Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now less Horny. (GMJR is still a moron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I said Petterson could be jettisoned for a pick to afford Jarry. JR wants to trade Horny for Matheson. But, I am worried JR would dump Dumolin instead of Petterson because Petterson is younger, even though we all know Dumolin is the better player.

Oh ok my bad, with all this Hornqvist and possible of a LD (Petts, JJ) trade I figured you were worried about Hornqvist and Dumo for Matheson.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Dumoulin would return real value so who cares.

I don't get why people are so emboldened to a team that has failed miserably two straight years in a row.

I think we are close to contending, but these are the type of hard deals that need to be made.
I care because Dumolin > Petterson. The only thing Petterson has over Dumolin is age. We can't take cap back in a trade of one of our excess LD (in my scenario) because that cap space needs to go to Jarry. So, I'd rather have Dumolin and a lower pick from a Petterson trade instead of Petterson and a 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I care because Dumolin > Petterson. The only thing Petterson has over Dumolin is age. We can't take cap back in a trade of one of our excess LD (in my scenario) because that cap space needs to go to Jarry. So, I'd rather have Dumolin and a lower pick from a Petterson trade instead of Petterson and a 1st.

We have no idea what the potential return for Dumoulin is or what the potential solution is to fill his hole.

Dumoulin is a great defensive defenseman, but he's a dime a dozen in terms of replacing his impact by committee. I'd prefer to keep him, but if we can get a legitimate 3C or a highly touted prospect that is NHL ready for him. Bye!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think this series of images best describes the last few days:

6c5.png

RSPens

May 25, 2015
We have no idea what the potential return for Dumoulin is or what the potential solution is to fill his hole.

Dumoulin is a great defensive defenseman, but he's a dime a dozen in terms of replacing his impact by committee. I'd prefer to keep him, but if we can get a legitimate 3C or a highly touted prospect that is NHL ready for him. Bye!
The problem with trading Dumo is the same problem with trading Rust. At their current contracts they are way more valuable to the team, then what they could get the team in a trade. In order to get the needed cap space, the players that should be traded are in this order:

1) JJ - We can all hope and dream, but from what we have seen and heard, JR and Sully like him...gag me
2) Horny - it hurts but $5.3 is too much for an aging 3rd line winger, he would be more valuable on a team that is weak on RW depth and can use him in the top 6
3) Petts - if JR brings in another expensive LD, something has to give
4) Zucker - decimates the Pens LW depth and we haven't had him for long, but he could have a good return and/or save $5.5M
5) Rust - sell while his value is high, but really you are not going to get any where near Rusts value at $3.5M

Letang could probably be in there somewhere, but then the team does not have a #1D and who knows what season 2 will be like for Marino. Dumo is the only top pairing LD this team has. Petts is good for second pair or 3rd, but no one wants him playing top pair minutes. If the trade goes through, the entire league would laugh if Matheson is on the top pair. We all know what JJ does with Letang, so we can't go there again. Dumo should be more untouchable than Letang in my opinion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem with trading Dumo is the same problem with trading Rust. At their current contracts they are way more valuable to the team, then what they could get the team in a trade. In order to get the needed cap space, the players that should be traded are in this order:

1) JJ - We can all hope and dream, but from what we have seen and heard, JR and Sully like him...gag me
2) Horny - it hurts but $5.3 is too much for an aging 3rd line winger, he would be more valuable on a team that is weak on RW depth and can use him in the top 6
3) Petts - if JR brings in another expensive LD, something has to give
4) Zucker - decimates the Pens LW depth and we haven't had him for long, but he could have a good return and/or save $5.5M
5) Rust - sell while his value is high, but really you are not going to get any where near Rusts value at $3.5M

Letang could probably be in there somewhere, but then the team does not have a #1D and who knows what season 2 will be like for Marino. Dumo is the only top pairing LD this team has. Petts is good for second pair or 3rd, but no one wants him playing top pair minutes. If the trade goes through, the entire league would laugh if Matheson is on the top pair. We all know what JJ does with Letang, so we can't go there again. Dumo should be more untouchable than Letang in my opinion.

This team has failed two years in a row. Why are we protecting players that have failed to deliver a single playoff win on a team built to "win now"?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
This team has failed two years in a row. Why are we protecting players that have failed to deliver a single playoff win on a team built to "win now"?
It's called asset management. Just because the team failed doesn't mean you send out the effective players that are on team friendly contracts. I agree that changes need to be made, but Dumo and Rust are not the problems and moving either of them is not going to bring in a solution.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Why are we trading useful players?

trade Murray.
trade Johnson.
Schultz is gone
Sheary is gone
Marleau is gone

addition by subtraction is GOOD. Get rid of the USELESS.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Why are we trading useful players?

trade Murray.
trade Johnson.
Schultz is gone
Sheary is gone
Marleau is gone

addition by subtraction is GOOD. Get rid of the USELESS.
It's been said a million times now...as much as all of us fans want JJ gone, JR and Sully don't, plus no team wants him. Trading Murray has zero cap savings, no resigning Schultz, Sheary and Marleau has no cap savings.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Great, just effing great. a 31 year old RW who put up 6 goals and 10 assists in 69 games last season. Cooooooooool.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
It's been said a million times now...as much as all of us fans want JJ gone, JR and Sully don't, plus no team wants him. Trading Murray has zero cap savings, no resigning Schultz, Sheary and Marleau has no cap savings.

??? Murr makes 3.75. Idk what Schultz was at. Money is off the books.

You can’t tell me 26 year old Murray has no value and we can’t include JJ in a deal, even with some retention.

JR wants to be a player in FA?? How many more deals is he going to do to wreck this team??

RSPens

May 25, 2015
??? Murr makes 3.75. Idk what Schultz was at. Money is off the books.

You can’t tell me 26 year old Murray has no value and we can’t include JJ in a deal, even with some retention.

JR wants to be a player in FA?? How many more deals is he going to do to wreck this team??
There is no cap savings when you trade a free agent. Without the players you mentioned signing, the Pens only have about $6.5M in cap space and that is before signing Jarry, Simon, Lafferty, Angello and some dumb over priced RD that JR will give $5M for 5 years to.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
There's no question more moves are coming. Should be interesting. I just don't like the term of MM's contract.
It's sure going to make resigning Marino next summer more difficult. Especially if JR signs Tanev or Shattenkirk to over $4M

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's no question more moves are coming. Should be interesting. I just don't like the term of MM's contract.

If MM can improve to a 2nd pairing, puck moving kind of guy that thrives well with Marino, it's not going to be a bad contract at all, regardless of length. If JJ's gone, it's still not great, but I'd rather have Matheson here than JJ for the next 3 years.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Scouting Report for you guys:

Sceviour
Serviceable 4th line RW. He was phenomenal his first two years with the Panthers. Reminded me of Matt Cullen with his ability to drive play on the 4th line--even if the finish wasn't always there. He could skate, defend, carry and handle the puck, battle in the corners...obviously substandard shot and playmaking abilities.
That extra umph has been missing the past two years, and he just kind of looked like a plug. I could see him being re-energized in Pittsburgh fighting for playing time in a contract year. But I'm glad we're moving on from him bc Pysyk has played way better on the 4RW than Colton has.

Matheson (copy and pasted from a post i made a day ago)
Matheson is Kris Letang wearing beer goggles.
His raw skill is something to behold. His skating is in a tier with the best defensemen in the league.
But his decision making, lack of focus, lack of any remote poise, zero discipline and lackadaisicalness in transition (both ways) actively hurts his team in a way that cannot be understated.

He isn't bad like Jack Johnson where he's constantly two steps behind the play and lacks any skill for damage control.
He isn't bad like Marcus Pettersson where he's like a child on stilts who loses every conceivable 1 v 1 battle and just cannot stay in position in the d-zone.

He's a live grenade that can blow open the game for your opponent at any time any way. Unironically wonder if he needs ADHD pills or something.​

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
JR has been an absolute disaster these past few years.
When he came he could do no wrong, now he just can't make 1 good trade :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad