Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As far as Zucker for Bjug, I’d love that and to make up the additional value Zucker has I propose adding defensive player of the year and Selke candidate, ZAR...that’s tremendous value given his Selke candidacy and will be a terrible loss for the Pens but, alas, we’ll endure...Bjug and ZAR for Zucker...let’s do it JR...
There is no f***ing way Bjugstad for Zucker was a thing or is a thing now or should ever be a thing with any sane GM. I call BS on that.

Like I just flat out don't buy that. Are we adding Jarry, a 1st, and Poulin? Because that would make sense with someone wanting Bjugstad. The guy is a 3rd liner at best and we're somehow going to believe he's a main piece for a top 6 winger like Zucker?

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh I remember in the off season the team was talking about or there were rumors about how Murray was being seen as the "core leadership" group with Sid and Letang or whatever and even that seemed odd given how cocky Murray sounds at times and that whole Canucks whining was like huh? But in any case, I also remember it being a priority but then it got quiet all of a sudden and that didn't occur to me then but it seems odd now.

Think it was Yohe's "10 most important people in Pens org" that said Murray was being groomed as the post-Sid face of the franchise. Definitely some noise about him being important.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't buy the 8x8 MM talk garbage. Didn't these same people say he's ego driven and wont fix his issues and could care less about them? Besides, even if he did want that arbitration wont give it to him assuming he is able to go through that? I dunno But in the off season he could fetch a nice young winger return along with something else added. Perhaps Nashville? Let Saros go, add in an RFA Murray with 1 year left on Rinne.

I don't know, Murray's interviews and how he comes off, I sort of buy that part, but the rest I don't think I do 100%.

Think it was Yohe's "10 most important people in Pens org" that said Murray was being groomed as the post-Sid face of the franchise. Definitely some noise about him being important.

*scratches your beard* yeah I do remember that in the summer. I didn't really like that it was being pushed, but yeah I definitely remember that and thanks for reminding me where I heard it.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is no ****ing way Bjugstad for Zucker was a thing or is a thing now or should ever be a thing with any sane GM. I call BS on that.

Like I just flat out don't buy that. Are we adding Jarry, a 1st, and Poulin? Because that would make sense with someone wanting Bjugstad. The guy is a 3rd liner at best and we're somehow going to believe he's a main piece for a top 6 winger like Zucker?

well, to be fair, I can see why Minn would want to move him with his salary for the next three years and with them wanting to play younger players...I do believe there is value in them getting back someone who is only signed for one more year, but it would also have to include a first or top prospect etc...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Guerin would be dumb as hell to do Jugs for Zucks unless we are offering a 1st and prospect of some type in the offseason. Imagine Wild retaining 50% for a 2021 2nd, Jugs, prospect and Pens trade a 1st and prospect for 4M Saad. :naughty:

Saad-Crosby-Zucker
Jake-Malkin-Rust

Next season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
well, to be fair, I can see why Minn would want to move him with his salary for the next three years and with them wanting to play younger players...I do believe there is value in them getting back someone who is only signed for one more year, but it would also have to include a first or top prospect etc...
Yeah the top prospect and 1st is what I am getting at, there's no f***ing way Guerin wants to saddle his team with a marginal 3rd line player for a top 6 talent. I mean their cap situation? They can talk to Staal and get him to waive, they can dump Koivu now and get savings out of that as a rental to someone, they have so many options, but Zucker being someone they want to move to push some youth thing is also odd, they are likely going to retool and not rebuild and Zucker is one of those guys you usually keep in that regard.

Next year they have about 9m in cap space, but the year after they are at 36m, so I mean in that same scenario they save what 1m and some change between Bjugstad and Zucker but lose literally any sort of actual help by giving away a useful player for a useless one??

Also, they're the same age.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Minnesota would want to move Zucker to make a roster spot for Kaprizov more than anything. They still have the problem of having way too many LHS and LWers and too few RHS and centers, so that deal does make sense from a need perspective. I think people pretty strongly overvalue Zucker, he was essentially last year for (IIRC) Frolik and a 2nd. The only reason he didn't get moved is because Calgary didn't fax in the paperwork by the deadline.

Bjugstad and a 1st probably gets Zucker. The issue with acquiring Zucker, though, is that he almost definitely has Pittsburgh on his NTC. That doesn't mean he wouldn't waive his NTC to come to Pittsburgh, but he almost definitely has them on his NTC after failing to acquire him last year.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So our lineup with Toffoli and Zucker in it, looks like...

Zucker- Sid-Toffoli
Kahun-G-Rust
Simon-McCann-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like if the Wild were going to start dumping salary just to get more from their cap next year and push some youth narrative guys that haven't worked out like Brodin would have been moved by now, he's better than Olli Maatta and Olli was dumped, even Pateryn and his cap hit moved to a team looking for depth defensemen, etc. I just don't buy it at all that Bjugstad is so highly valued by Bill Guerin that he'd make that move.

I think the Wild ownership would fire his ass if he even brought that up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Murray and Schultz have both reported thefts to the local police this season.

Jarry and Marino are the Wet Bandits.

Dude that's bullshit.

They rebranded to The Sticky Bandits.
raw

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like if the Wild were going to start dumping salary just to get more from their cap next year and push some youth narrative guys that haven't worked out like Brodin would have been moved by now, he's better than Olli Maatta and Olli was dumped, even Pateryn and his cap hit moved to a team looking for depth defensemen, etc. I just don't buy it at all that Bjugstad is so highly valued by Bill Guerin that he'd make that move.

I think the Wild ownership would fire his ass if he even brought that up.

I think you're strongly overvaluing Zucker tbh

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Bjugstad and MM for Zucker as an offseason move? Dubnyk would have 1 year left and can ship him to some team at 50% and have MM as their starter. Or would we get more then Zucker for those 2?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Mark Madden: Having 2 starting goalies not a bad situation for Penguins | TribLIVE.com

Madden saying that Murray reportedly wants 8x8. That seems ridiculous.

Meh, whatever. I don't blame him for asking that, but we all know he's not going to get it. If he's signing a long term deal he's going to get in the 7m range... little more, little less depending on what his final numbers look like this season. But I don't think it'll fluctuate too much unless his numbers are either out of this world good, or out of this world bad. If they're anywhere around 'average', based on his past accomplishments and his age, he'll almost certainly be around the 7m mark.

What I honestly don't get is why everyone is getting so worked up about his ask? We KNOW he's almost certainly not getting that. SO why get worked up about it?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think you're strongly overvaluing Zucker tbh
I actually don't want Zucker at all on the Penguins, I am not for that deal to begin with. So my valuing of Zucker is not as high you think, I just value Bjugstad that lowly, the guy is so f***ing vanilla at everything. I don't believe any GM actively wants Bjugstad.

My 1.5yr old niece has more aggression to her hide and seek game than Bjugstad has in his game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Meh, whatever. I don't blame him for asking that, but we all know he's not going to get it. If he's signing a long term deal he's going to get in the 7m range... little more, little less depending on what his final numbers look like this season. But I don't think it'll fluctuate too much unless his numbers are either out of this world good, or out of this world bad. If they're anywhere around 'average', based on his past accomplishments and his age, he'll almost certainly be around the 7m mark.
If Murray wants the 7-8 range, I really look at how good Jarry looks in the playoffs this year and make sure the coaching staff plays Jarry in that situation and then move Murray in the off season. Because there is no f***ing way this team should allocate that much cap to a goalie that is injury prone and prone to cold starts with 7-8m in cap space per season.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
From another poster...because you all love TIOPS so much...

“According to TIOPS new article today:

---Penguins tried to trade Galchenyuk to BUF, but Buffalo decided to go in a different direction. Assuming this was the rumored Gally for Vesey swap, and instead Buffalo went out and got Frolik.

---Says Pittsburgh is looking at a Galchenyuk for Toffoli swap, with Pittsburgh including some sweeteners (picks, prospects I assume). Says LA believes they can get a 2nd and 5th for him right now.

---Says don't be surprised if a trade around Zucker for Bjugstad occurs, with more pieces involved. Says Guerin was heavily involved in the Penguins push to get Bjugstad (apparently also says there was a Kessel for Bjugstad swap discussed back in 2018), and wants him on the wild. Issue is getting the right value, with Bjugstad only having 1 year left while Zucker has 3 years left. Guerin has to make sure he gets the right level of value back”
There's no question that Bjugstad would have to be added to considerably to get Zucker. Bjugstad, a 2020 1st and mid tier prospect for Zucker and a 4th. Maybe something along those lines.

Reactions: Beauner

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well TIOPS lost all credibility, whatever they had left, with the last 2 points there. The first one, eh, I can see that.

Toffoli is such a poor fit, did no one pay attention to how Pearson looked? Toffoli is no different with his skating and his game for the most part.

The difference is he's more skilled. It's one thing to have a solid 2 way guy who doesn't have a ton of speed or high end skill. That's what Pearson was. Toffoli (who I'm not really advocating for) at least has that high end skill and a very good shot. Sure his skating might not be what we'd want... but it's not terrible, a lot like Pearson - not super fast, but gets around good enough that if the fit is there, it's not an issue. But he can play with skilled players and has a very very good shot.

He wouldn't be my first target, but he would potentially help address some of the PP issues.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bjugstad and MM for Zucker as an offseason move? Dubnyk would have 1 year left and can ship him to some team at 50% and have MM as their starter. Or would we get more then Zucker for those 2?
If Zucker is a possibility, no way in hell we wait til the offseason.

Bjugstad, 1st, maybe something else along with Minny adding a mid-round pick to even it out. I'm not sold on trading our first but if it's for him, I'm on board 100%

Edit: He's still #1 on my wish list. By far.

Reactions: Ryder71

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Bjugs and Murray still tied in points on the season.

At this rate Pekka Rinne might score more goals than him.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually don't want Zucker at all on the Penguins, I am not for that deal to begin with. So my valuing of Zucker is not as high you think, I just value Bjugstad that lowly, the guy is so ****ing vanilla at everything. I don't believe any GM actively wants Bjugstad.

My 1.5yr old niece has more aggression to her hide and seek game than Bjugstad has in his game.

GMJR actively wanted Bjugstad last year, and I don't see how 10 games played for Bjugstad since last year has changed his mind.

I think fans overestimate the average knowledge level of any specific player for a NHL GM. JR's opinion on players he could acquire is based mostly on what his scouts tell him. JR didn't know John Marino was legit, his scouts told him he was legit. I think Bjugstad is a relatively safe player with size and a hard shot, and I imagine most scouts would relay that opinion. It only takes 1 scout to have a higher opinion on Bjugstad than that for a team to be very interested in him.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad