Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see the point in trading something mediocre for something else mediocre just in a slightly different way. If it's gotta be Buffalo just go with futures FFS. At least Gooch is being held out of the top six... we'd not have the same luxury with friggin' Sheary.

I think you'd have difficulty with moving Galchenyuk for futures, plus I think Sheary's past success with Crosby is worth mentioning. Is he an ideal option? No, but your top line RW when healthy is Simon if you don't acquire someone else.

Sheary isn't anything special, but he fits the system, skates extremely well and has meshed with Crosby in the past. If nothing else, it's swapping a guy who's not good here for a guy who was good here a couple of years ago.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Regardless of Sheary or not I do think JR will go after a top 6 winger, probably LW.

Might be a year we give up some premium Assets. Hopefully there's an off the wall trade out there that works that isn't being leaked.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I think you'd have difficulty with moving Galchenyuk for futures, plus I think Sheary's past success with Crosby is worth mentioning. Is he an ideal option? No, but your top line RW when healthy is Simon if you don't acquire someone else.

Sheary isn't anything special, but he fits the system, skates extremely well and has meshed with Crosby in the past. If nothing else, it's swapping a guy who's not good here for a guy who was good here a couple of years ago.
Agreed on all this.

If Galchenyuk's value is as low as has been reported, I'd be glad to swap him for Sheary. I think posters here might need to temper their expectations.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Sheary is also good with a stronger player on the other wing so if he plays in the lower lines he can still fit with who we have eg Horny, Tanev, ZAR etc

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
How can you watch Simon on the top line and think "if only he could finish?" Stick Sheary there and he will be a 60 point player. The biggest issue I see is Bjugstad with his 4.1 million dollar cap hit. We need to turn that into an UFA that can score.

Reactions: billybudd
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Wasn't Sheary recently a healthy scratch? I thought I read that although I don't know if it was injury related of not.

If he was healthied in favor of some of Buffalo's "depth" players, then yikes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wasn't Sheary recently a healthy scratch? I thought I read that although I don't know if it was injury related of not.

He was and he will be again tonight.

Sabres follower stopping in - just wanted to point out that Buffalo is also in a cap crunch so a possible Sheary-Chucky deal has to come close to cap even for them to make it. From a surplus perspective, they have defensemen (Scandella, Bogosian) who are closer in salary and likely available. Again, it's a case of what player with what warts for another.

There has been some speculation on the Sabre board that Galchenyuk may have been part of the Bergevin offer or Botterill ask when Montreal was trying to acquire O'Reilly. So.... the interest may have been there from well prior to his time in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, just thought I would drop in my 2 pesos and scoot. Cheers!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

We healthy scratched Sheary in the past after he was established. Hot and cold is just part of his game that a team has to manage. Price you pay for having a (relatively) cheap player who can both finish and create his own offense. If he was consistent, he'd be way out of our price range, both in terms of trade price and cap hit.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Schultz, Chucky & Simon for Miller, Scandella & Sheary.

Miller will fill the 3D pairing nicely. If Scandella clicks with Marino sign him next year. Sheary slots up to the 1st line and will actually finish. Trade Schultz for a top 6 winger for Geno. Let's see how Bjugstad plays after he comes back from IR. Trade him by deadline if he isn't clicking.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like Sheary, but man the optics of going from Kessel to Galchenyuk to Sheary...

If he is still what he was here and Sully will play him with Crosby and keep Jake with Malkin, sign me up. That said, I don't think Sheary adds much to this roster if he's playing with Malkin or even a 3rd line.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
People hated Sheary on Crosby's wing here by the end nearly as much as they hate Simon in the same spot. And I could understand why. I just don't get the appeal but whatever. The team will get what they deserve if that's their top six solution.

Reactions: Andy99

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I like Sheary, but man the optics of going from Kessel to Galchenyuk to Sheary...

If he is still what he was here and Sully will play him with Crosby and keep Jake with Malkin, sign me up. That said, I don't think Sheary adds much to this roster if he's playing with Malkin or even a 3rd line.

Do you think Schultz can bring back anything close to a top 6 winger?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
We healthy scratched Sheary in the past after he was established. Hot and cold is just part of his game that a team has to manage. Price you pay for having a (relatively) cheap player who can both finish and create his own offense. If he was consistent, he'd be way out of our price range, both in terms of trade price and cap hit.

That may be true, he definitely had his spurts, but he's really only put together one good season. He's on pace for a 3rd straight 30ish point season, and with a 3M hit. If he were on his ELC sure, at 3M pass.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's a little weird how willing people seem to be to add another guy with issues and no real place in the lineup. I'd rather have like a 3rd for Galchenyuk than Sheary, to be honest. Sheary's not the answer to the RW opening with Sid-Jake and he's not the answer to the LW opening with Geno-Rust, imo. I guess he could play on the third line if/when we move Bjugs and McCann shifts over to C for the time being (still prefer McCann as a winger), but it just seems a bit weird to target Sheary of all guys.

Reactions: Peat

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's a little weird how willing people seem to be to add another guy with issues and no real place in the lineup. I'd rather have like a 3rd for Galchenyuk than Sheary, to be honest. Sheary's not the answer to the RW opening with Sid-Jake and he's not the answer to the LW opening with Geno-Rust, imo. I guess he could play on the third line if/when we move Bjugs and McCann shifts over to C for the time being (still prefer McCann as a winger), but it just seems a bit weird to target Sheary of all guys.

He's the opening to not play Jake with Sid in theory. In reality, probably not realistic.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We’d be a better team with Sheary over Chucky right now. It doesn’t mean it’s the final move but if it’s on the table then sure. At least you are getting a guy that knows and has been successful here. A fast forechecker is a fit here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I can't say I agree with the idea to keep Jake with Geno because of a 15 game stretch versus putting him back with Sid and their multi-year history of wild success. I get not wanting to break up a great line, but let's not overthink this.

Either way, we need a bona fide scoring winger. Either a LW for Geno-Rust, or either wing for Sid, if you (erroneously) want to keep Jake-Rust with Geno when Sid gets back. Sheary's not that guy, imo. Nevermind my questions about his production being good enough, I think his complete lack of a defensive game seriously hurts whichever line he's on too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just as an addendum call in the local sports talk radio on Buffalo is running the Friedman clip In there top and bottom of the hour sports recap. Also, I would doubt that the Sabres would be interested in any more defenseman. Part of the reason why Miller is out of the lineup is they have eight healthy defenseman and they’ve been playing seven of them on a given night. Tonight Bogosian is the man in the press box.

Reactions: billybudd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't see why a McCann-Crosby-Sheary line would be an issue at all :dunno:

He was and he will be again tonight.

Sabres follower stopping in - just wanted to point out that Buffalo is also in a cap crunch so a possible Sheary-Chucky deal has to come close to cap even for them to make it. From a surplus perspective, they have defensemen (Scandella, Bogosian) who are closer in salary and likely available. Again, it's a case of what player with what warts for another.

There has been some speculation on the Sabre board that Galchenyuk may have been part of the Bergevin offer or Botterill ask when Montreal was trying to acquire O'Reilly. So.... the interest may have been there from well prior to his time in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, just thought I would drop in my 2 pesos and scoot. Cheers!

Thanks for the information, but I'd throw out that I think there's borderline no chance that the Penguins would want one of Scandella or Bogosian. They already moved out their expensive depth D in Gudbranson, I can't see them wanting to reacquire another one.

I think Galchenyuk for Sheary is being talked about in here because it fits the mold of JR's past reclamation project style trades and JR loves reacquiring players. Outside of that, I honestly don't see anything that would work between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
We’d be a better team with Sheary over Chucky right now. It doesn’t mean it’s the final move but if it’s on the table then sure. At least you are getting a guy that knows and has been successful here. A fast forechecker is a fit here.
Gotta believe it's gonna be a bigger deal. This deal solves neither team's problem -- we have excess forwards, and they have excess D.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I can't say I agree with the idea to keep Jake with Geno because of a 15 game stretch versus putting him back with Sid and their multi-year history of wild success. I get not wanting to break up a great line, but let's not overthink this.

Either way, we need a bona fide scoring winger. Either a LW for Geno-Rust, or either wing for Sid, if you (erroneously) want to keep Jake-Rust with Geno when Sid gets back. Sheary's not that guy, imo. Nevermind my questions about his production being good enough, I think his complete lack of a defensive game seriously hurts whichever line he's on too.

Ehlers would be amazing. Drouin would also be nice.

I’m dreaming.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Schultz, Chucky & Simon for Miller, Scandella & Sheary.

Miller will fill the 3D pairing nicely. If Scandella clicks with Marino sign him next year. Sheary slots up to the 1st line and will actually finish. Trade Schultz for a top 6 winger for Geno. Let's see how Bjugstad plays after he comes back from IR. Trade him by deadline if he isn't clicking.

Really like this if the salaries add up, and doesn't seem totally unrealistic.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, sure, given the option between the two I'd probably take Sheary. But it just seems... weird. We're swapping two third liners while we still need a legit scoring line winger, we need to replace Schultz with a LD for Marino on the 2nd pairing, and we should be looking for a better fit than Bjugs as the 3C.

I'd much, much rather just dump AG for a pick and bank all the cap versus swapping him for another flawed third line winger while only saving a couple million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad