Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Now the stars so vast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
GMJR actively wanted Bjugstad last year, and I don't see how 10 games played for Bjugstad since last year has changed his mind.

I think fans overestimate the average knowledge level of any specific player for a NHL GM. JR's opinion on players he could acquire is based mostly on what his scouts tell him. JR didn't know John Marino was legit, his scouts told him he was legit. I think Bjugstad is a relatively safe player with size and a hard shot, and I imagine most scouts would relay that opinion. It only takes 1 scout to have a higher opinion on Bjugstad than that for a team to be very interested in him.

Kevin Stevens advocated for Marino and good for Kevin for that one.

Bjugstad just isn't a good fit on the Pens, he's too passive as a 3C and works better as a winger, most of his better production last season was when he was a winger and not when he was mostly a C.

Reactions: Pengwins

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
GMJR actively wanted Bjugstad last year, and I don't see how 10 games played for Bjugstad since last year has changed his mind.

I think fans overestimate the average knowledge level of any specific player for a NHL GM. JR's opinion on players he could acquire is based mostly on what his scouts tell him. JR didn't know John Marino was legit, his scouts told him he was legit. I think Bjugstad is a relatively safe player with size and a hard shot, and I imagine most scouts would relay that opinion. It only takes 1 scout to have a higher opinion on Bjugstad than that for a team to be very interested in him.

JR only looks at the draft selection of the player. His MO is basically trading for first round reclamation projects.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Been following Tatar since his rookie year and he’s a beast.

He’s basically what people want Simon to be, with wheels. He’s a true ankle snapper when he dangles guys.

Problem is his actual value vs what it would take to pry him from Montreal.

Habs fans insist it would be 1st and Poulin and I think that’s fantasy land stuff.

He is worth a first as a starting point, then maybe a B prospect and some throw in.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not interested in acquiring Tatar because of how badly he flopped in Vegas, which was the last time he actually played for a good team. I'm not willing to gamble on Sullivan liking him plus him being able to produce on a good team for the price he'd cost. I'd much rather go for a player with a history of producing while on good teams, not risk getting a guy who only puts up points on bad teams when he's in an inflated role.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not interested in acquiring Tatar because of how badly he flopped in Vegas, which was the last time he actually played for a good team. I'm not willing to gamble on Sullivan liking him plus him being able to produce on a good team for the price he'd cost. I'd much rather go for a player with a history of producing while on good teams, not risk getting a guy who only puts up points on bad teams when he's in an inflated role.

Detroit was good in the first half of his career there and he put up points.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That comment was in the context of what he'd cost to acquire. If you were paying for the 45-55 point player Tatar is normally, I wouldn't be throwing out that risk. The problem is that the prices being thrown out for Tatar that I've seen are more than that.

The risk of him flopping is a problem because you'd likely be buying high on him if you acquired him right now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That comment was in the context of what he'd cost to acquire. If you were paying for the 45-55 point player Tatar is normally, I wouldn't be throwing out that risk. The problem is that the prices being thrown out for Tatar that I've seen are more than that.

The risk of him flopping is a problem because you'd likely be buying high on him if you acquired him right now.

There’s always a risk of flopping for anyone. He was bounced around the line up in his 20 games in Vegas so it can be harder to get a feel for things.

He’d get a more stable shot here with either Sid or Malkin.

Everything always depends on cost we’ll see on that front but I’d be confident that he’d work out well here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Been following Tatar since his rookie year and he’s a beast.

He’s basically what people want Simon to be, with wheels. He’s a true ankle snapper when he dangles guys.

Problem is his actual value vs what it would take to pry him from Montreal.

Habs fans insist it would be 1st and Poulin and I think that’s fantasy land stuff.

He is worth a first as a starting point, then maybe a B prospect and some throw in.

Since it's Montreal, just think real hard about every francophone player/prospect we have that they would have interest in as your starting point.

Legare, Poulin, POJ - Pick one.
Then our 1st.

My stance on this is I don't move Legare and Poulin, but POJ I am not sold on.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Most people talk out of their ass about Tatar, but few actually watch him I’m certain of that.

The one thread on the rumors board with Pens and Habs fans was embarrassing to read all the way around.

Habs fans over valuing him and the rest acting like he’s worth a second.

I would prefer him over Saad, but it’s a coin flip I suppose.

Just suspect people will beat up on Saad during his bad stretches because he’s about as aggressive as Kessel many nights.

Since it's Montreal, just think real hard about every francophone player/prospect we have that they would have interest in as your starting point.

Then our 1st.

I go with Legare because I know you like him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There’s always a risk of flopping for anyone. He was bounced around the line up in his 20 games in Vegas so it can be harder to get a feel for things.

Everything always depends on cost we’ll see on that front but I’d be confident that he’d work out well here.
Tatar seemed like he had the same issues Pearson did, a guy that is made for a conference and wasn't in the right one and struggled.

Tatar has performed well in the East and that style of game, his numbers also back that with his time in Detroit and Montreal vs his stint in Vegas - A team that likes to play fast but plays a heavy fast, a blend of more WC with some EC elements.

Tatar is a 50-60pt player without ever playing with the caliber of guys Sid and Geno are or in a system that actively benefits his game. But he's 5'10" and 29yrs old and he has 1yr left on his deal. I still rather have Saad over him.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yes, there's a risk of any player flopping. You're not paying a 1st and good prospect for any player, though. I'm a hell of a lot more confident that Saad would mesh here, and more importantly Sullivan would like Saad, than I am with Tatar.

With Tatar flopping hard the last time a contender traded a bunch for him and Sullivan's history when it comes to skill players, I'm not very interested in Tatar. Look at how Sullivan still treats Kahun despite Kahun being awesome here, he has still gotten games on the 4th line recently.

If I'm trading a 1st and a prospect of more for a winger, I'm going for someone safer than a pure skill guy having a career year who flopped the last time he played for a contender.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, there's a risk of any player flopping. You're not paying a 1st and good prospect for any player, though. I'm a hell of a lot more confident that Saad would mesh here, and more importantly Sullivan would like Saad, than I am with Tatar.

With Tatar flopping hard the last time a contender traded a bunch for him and Sullivan's history when it comes to skill players, I'm not very interested in Tatar. Look at how Sullivan still treats Kahun despite Kahun being awesome here, he has still gotten games on the 4th line recently.
And the weird thing about Kahun is that he's a decent 2-way player, he's better than Simon (imo) at that but still somehow gets treated that way.

I think Saad fits more of what this coaching staff likes. I prioritize the left wing as the side the team really wants to fix asap while Sid nears his return.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From another poster...because you all love TIOPS so much...

“According to TIOPS new article today:

---Penguins tried to trade Galchenyuk to BUF, but Buffalo decided to go in a different direction. Assuming this was the rumored Gally for Vesey swap, and instead Buffalo went out and got Frolik.

---Says Pittsburgh is looking at a Galchenyuk for Toffoli swap, with Pittsburgh including some sweeteners (picks, prospects I assume). Says LA believes they can get a 2nd and 5th for him right now.

---Says don't be surprised if a trade around Zucker for Bjugstad occurs, with more pieces involved. Says Guerin was heavily involved in the Penguins push to get Bjugstad (apparently also says there was a Kessel for Bjugstad swap discussed back in 2018), and wants him on the wild. Issue is getting the right value, with Bjugstad only having 1 year left while Zucker has 3 years left. Guerin has to make sure he gets the right level of value back”

Gotta think that LA would be asking around about the market on Chucky so they can flip him. Chucky+Hallander/4th for Toffoli, send Chucky out for a 3rd. End of day, 3rd+4th vs 2nd+5th...or maybe 3rd+4th+prospect.

If Zucker is brought in for Bjugstad (as the base assuming it's not like 3 1sts added), I will suck a ****. Not sure who's ****...Guerin or JR's but a ****none-the-less. That would be as incredible of a pull as JR could do.

Well TIOPS lost all credibility, whatever they had left, with the last 2 points there. The first one, eh, I can see that.

Toffoli is such a poor fit, did no one pay attention to how Pearson looked? Toffoli is no different with his skating and his game for the most part.

Pearson and Toffoli are not nearly enough alike to assume that because Pearson was a flop here that Toffoli would be.

Minnesota would want to move Zucker to make a roster spot for Kaprizov more than anything.

They need a good quality, tall center like Bjugstad for Kaprizov *wink* *wink*

Bjugstad and MM for Zucker as an offseason move? Dubnyk would have 1 year left and can ship him to some team at 50% and have MM as their starter. Or would we get more then Zucker for those 2?

If that trade goes down, I'm cutting someone's **** off. Not sure who's ****...Guerin or JR's but a **** none-the-less. That would far to atrocious asset management for that to fly.

What does it look like second round when Jake is back?

Jake-Bleuger-Tanev...reminisce of when he was on the 4th line vs Ottawa in 2017.

I now feel your pain.

You have not even begun to feel that much pain. What you feel is but a pin prick compared to what was tolerated by you and those other clowns. Only recently has this place regained an acceptable amount of normalcy. Probably because you guys can't wet your pants over JJ anymore since he's playing decent. No offense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guerin likes bigger heavier players...if he likes Bjug, maybe Bjug and Bjorkqvist gets the deal done for Zucker?

Reactions: Rust17

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Then our 1st.

id drive legare to the airport to keep POJ here.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Gotta think that LA would be asking around about the market on Chucky so they can flip him. Chucky+Hallander/4th for Toffoli, send Chucky out for a 3rd. End of day, 3rd+4th vs 2nd+5th...or maybe 3rd+4th+prospect.

If Zucker is brought in for Bjugstad (as the base assuming it's not like 3 1sts added), I will suck a ****. Not sure who's ****...Guerin or JR's but a ****none-the-less. That would be as incredible of a pull as JR could do.

\ 00
// O

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd just like to point out that the commonly stated expected price on Toffoli is around a 2nd to 2nd and 5th. Seen quite a few offers that seem bent on outbidding that for no apparent reason.

Also, if that's the price on Toffoli, and NYR are hoping to get the Hayes price on Kreider, I think that's a couple of good points for figuring out the market for wingers. It's not super hot in general, but the most sought after pieces will go for big prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad