Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now less Horny. (GMJR is still a moron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If MM can improve to a 2nd pairing, puck moving kind of guy that thrives well with Marino, it's not going to be a bad contract at all, regardless of length. If JJ's gone, it's still not great, but I'd rather have Matheson here than JJ for the next 3 years.
For sure, I just don't believe you want contracts for that length of time if they aren't part of the core. I said that when we signed Tanev. I like the player but not the term.

Reactions: Andy99

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It's sure going to make resigning Marino next summer more difficult. Especially if JR signs Tanev or Shattenkirk to over $4M
Do you think pens still go after tanev (arguably $4.5-5M per)?! They now (already) have a lot tied up in 5 of their D. Unless your hoping for a miracle of JJ getting moved out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For sure, I just don't believe you want contracts for that length of time if they aren't part of the core. I said that when we signed Tanev. I like the player but not the term.

Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I kind of agree with pixies that it's not going to matter down the line if our window closes in 3 years and a guy like Tanev or Matherson is still on the roster.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Do you think pens still go after tanev (arguably $4.5-5M per)?! They now (already) have a lot tied up in 5 of their D. Unless your hoping for a miracle of JJ getting moved out.
This is JR we are talking about. He just traded a heart and soul player for an almost $5M dollar braindead, no defence, good skating LD, when he already has Dumo, Petts, JJ(please make him disappear), Riikola, POJ.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
But like. If our window closes in 3 years WITH Horny. Then wonderful, we have an additional 5 mil in cap space. Not a potentially garbage contract for another 3 years to cripple the rebuild.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Horny didn't do anything for the last few years, though. Like he was 5.4 million on the 3rd line and power play and fought with Sid on the bench for some reason. I don't see what he was doing to push us over the edge these last few years when he was younger and faster.

But, y'know. Warrior?

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I can understand that. I guess I kind of agree with pixies that it's not going to matter down the line if our window closes in 3 years and a guy like Tanev or Matherson is still on the roster.
The problem with that sort of mentality is we still have to ice a team beyond that point. And while it's easy to say now about not worrying about the future, when the time comes you want to have some level or degree of preparation.

Reactions: wheelz87

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But like. If our window closes in 3 years WITH Horny. Then wonderful, we have an additional 5 mil in cap space. Not a potentially garbage contract for another 3 years to cripple the rebuild.
That's where I'm at. I don't know just how effective MM will be, but if his hockey IQ is even lower than Letangs regardless of skillset, that concerns me greatly!

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
So since they havnt shaved any capspace what are we doing? Bottom six of mccann/teddy/tanev and zar/laff/new guy?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR has been an absolute disaster these past few years.
When he came he could do no wrong, now he just can't make 1 good trade :-(
We had limitations and constraints due to Hornys NTC. Relative to that I don't think the value is all that bad. My issue is MM's term.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
We had limitations and constraints due to Hornys NTC. Relative to that I don't think the value is all that bad. My issue is MM's term.
My issue is that FLa fans who watch MM is laughing their asses off. He has been garbage and they're elated they managed to dump him.
AND then if he turns out just as bad as he is you're stuck with an ALBATROSS of a contract for 6 MORE years!

Everyone on the board is agreeing, which never happens, that deal is a disaster and that every GM should give JR a call.
But let's all pretend everything is fantastic....

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The really sad thing about this situation is that the most important trade that JR had to do this offseason was trade Murray or Jarry. Instead he moved a 1st and Horny and is the team any better in the end? I don't think so.

AND...GM's are going to be even further low balling JR on Murray, just because they think (know) they can get away with it now.

Reactions: wheelz87

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Well, now we NEED to trade at least one of Petterson and Jack Johnson. Preferably two.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My issue is that FLa fans who watch MM is laughing their asses off. He has been garbage and they're elated they managed to dump him.
AND then if he turns out just as bad as he is you're stuck with an ALBATROSS of a contract for 6 MORE years!

Everyone on the board is agreeing, which never happens, that deal is a disaster and that every GM should give JR a call.

Florida fans haven't watched good defense since 1995-96.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why would be trade a guy we just signed. That almost never happens in the NHL and it sends a bad message to future UFAs
He wasn't a UFA he was an RFA. Also, it gives other teams cost certainty which in theory should increase his value. Keep in mind these aren't normal circumstances.

Reactions: Khelandros

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

My issue with the deal is MM's term. I've stated that as soon as this rumor came to light. Value wise I don't think it's that bad. But I'm not as familiar with these FLA guys as maybe I should be.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
OK, PLEASE check out the panthers forum and look into that trade thread!
They watch MM every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad