where he should be for how he’s playing and let him walk after the season...unless he agrees to a short cheap contract to play on the third pair, which is also doubtful

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
with his injuries and poor play, we are not getting a good return on Schultz at the TDL...unless we can trade Bjug or Gally for a better RD to replace Schultz, which is very unlikely, there’s no point in trading him this year...play him 3rd pair minutes where he should be for how he’s playing and let him walk after the season...unless he agrees to a short cheap contract to play on the third pair, which is also doubtful
GMs overpay like mad for blueliners, in particular PMD, at the deadline. Especially guys with Cups to their name. Schultz would absolutely net a good return, regardless of whether or not he's worth it. I have zero doubts about that.

I would not be surprised for one moment if we snagged a 1st for him, albeit late. Maybe a 2nd+good prospect. There will be a team desperate for blueline help to push them over the top, there always is. It's just up to JR to rip the band-aid off and get a decent return for a guy who doesn't fit and will walk for nothing in 6 months. That part, I'm not so sure about.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
GMs overpay like mad for blueliners, in particular PMD, at the deadline. Especially guys with Cups to their name. Schultz would absolutely net a good return, regardless of whether or not he's worth it. I have zero doubts about that.

I would not be surprised for one moment if we snagged a 1st for him, albeit late. Maybe a 2nd+good prospect. There will be a team desperate for blueline help to push them over the top, there always is. It's just up to JR to rip the band-aid off and get a decent return for a guy who doesn't fit and will walk for nothing in 6 months. That part, I'm not so sure about.

Not really sure how losing Schultz and getting a 1st or prospect makes us a better threat in an absolutely stacked Metro.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Move Schultz and our biggest hole for this year's cup run becomes 3RD, which is a pretty significant role here.

Moving him would be part of getting a different 3RHD. Not necessarily in the same trade

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Moving him would be part of getting a different 3RHD. Not necessarily in the same trade

Which is generally difficult to pull off, unlikely to result in as good a team for this year, and possibly causes problems the next.

Never say never but it's a pretty unrealistic scenario.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really sure how losing Schultz and getting a 1st or prospect makes us a better threat in an absolutely stacked Metro.

It's because people on here care more about asset management than having a good team. Let's not kid anyone.

I do think moving Schultz would be smart, but it would be "smart" to move him for a different bottom pair RD that fits better with Johnson. I don't think Johnson and Schultz complement each other that well, Schultz is an OFD that you want to give super easy offensive minutes and JJ is a DFD that you want to eat moderately difficult defensive minutes and heavy DZone starts. In a perfect world, you have a 2-way puck moving RD that can be used in a defensive role and also can provide a little bit of offense. Basically another Marino.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Which is generally difficult to pull off, unlikely to result in as good a team for this year, and possibly causes problems the next.

Never say never but it's a pretty unrealistic scenario.

Schultz for a forward/pick then pick up a bottom pair D man doesn’t seem too unrealistic (not with our GM).

If the right trades aren’t there you keep him but I’d be definitely be putting the feelers out

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Id be interested in Williams if he doesnt return to Carolina. Give him bonuses based on how far the team goes in the playoffs.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
If going by history it tells me JR will dangle Schultz before the trade deadline. He very often trade players in their last year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Schultz for a forward/pick then pick up a bottom pair D man doesn’t seem too unrealistic (not with our GM).

If the right trades aren’t there you keep him but I’d be definitely be putting the feelers out

The only sort of forwards we need would probably cost more than Schultz straight up. I'm not counting Rutherford out on anything, but this still doesn't feel realistic enough to be worth discussing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad