Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wake up, check the Salary Cap thread, yup still talking about ZAR.

Imagine how one would feel about doing that thousands of times with Jack Johnson and Phil Kessel and Nick Bonino...

Yohe's jumping on the Saad train let's go. There's not really much new here, outside of Yohe pointing out that Saad skates with a lot of the Penguins over the summer, they know him really well already and they absolutely love his speed, character and ability to produce. Yohe also points out Kreider as a guy they've asked the Rangers about to play with Crosby.

Saad just makes a ton of sense right now. Kreider, in theory, would be very idealistic with Sid but we've seen those theories shattered before. Wonder if Saad would extend here at $6mil as a home town discount?

Saad-Sid-XXX
Jake-Malkin-Rust

would be a great top 6 to have longer term as Sid and Geno ride into the sunset.

Wonder what the Rangers are thinking about Kreider. I doubt they want to give him to the Pens have his torch them for a couple years, so I wonder if the conversation involves intent to resign. NYR aren't going anywhere this year so 2-3 months with only a couple games of facing an old friend? Bearable if you get the price tag. It's not like they're trading the Kredier from 2014 who just resigned a good deal and will be there long term.

Other things worth knowing from Yohe's mailbag

- Yohe will talk about someone's starsign as if its actually relates to their character and he should be mocked until the end of days
- Once upon a time, some Flyers fans asked Sid for a selfie, he said yes, one of them yelled homophobic abuse at Sid as they took the photo, so Ian Cole chased them out of the bar and had to be restrained from beating the crap out of them
- Rutherford isn't urgent about making a trade but he's on the prowl and wants at least one top-six player
- Thinks Murray will get some starts if/when Jarry stumbles, but right now Jarry is the better goalie
- Pens love Addison and he reckons he'll be given a chance to make the team next season, but he projects 2021-22
- Believes Sully has adopted a more positive approach and the Pens are buying into it; also system changes (less pinches)
- Once missed a camping trip with a really pretty girl because it clashed with the MLB All-Star game
- No, he seriously said that thing about starsigns. I hope he was joking.

Starsigns? Lolz. Too easy to bust chops but to each their own. Some people don't believe in vaccines. Some people believe math is racist. Why are starsigns any better or worse?

JR "needs" that winger but he's got time. My worry is that prices tend to get more expensive the closer teams get to the TDL. Would rather get the 1 or 2 guys now ala Daley and Hags.

Jarry will stumble. Every goalie does. Murray will get starts. The test will be if Murray excels when he does get that start that Jarry would have gotten. Jarry is helping us win 2-1 games right now. With Murray, we have to win 5-4. It's night and day how the team is forced to play depending on who is in net, not unlike what it was when it was Murray and MAF.

Addison will be a solid addition when he gets here. Him, POJ, and obviously Marino are great assets to have on the back end now.

I don't think enough credit is given to Sullivan or perhaps Martin about our renewed dedication to defensive play. This is a MUCH more responsible team than last year. It's so nice to watch. Seriously. The run and gun offense was fun for a number of years. But as I evolve and appreciate the game more and see what it takes to win, I yearn for that dzone accountability.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think the ideal moves right now are Saad and Smith.

Saad for 1st+Bjugs
Smith for Chucky+4th/5th

Kahun-Sid-Smith
Saad-Geno-Rust
Simon-Mccann-Hornqvist
BART

If Guentzel comes back. Saad or Kahun drops to the third line and Simon becomes the 13F.

Reactions: ownal

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think the ideal moves right now are Saad and Smith.

Saad for 1st+Bjugs
Smith for Chucky+4th/5th

Kahun-Sid-Smith
Saad-Geno-Rust
Simon-Mccann-Hornqvist
BART

If Guentzel comes back. Saad or Kahun drops to the third line and Simon becomes the 13F.

Both of those deals seem optimistic to me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m pretty confident that Chicago for Saad wouldn’t take back a forward like Bjug who has another year at a high contract...we’d have to part with futures or young player who’s cheap, RFA...or D man

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, there can be some nicer players out there to go after, but I really put emphasis on having a ton of playoff experience high on the list too.

Saad/ Kreider
Pageau

That is my list. Get 2 of the 3, I don't think you can get much better than that for this run.

Kreider...

Kreider, Crosby, Simon/Hornqvist
McCann/Kahun, Malkin, Rust
McCann/Kahun, Pageau, Tanev
ZAR, Blueger, Simon/Hornqvist

Saad...

McCann/Kahun, Crosby, Simon/Hornqvist
Saad, Malkin, Rust
McCann/Kahun, Pageau, Tanev
ZAR, Blueger, Simon/Hornqvist

The constant is Pageau at 3C.

That 3rd line is going to drive teams nuts.

The 4th is gonna see less 5 on 5 and that's just wasting Tanev there.
I wouldn't be surprised irregardless of who we might bring in, that Tanev eventually garners a more prominent role. And I'm not sure we have the assets, (or more accurately willing to part with the assets) it would require to get two such players. One certainly, and then likely a lesser borderline top nine guy.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I’m pretty confident that Chicago for Saad wouldn’t take back a forward like Bjug who has another year at a high contract...we’d have to part with futures or young player who’s cheap, RFA...or D man

yes but chicago aslo traded jokiharu and kahun for nylander and maata this summer sooooo Ya neva know.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They could flip Bjug for a pick. So say we give them our 2020 first and Bjugstad, they could then trade him and get say a 3rd. So essentially they'd get a 1st and 3rd for Saad.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Instead of going higher end in JGP on top of a Saad, i'd go for the cheaper grit, great at FO's guy like a Glendening. He'd help immensely in a playoff run taking big draws(pk ones especially) where you could send out:

Blueger-Glendening-Tanev

and on the pk:

Glendening-Tanev
Blueger-Rust or McCann

ETA: Fully healthy:

Saad-Sid-Kahun
Jake-G-Rust
Simon-McCann-Horny
Blueger-Glendening-Tanev
ZAR

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't be surprised irregardless of who we might bring in, that Tanev eventually garners a more prominent role. And I'm not sure we have the assets, (or more accurately willing to part with the assets) it would require to get two such players. One certainly, and then likely a lesser borderline top nine guy.

Bjugstad, 3rd 2020/2nd 2021 for Pageau
1st 2020, Hallander for Krieder
Galchenyuk, 1st 2020, POJ and future considerations(= one of the goalies who's cast off after the season, deal concluded at the draft) for Saad.

At the draft the Pens trade Murray/Jarry to the Hawks for their 1st 2020 (currently 8th OA) Considerations closed.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Which would be why I said 1st + Bjugs would "be part of it." I don't think he would come that cheap, but I'm wondering what else it would take. I would think a forward and then maybe even another pick. Something like 1st, Bjugs, Simon and 3rd for Rakell?

so basically just a 1st for rakell.

bjugs , Simon and a 3rd have basically no value.

30 goal scorers on a good contract for 2 more seasons after this one, is worth alot

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I love having discussions on the main boards about player trade value, you can list a million past examples of trades to support your idea for trade value any someone else can just say "nah his analytics suck, so he has negative value". Great place for discussion :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bjugstad, 3rd 2020/2nd 2021 for Pageau
1st 2020, Hallander for Krieder
Galchenyuk, 1st 2020, POJ and future considerations(= one of the goalies who's cast off after the season, deal concluded at the draft) for Saad.

At the draft the Pens trade Murray/Jarry to the Hawks for their 1st 2020 (currently 8th OA) Considerations closed.
You're being kinda liberal there with our assets, damn! lol

I don't see us giving up both a 1st AND Hallander. I'd be floored if in fact we went that route. I'm also presuming it's either Kreider or Saad because you have our 2020 1st going in two different deals (as you suggested previously).

I don't believe any of Poulin, Legare, Addison or Hallander will be moved. Unless some GM goes crazy (including ours).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
yes but chicago aslo traded jokiharu and kahun for nylander and maata this summer sooooo Ya neva know.

true, but there’s no real benefit in that deal for them...I mean Maatta was signed for a few years at a reasonable price and they were desperate for D...the only benefit of Bjug for them is that his salary is less but he’s a worse player...not like he’s signed for more years than Saad, or young cost-controlled...just don’t see the interest there...I’m not saying they wouldn’t trade Saad to us, I just don’t think Bjug would be part of the return...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They could flip Bjug for a pick. So say we give them our 2020 first and Bjugstad, they could then trade him and get say a 3rd. So essentially they'd get a 1st and 3rd for Saad.

maybe...I guess I don’t see Bjug returning much of value...lol, but that could be my abhorrence to his game...

Reactions: Ryder71

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Toffoli @ 50% for a 2nd+ZAR
Saad for 1st+Bjugstad
JGP for Schultz+2021 2nd+Simon
Granlund for Galchenyuk
Kreider for 2021 1st

Kredier-Crosby-Toffoli
Saad-Malkin-Rust
Granlund-Pageau-Hornqvist
McCann-Bleuger-Tanev

Am I doing this right?

Reactions: ownal

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're being kinda liberal there with our assets, damn! lol

I don't see us giving up both a 1st AND Hallander. I'd be floored if in fact we went that route. I'm also presuming it's either Kreider or Saad because you have our 2020 1st going in two different deals (as you suggested previously).

I don't believe any of Poulin, Legare, Addison or Hallander will be moved. Unless some GM goes crazy (including ours).

Yeah, it's either or with Saad/Kreider, and I'm sure I'm light on getting Pageau.

All hockey deals except Kreider. Maybe they can swing Gally and a 1st 2020 and one of the lesser prospects maybe the NYR's have their eye on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Saad for 1st+Bjugstad
Granlund for Galchenyuk
Kreider for 2021 1st

Kredier-Crosby-Toffoli
Saad-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bleuger-Tanev

Am I doing this right?
Holy cow!!:laugh:

JR's gonna need a long nap after all that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, it's either or with Saad/Kreider, and I'm sure I'm light on getting Pageau.

All hockey deals except Kreider. Maybe they can swing Gally and a 1st 2020 and one of the lesser prospects maybe the NYR's have their eye on.
Our best trade currency is likely the 20201st. We can also take on most players full salary. I think especially our upcoming 1st is gonna be our go to asset. From there we might add a depth player or mid tier prospect, or a guy like Bjug or Galy a team could then flip for an additional asset. This is how I see things play out.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
true, but there’s no real benefit in that deal for them...I mean Maatta was signed for a few years at a reasonable price and they were desperate for D...the only benefit of Bjug for them is that his salary is less but he’s a worse player...not like he’s signed for more years than Saad, or young cost-controlled...just don’t see the interest there...I’m not saying they wouldn’t trade Saad to us, I just don’t think Bjug would be part of the return...

i think Chicago is in denial about who and what they are. I think getting a solid 3c is sometjing they would be interested in. Hes not enough for Saad but i can see them being in a deal for one another.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Saad for 1st+Bjugstad
Granlund for Galchenyuk
Kreider for 2021 1st

Kredier-Crosby-Toffoli
Saad-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bleuger-Tanev

Am I doing this right?

LOL, this is just a message board.

I'm sure we'll all be shocked by what actually takes place. We can throw all we want at the wall, there's no consequences.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They need to shed salary for all these upcoming contracts. Gally being UFA actually could work in the Pens and the Hawks favor. They get a replacement for this year and let him walk, or turn around closer to the deadline to recoup more assets like Brassard did.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I don't think Bjugstad is any worse of a forward than what Maatta was a defenseman. Actually, I think they are a decent apple to orange comparison.

Bjugstad is a Sheahan like acquisition. Some playoff team out there may want an upgrade at 3C or to simply bolster their bottom 6. They won't break the bank for the premium assets but Bjug could be that off the radar acquisition for a team and I bet the price tag will be very tolerable, especially if they eat all of the salary.

In my opinion, you send out Bjug/Chucky for a pick and then use that pick+ to get your Toffoli like addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad