Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think Noesen is getting waived so they don't have to worry about him being locked onto the NHL roster over the roster freeze. The roster freeze starts tomorrow night at midnight, so you have to waive Noesen today to be able to send him down over the freeze.

I should also add that if the Penguins sign Kovalchuk, they need to clear a roster spot for him. They can sign players during the roster freeze, but they need to have an open roster spot to be able to sign him. Sending down Noesen, which is allowed during the roster freeze, does that. And in all honesty, I'm having a hunch that the Penguins are going to sign Kovalchuk.

They have a roster spot open right now with Noesen up. If Schultz is an unknown, I suppose they could call up a D up in place of Noesen and then sign Kovalchuk. They’d have 7/8D depending on Schultz and 13F.

I think you’re right about the roster freeze and it’s more about housekeeping for that than anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They have a roster spot open right now with Noesen up. If Schultz is an unknown, I suppose they could call up a D up in place of Noesen and then sign Kovalchuk. They’d have 7/8D depending on Schultz and 13F.

Are all of Crosby, Bjugstad, Hornqvist and Dumoulin on LTIR right now? NHL.com is acting wonky for me so I don't know if all 4 of them are on IR. If one of them isn't on IR, they don't have an available roster spot.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Noesen is getting waived so they don't have to worry about him being locked onto the NHL roster over the roster freeze. The roster freeze starts tomorrow night at midnight, so you have to waive Noesen today to be able to send him down over the freeze.

I should also add that if the Penguins sign Kovalchuk, they need to clear a roster spot for him. They can sign players during the roster freeze, but they need to have an open roster spot to be able to sign him. Sending down Noesen, which is allowed during the roster freeze, does that. And in all honesty, I'm having a hunch that the Penguins are going to sign Kovalchuk.

I really hope you’re wrong...but at least his being sent down probably means Rust is ok after taking a puck off the foot against Calgary...

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Is there actually any smoke with the Pens and Kovalchuk (aside from a fake twitter account)?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is there actually any smoke with the Pens and Kovalchuk (aside from a fake twitter account)?
Thrre was a tweet from a legitimate source that says where one of the teams in on him whether how legitimate that is remains to be seen

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Lord, I hope not. Replace one uncoachable malcontent in Kessel, get the team playing as a cohesive unit, only to add another uncoachable malcontent (that has outright quit on multiple teams) in Kovalchuk.

Yuck.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
With Schultz injured, the Pens likely want to call up a defenseman. They prefer Blandisi at this point, so they put Noesen on waivers in order to send him down and call up a defenseman.
If they did that, they'd have 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, plus Riikola to play either forward or defense :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
BMac right now

giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just like we had no interest in trading Kessel.

Did McKenzie ever say that? McKenzie's word is basically law when it comes to the Penguins and I feel like I would have remembered that had he said that.

From what I recall, McKenzie was pretty much on the money when it came to Kessel all along. It may have been someone like Yohe who said the Penguins were fine with not trading Kessel.

Reactions: Trade

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Did McKenzie ever say that? McKenzie's word is basically law when it comes to the Penguins and I feel like I would have remembered that had he said that.

From what I recall, McKenzie was pretty much on the money when it came to Kessel all along. It may have been someone like Yohe who said the Penguins were fine with not trading Kessel.
Yeah McKenzie doesn’t talk in absolutes unless it’s true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad