Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
ZAR for Saad. Every bird with one stone.

Saad... Saad...
tumblr_mi0yf6rJh21r1wntmo1_500.gif

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Tatar recently was brought up as someone MTL might move...they’ve fallen out of the race...he would be another really good option..better than Toffoli for sure...wonder what we could get him for...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Starsigns? Lolz. Too easy to bust chops but to each their own. Some people don't believe in vaccines. Some people believe math is racist. Why are starsigns any better or worse?

Look, I'm all for believing six impossible things before breakfast, but at least believe in something that's not so gauche. It's the sauceless cheeseless burger of impossible things; like cargo shorts without pockets.

At least it beats the other two I guess.

I’m pretty confident that Chicago for Saad wouldn’t take back a forward like Bjug who has another year at a high contract...we’d have to part with futures or young player who’s cheap, RFA...or D man

As pointed out, C-town are mad. Someone like Bjugstad gives them an NHL player with upside for having a swing at it next year who can then be rented out if it doesn't work. They'd need a goodly amount more than him to do it but I can see it. Remember, Bjugstad and Saad have actually have really similar production the last couple of years.

Incidentally, I don't like how strongly everything's pointing to us getting Saad. Because that means it's probably anyone but.

Mark Madden: Having 2 starting goalies not a bad situation for Penguins | TribLIVE.com

Madden saying that Murray reportedly wants 8x8. That seems ridiculous.

I mean, he should want that, but at the same time this season is stripping his leverage from him to a crazy degree. So... sure thing Matt.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Mark Madden: Having 2 starting goalies not a bad situation for Penguins | TribLIVE.com

Madden saying that Murray reportedly wants 8x8. That seems ridiculous.

If this was 2016 playoffs Murray...this would be a tense coversation. Current Murray, I think that has to be a no. With Sid, Geno, Letang...we can't afford to have a $8mil goalie regardless if he's earned it or not. Just a tad easier with Jarry and Desmith here. Wish we did still have Gusty but...oh well. Perhaps a goalie in the draft should be a priority in the 3rd/4th round.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There is no f***ing way Murray deserves 8 mil per for shit he was doing multiple years ago. Sorry kid but you're going to be judged on what you're doing now, not way back when.

Does anyone really want to hitch their wagon for 8 years to a guy who has NEVER stayed healthy and has honestly never been a consistent starting level goalie in the regular season?

I can't imagine JR buying that noise even if what Madden says is true.

Not when you have a cheap player in Jarry playing like a Vezina winner.

Pens got a lot of leverage here IMO. Don't overpay a netminder. Please for the love of baby Yoda learn from other franchises mistakes.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's the thing with Krieder- nearly all the contenders would want him on their team, so why hasn't this trade happened yet? I know he's got like an 8 team NT list and I think most are Canadian franchises

NY must want a pretty penny for a guy who is gonna be a FA, so that kind of rules out us acquiring him. The cost is just too high
Well let's use the Mats trade last year as an example, he was a far better offensive player but a few years older than Kreider.

He went for what, a conditional 2nd in 2019 and a conditional 3rd this year. But those conditions...lol.

The second-round pick in the 2019 draft will become a first-round selection if the Stars advance to the Western Conference Final and if Zuccarello plays in at least 50 percent of Dallas' games over the first two rounds of the playoffs. The third-round pick in the 2020 draft will become a first-round selection if the Stars re-sign Zuccarello in the offseason.
Zuccarello traded to Stars by Rangers

Dallas was 1 win away from that deal becoming a 1st and a 3rd for Zucc. I think this year, they might want a guaranteed 1st and probably even more, they took futures that would end up being two 1sts for Mats, that GM is nuts.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Saad-Crosby-Tanev

Would be an elite puck possession line IMO.

If Saad is brought in I want to see that combo given a shot. Tanev has more than earned it especially. He's a more physical Dupuis.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tatar recently was brought up as someone MTL might move...they’ve fallen out of the race...he would be another really good option..better than Toffoli for sure...wonder what we could get him for...
The Habs are a mess. They should sell off big time and secure lots of draft picks in addition to the likely lottery pick. They're gonna have a remote shot at Lafreniere the way things are going.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If this was 2016 playoffs Murray...this would be a tense coversation. Current Murray, I think that has to be a no. With Sid, Geno, Letang...we can't afford to have a $8mil goalie regardless if he's earned it or not. Just a tad easier with Jarry and Desmith here. Wish we did still have Gusty but...oh well. Perhaps a goalie in the draft should be a priority in the 3rd/4th round.

We won back to back cups with a goaltender only 2.25m cheaper when the cap was 8m less (probably 10m less by the time it would actually kick in). Having an 8m goaltender doesn't look like it'd be a major issue to me. Just not a good option considering our likely options

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even think Murray is worth 8x8 even if he would have had a .920 save% while playing a starter's load this year. I can't believe that at this point, and it's only from media stooges like Madden and Benz that keep pushing that number. Maybe that was Murray's ask in the off-season, but there's no way that can be the ask at this point.

Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Instead of going higher end in JGP on top of a Saad, i'd go for the cheaper grit, great at FO's guy like a Glendening. He'd help immensely in a playoff run taking big draws(pk ones especially) where you could send out:

Blueger-Glendening-Tanev

and on the pk:

Glendening-Tanev
Blueger-Rust or McCann

ETA: Fully healthy:

Saad-Sid-Kahun
Jake-G-Rust
Simon-McCann-Horny
Blueger-Glendening-Tanev
ZAR

Blueger isn’t as good on the wing. He’d be scratched. His face offs at 5v5 are fine. It’s just the PK where he loses. McCann and Bjugstad are the only ones above 50% on PK face offs.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't even think Murray is worth 8x8 even if he would have had a .920 save% while playing a starter's load this year. I can't believe that at this point, and it's only from media stooges like Madden and Benz that keep pushing that number. Maybe that was Murray's ask in the off-season, but there's no way that can be the ask at this point.
Honestly, even how last year went, there's no f***ing way JR should even entertain that offer before this season started and we know what we know now about his trend of starting poorly being his thing.
Saad-Crosby-Tanev

Would be an elite puck possession line IMO.

If Saad is brought in I want to see that combo given a shot. Tanev has more than earned it especially. He's a more physical Dupuis.
I just want that line to be Saad-Crosby-Horny.

It's also a statement.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From another poster...because you all love TIOPS so much...

“According to TIOPS new article today:

---Penguins tried to trade Galchenyuk to BUF, but Buffalo decided to go in a different direction. Assuming this was the rumored Gally for Vesey swap, and instead Buffalo went out and got Frolik.

---Says Pittsburgh is looking at a Galchenyuk for Toffoli swap, with Pittsburgh including some sweeteners (picks, prospects I assume). Says LA believes they can get a 2nd and 5th for him right now.

---Says don't be surprised if a trade around Zucker for Bjugstad occurs, with more pieces involved. Says Guerin was heavily involved in the Penguins push to get Bjugstad (apparently also says there was a Kessel for Bjugstad swap discussed back in 2018), and wants him on the wild. Issue is getting the right value, with Bjugstad only having 1 year left while Zucker has 3 years left. Guerin has to make sure he gets the right level of value back”

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, even how last year went, there's no ****ing way JR should even entertain that offer before this season started and we know what we know now about his trend of starting poorly being his thing.

*scratches beard* My memory might be misleading me, but I think there was some talk of Murray being a priority going into the summer, and then after a bit it became "no rush" with no real reason said.

If I'm right, seems likely that Rutherford indeed saw no reason to entertain the offer...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From another poster...because you all love TIOPS so much...

“According to TIOPS new article today:

---Penguins tried to trade Galchenyuk to BUF, but Buffalo decided to go in a different direction. Assuming this was the rumored Gally for Vesey swap, and instead Buffalo went out and got Frolik.

---Says Pittsburgh is looking at a Galchenyuk for Toffoli swap, with Pittsburgh including some sweeteners (picks, prospects I assume). Says LA believes they can get a 2nd and 5th for him right now.

---Says don't be surprised if a trade around Zucker for Bjugstad occurs, with more pieces involved. Says Guerin was heavily involved in the Penguins push to get Bjugstad (apparently also says there was a Kessel for Bjugstad swap discussed back in 2018), and wants him on the wild. Issue is getting the right value, with Bjugstad only having 1 year left while Zucker has 3 years left. Guerin has to make sure he gets the right level of value back”

Well TIOPS lost all credibility, whatever they had left, with the last 2 points there. The first one, eh, I can see that.

Toffoli is such a poor fit, did no one pay attention to how Pearson looked? Toffoli is no different with his skating and his game for the most part.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't buy the 8x8 MM talk garbage. Didn't these same people say he's ego driven and wont fix his issues and could care less about them? Besides, even if he did want that arbitration wont give it to him assuming he is able to go through that? I dunno But in the off season he could fetch a nice young winger return along with something else added. Perhaps Nashville? Let Saros go, add in an RFA Murray with 1 year left on Rinne.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
*scratches beard* My memory might be misleading me, but I think there was some talk of Murray being a priority going into the summer, and then after a bit it became "no rush" with no real reason said.

If I'm right, seems likely that Rutherford indeed saw no reason to entertain the offer...
Oh I remember in the off season the team was talking about or there were rumors about how Murray was being seen as the "core leadership" group with Sid and Letang or whatever and even that seemed odd given how cocky Murray sounds at times and that whole Canucks whining was like huh? But in any case, I also remember it being a priority but then it got quiet all of a sudden and that didn't occur to me then but it seems odd now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem with TIOPS is that they're entirely fake news, but they post rumors that are definitely close enough to reasonable that some people think they're credible. All of those points seem reasonable, but they're coming from a fake news source.

Either way, I think Galchenyuk and a conditional 2021 2nd for Toffoli makes sense, with the conditional pick based on how Toffoli and Galchenyuk perform.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As far as Zucker for Bjug, I’d love that and to make up the additional value Zucker has I propose adding defensive player of the year and Selke candidate, ZAR...that’s tremendous value given his Selke candidacy and will be a terrible loss for the Pens but, alas, we’ll endure...Bjug and ZAR for Zucker...let’s do it JR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad