Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now less Horny. (GMJR is still a moron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
How is MM at exiting the defensive zone and hows he in his first pass? Cause the guy has a ton of skill and he can fly.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Remember when Chicago fans were convinced they won the Scuderi-Daley trade too?

Fanbases are terrible at evaluating their own players, ours included.

The thing is, our dumb ass little group was right about Scuderi then and we were right about Sutter when Canucks fans bought Benning’s spiel after signing him. Don’t get me wrong, the whole lot of us are idiots but that doesn’t mean fanbases are always wrong. We also knew JJ would be terrible and so did Columbus fans. Teams can also be bad at evaluating players.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Can anyone...make this make sense.

Attachments

• tenor (2).gif
    tenor (2).gif
    339.2 KB · Views: 4

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing is, our dumb ass little group was right about Scuderi then and we were right about Sutter when Canucks fans bought Benning’s spiel after signing him. Don’t get me wrong, the whole lot of us are idiots but that doesn’t mean fanbases are always wrong. We also knew JJ would be terrible and so did Columbus fans. Teams can also be bad at evaluating players.

No, that's true. I'm not saying we're immune to it, nor that we haven't been right. It's just that, for every Scuderi being terrible, we also thought that Brassard would be a killer steal of a trade. It's much more of a gamble than anyone on this site wants to admit. :laugh:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Here’s an idea that just popped into my head...what if JR traded Pettersson and throws JJ in the deal.

Dumo Letang
Matheson Marino
Riikola/POJ UFA signing

I don’t think this is his plan but would people be ok if this happened?

Reactions: RSPens

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No, that's true. I'm not saying we're immune to it, nor that we haven't been right. It's just that, for every Scuderi being terrible, we also thought that Brassard would be a killer steal of a trade. It's much more of a gamble than anyone on this site wants to admit. :laugh:

I had doubts about Brassard. Top 6 player to L3 will always carry risks and they paid a lot. He exceeded my worst expectations but I was hesitant. I think what no one wants to admit is how much of a gamble it all is for teams, tbh. They have so many resources and then screw up in spectacular ways people on the internet spot easily.

I’m just one of the people who thought Boedker was a good idea. That was my “are you drunk?” moment that stands out.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, Cookies, if we went over all the times I've been dead wrong, the thread would crash the database. :laugh: I don't think anyone should be ashamed of that, I just think that we shouldn't rely on the judgement of other fanbases on trades without looking a bit more critically at the trade and trying to set aside our biases as much as possible.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Man, Cookies, if we went over all the times I've been dead wrong, the thread would crash the database. :laugh: I don't think anyone should be ashamed of that, I just think that we shouldn't rely on the judgement of other fanbases on trades without looking a bit more critically at the trade and trying to set aside our biases as much as possible.

on a positive note it doesnt take much to crash the database :sarcasm:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Here’s an idea that just popped into my head...what if JR traded Pettersson and throws JJ in the deal.

Dumo Letang
Matheson Marino
Riikola/POJ UFA signing

I don’t think this is his plan but would people be ok if this happened?
This is what basically needs to happen for our defense to make any sense.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I see more than a few people really wanting to move Petts. And while I get that he's bland, it seems really early to be moving him considering he's only 24 and plays a position and style that typically doesn't peak until later. For comparison, Dumo didn't play more than 10 games in a season until he was the age Petts is now.

Is it that people are giving up moving JJ and so Petts is all that's left? Is there something people see that make them think he won't get better?

Reactions: Giskard

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would probably try to deal Pettersson to the Senators for one of their 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick and then use that 2nd with JJ to dump.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I see more than a few people really wanting to move Petts. And while I get that he's bland, it seems really early to be moving him considering he's only 24 and plays a position and style that typically doesn't peak until later. For comparison, Dumo didn't play more than 10 games in a season until he was the age Petts is now.

Is it that people are giving up moving JJ and so Petts is all that's left? Is there something people see that make them think he won't get better?

I think dissatisfaction with Petts is the feeling that he's overpaid for what he's bringing and that he's regressed a bit. But I agree it's too early to judge him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think it's more so:

1. Matheson ideally slides in as the 2nd pair LD with Marino, which pushes Pettersson down to the 3rd pair.
2. I'd rather trade JJ than Pettersson, but how are you going to be able to do that?
3. If Matheson ends up good, you'll run into a sticky situation with the expansion draft for next year.

I love MP but I'm not sure that keeping him is necessarily the right move here.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I think it's more so:

1. Matheson ideally slides in as the 2nd pair LD with Marino, which pushes Pettersson down to the 3rd pair.
2. I'd rather trade JJ than Pettersson, but how are you going to be able to do that?
3. If Matheson ends up good, you'll run into a sticky situation with the expansion draft for next year.

I love MP but I'm not sure that keeping him is necessarily the right move here.
This is basically it...look at the LD depth and you can see why Petts is the one likely to be traded.

Dumo - the only top pairing LD on the team
Petts - decent and young, could get something in a trade
Riikola - no trade value, likely going to make it through waivers
Matheson - just acquired and no other team will touch the contract
POJ - not exactly NHL ready, but close
JJ- fans don't want, other teams don't either, but JR and Sully like him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden