Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Schultz for a forward/pick then pick up a bottom pair D man doesn’t seem too unrealistic (not with our GM).

If the right trades aren’t there you keep him but I’d be definitely be putting the feelers out
If only there were a team that had surplus RD who are better than Schultz and who needed forward help, which we have in abundance. Oh, wait, there is. I assume HoF GMJR has Botterill's #.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Almost 100% they'll treat Schultz as their own rental.
BUT they may go rental on the left side in a
Hainsey or Greene imo.

I'd really love a:
Martinez
Scandella
or
Gustafsson tho.

Would set the D up so well for a PO run.

The Haisney or Greene rental ideas aren't too shabby either, in my mind.
In all scenarios your 3LD is JJ or MP and thats right where i'd want to be goin' into a PO run.

ETA:
Thinking on it more, I like the thought of going hard for a winger right at this moment then potentially getting a cheap rental vet D like the above come DL time for that final touch.
But if you can land a Scandella for Chucky or mayybe Miller, i'd probably pull that trigger right now.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Because he's not a 2nd pairing blueliner with Letang and Marino on this team, and he's not solid--he's very underwhelming for his price/role and has been for multiple seasons. He'll walk for nothing this summer, and we have an opportunity to get something significant for a guy who A. has no place on this blueline, or at least no place that makes sense, and B. will absolutely get offers beyond our ability to match on July 1st. This team has holes, and a expendable asset like Schultz could go a long way toward fixing those problems.

Pretty simple stuff, I think.

Holding on to Schultz as a "what if he becomes good again for the first time in years" situation as he's firing pucks high and wide off the glass, leading to easy clears for the opposition and playing poor defensive hockey seems like awful GMing to me.

Schultz isn't expandable. not with this rostet and injuries.

Don't get wanting to trade a solid #4 guy.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

He's not a solid #4 guy. He's a bottom pairing guy who is ineffective offensively and a liability defensively, particularly with our weakness at LD beyond Dumo. Stop classifying the guy as if he's an integral part of our team. He hasn't been that Schultz for years.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
why do people think Schultz is gonna get a big conttact. hes hes not getting more than 4 per.

hes in the 2.7-3.7 range. hes been hurt too much to get a long and expensive contract.

i bet Schultz gets a one or two year deal at 3 mil.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019

The disagreement appears to be over whether Schultz is "a solid #4 guy." At this point, he clearly appears to be the #3RD, which kind of makes him a #5 or #6 guy. And he hasn't been all that "solid" in any event. He's hurt half the time. He isn't producing offensively when he's healthy. And he's a turnover machine. I'm with you, though, to the extent that I agree that the Pens should not move Schultz unless they get a better #3RD, because there's nothing that I see below Schultz on the right side that I would want to see taking a regular shift during the playoffs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's not a solid #4 guy. He's a bottom pairing guy who is ineffective offensively and a liability defensively, particularly with our weakness at LD beyond Dumo. Stop classifying the guy as if he's an integral part of our team. He hasn't been that Schultz for years.

Schultz is a solid but unspectacular #4 guy. thats not even a question.

if you wanna say very good #5. fine.

but Schultz can play #3/#4 mins and play well.

its staying healthy, that's his problem.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure a reduced role and bottom pairing minutes does Schultz's game any favors either. If we're putting Letang's pairing and Marino's pairing out with Sid's line and Geno's line, who exactly does Schultz's style benefit? I mean, he hasn't been all that effective at the one thing he used to be, offense, for a long while.

why do people think Schultz is gonna get a big conttact. hes hes not getting more than 4 per.

hes in the 2.7-3.7 range. hes been hurt too much to get a long and expensive contract.

i bet Schultz gets a one or two year deal at 3 mil.
What is it about NHL GMs that makes you think they'll err on the side of caution, and not throw a truckload of money at a blueliner with Cup experience? :laugh:

Someone will pay to "get their guy", they always do. JR just signed Tanev to a six year contract because he felt like he had to in order to secure a guy he wanted badly.

Reactions: Freeptop

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Schultz is a solid but unspectacular #4 guy. thats not even a question.

if you wanna say very good #5. fine.

but Schultz can play #3/#4 mins and play well.

its staying healthy, that's his problem.
He’s not gonna be here next year so we really have to take on face value what he’s doing right now and he hasn’t been that good

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not sure a reduced role and bottom pairing minutes does Schultz's game any favors either. If we're putting Letang's pairing and Marino's pairing out with Sid's line and Geno's line, who exactly does Schultz's style benefit? I mean, he hasn't been all that effective at the one thing he used to be, offense, for a long while.

What is it about NHL GMs that makes you think they'll err on the side of caution, and not throw a truckload of money at a blueliner with Cup experience? :laugh:

Schultz will definitely be paid more than he's worth in the off-season... probably bought out or paid to go to Seattle later.

I would love for JR to realize Schultz is a non factor for us and fleece a desperate team. Swap for a top 9 forward that fits us or futures. We can pick up a rental RD for the third pair for a fair price.

Sure, using him as our rental would be swell if he didn't suck every night.

I want to add some have said Petts-Schultz has had good analytics this year. Call me old fashioned but both have been sub par just watching them play. Petts has been up and down and will round into form...but Schultz? He looks disinterested and like a dumpster fire playing D all while his offense is gone.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s not gonna be here next year so we really have to take on face value what he’s doing right now and he hasn’t been that good

He's not been bad either. He's been fine. Underrated defensively. We'd like a bit more from him, but he does have more to offer, so not a huge issue at the moment.

I can see a case for maybe reorging the defence and finding a more defensive player than Schultz to try and give Letang and Marino easier matchups for feasting, but we'd need a very good player for that to feel comfortable.

People are seeing a bigger problem than exists with his play and easier solutions than exists with replacing him in season.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Someone back next game?

I don’t think so. No one has practiced with the team yet and I don’t think any of them are close to their expected dates of return. He might be kept up after passing through waivers or they could be calling someone else up instead.

I imagine a D will be called up if Schultz is out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Noesen is getting waived so they don't have to worry about him being locked onto the NHL roster over the roster freeze. The roster freeze starts tomorrow night at midnight, so you have to waive Noesen today to be able to send him down over the freeze.

I should also add that if the Penguins sign Kovalchuk, they need to clear a roster spot for him. They can sign players during the roster freeze, but they need to have an open roster spot to be able to sign him. Sending down Noesen, which is allowed during the roster freeze, does that. And in all honesty, I'm having a hunch that the Penguins are going to sign Kovalchuk.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad