Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now less Horny. (GMJR is still a moron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
At this point GMJR has done everything with JMFJ ... he drafted him in Carolina, he traded him to Los Angeles, he signed him as UFA in Pittsburgh ... now the buyout is the only missing piece, unless he can find some sucker to get him.

This is some f***ing Emperor Palpatine shit going on

Reactions: Giskard

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
All in all, at the end of the day, we still have pretty much the same team as last couple of years playing bad uninspired hockey. But we still have what, 15 months until next season starts so I guess something can change between now and then.

UTB8KNzJuyDEXKJk43Oqq6Az3XXay.jpg_640x640.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Interesting idea I had on the main boards: would you do Murray and Johnson for Anisimov?

I guess? Rids the team of JJ, preserves new-MM and MP on defense, and AA only has one year left on his deal. Acquiring a prospect or higher draft pick [in addition to AA] in this deal would be preferred.

Last edited:

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
With the departure of Hörnqvist, I know also contemplate over if there are enough Swedes on the roster to go for another Cup... I don't think there is. We need moar.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Slightly old news, but Minnesota won't be re-signing Mikko Koivu. I wonder if he'd have interest in signing with the Pens for one year in order to chase a Cup. He's not far removed from receiving lots of votes for the Selke.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR has to admit JJ was a mistake in term and has to unload him. At the very least, start making deals that actually work again. Not looking for a steal deal but clearly his last number of moves leave much to be desired. Reading the trade for Marino the scouts and Young had to beg him to bring him in. He is too caught up in his final say vs doing what is best for the franchise. Time for him to go for that very reason. Mario has to have that talk with him and go over the plan and why he is making these deals.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If JJ traded is traded we essentially got younger and faster. Kap replaced Horny and Matheson replaced JJ. The most ideal way of making that happen is JJ + Murray for Tierney and their 28th overall pick. Sign Fast as our 3rd RW and we should be in good shape.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Tierney - Fast
Tanev - TB - Sceviour

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Petts - Maniscalco

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If JJ traded is traded we essentially got younger and faster. Kap replaced Horny and Matheson replaced JJ. The most ideal way of making that happen is JJ + Murray for Tierney and their 28th overall pick. Sign Fast as our 3rd RW and we should be in good shape.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Tierney - Fast
Tanev - TB - Sceviour

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Petts - Maniscalco

Maybe penciling an UDFA rookie d-man into the lineup is a bit hasty.

The odds of him being Marino part 2 is like 1 in 300.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
With Pettersson, Matheson, Riikola, Ruhwedel and Johnson good ol' Jimmy now has 5 bottom pairing defensemen for next season. Just what this team needs. Or 4 and 1 ECHL but whatever.

I will celebrate the departure of Jultz though, no question there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With Pettersson, Matheson, Riikola, Ruhwedel and Johnson good ol' Jimmy now has 5 bottom pairing defensemen for next season. Just what this team needs. Or 4 and 1 ECHL but whatever.

I will celebrate the departure of Jultz though, no question there.

I just do not understand now the resigning of Riikola and Rudwedel, or rather having signed both. One or the other, perhaps but looking at the number we have now, something has got to give. Best case is JJ as we all know.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
GMJR has to admit JJ was a mistake in term and has to unload him. At the very least, start making deals that actually work again. Not looking for a steal deal but clearly his last number of moves leave much to be desired. Reading the trade for Marino the scouts and Young had to beg him to bring him in. He is too caught up in his final say vs doing what is best for the franchise. Time for him to go for that very reason. Mario has to have that talk with him and go over the plan and why he is making these deals.

People who think we can get anything back for JJ are cray cray...gonna cost us a pricy asset...no one is going to take him with Murray, who comes with his own issues...

just buy JJ out...it’s not very costly for the Pens and he should not be playing if JR wants to employ a more mobile defense, as he seems to be heading for with this Horny trade...

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I don't know if its really a good idea, but the Pens now have a lot of money tied up in LD. What if the Pens were to move both JJ and MM with Petts as a sweetener to the devils for a drastically retained Zajac and picks. NJ needs LD and a goalie. This way Riikola can be the 3rd LD and then JR can go out and get a RD like he is rumored to be looking at. Personally I would prefer for him to target Shattenkirk, but we know he wants Tanev. I don't know, just trying to get a read on JR...maybe I shouldn't even try to figure out his senile old brain.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I just do not understand now the resigning of Riikola and Rudwedel, or rather having signed both. One or the other, perhaps but looking at the number we have now, something has got to give. Best case is JJ as we all know.

I can sort of justify both in a vacuum, Riikola certainly has shown a good toolbox (and I'll stand by that) and Ruhwedel always does his job and can skate. But not in combination with Jimmy's other decisions.

But really when your team stinks up the place and defense is a big part of that, you sign Riikola as a rabbit in the box for potential as a number 7 and that's it.

Why do we have Ruhwedel and Riikola when the bottom pairing is now Matheson and the amazing Johnson? At the same time we have vanilla bottom pair Pettersson on the second pair? Or let's mix it up and have Marino babysit the amazing Johnson with bottom pairs Pettersson and Matheson as the middle pair?

Oh my excitement for next year...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Slightly old news, but Minnesota won't be re-signing Mikko Koivu. I wonder if he'd have interest in signing with the Pens for one year in order to chase a Cup. He's not far removed from receiving lots of votes for the Selke.

Are there indications that he wants to sign somewhere or is he thinking retirement?

One thing that's been bouncing around in my head lately is Dumoulin. He didn't look great after coming back from the cut ankle tendon and he didn't look great in the play in. That said, I think he still holds some tremendous value as a dman but part of me is wondering if it isn't a Whitney moment where we can swap him out for an impact player just in case this injury turns out to be a downturn in ability.

I'm wondering if there isn't a stud 3C out there with 2C potential (and likely) that he can be swapped for. Certainly risky and it would depend on Pettersson being able to fill a role.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kappy
McCann-TRADE-XXXX
Sceviour-Bleuger-Tanev

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Best 3rd pairing available (JJ, Riikola, Rudwedel, Maniscalco, UFA, etc)

Just a thought.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So one thing to think about with all the Dmen is the Seattle expansion draft...Letang has to be protected...if we want to go 7 forwards and 3 D, the Pens would be exposing one of Matheson, Dumo or Petts to be taken free of charge...(JJ obviously will be exposed regardless)...therefore if you don’t want to lose those 3, do you trade Dumo or Petts now, or Letang? You know the new guy won’t be exposed if he plays well for the Pens this year (assuming there is a season before the draft)....they can’t go 4-4 really because too many good forwards will be left unprotected since G and Sid must be protected...you don’t want to lose a top 6 forward for nothing....again, these are tough problems...I see JR having to pay a very nice asset to get Seattle to take someone like JJ

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Are there indications that he wants to sign somewhere or is he thinking retirement?

One thing that's been bouncing around in my head lately is Dumoulin. He didn't look great after coming back from the cut ankle tendon and he didn't look great in the play in. That said, I think he still holds some tremendous value as a dman but part of me is wondering if it isn't a Whitney moment where we can swap him out for an impact player just in case this injury turns out to be a downturn in ability.

I'm wondering if there isn't a stud 3C out there with 2C potential (and likely) that he can be swapped for. Certainly risky and it would depend on Pettersson being able to fill a role.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kappy
McCann-TRADE-XXXX
Sceviour-Bleuger-Tanev

Pettersson-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Best 3rd pairing available (JJ, Riikola, Rudwedel, Maniscalco, UFA, etc)

Just a thought.
I like Pettersson, but from what I have seen he is not capable of being a top pair D man. However, I don't recall seeing him get much time with Letang and if Matheson and Marino work, the ice time of the top pair can be reduced.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If we can find a way to get JJ and his salary we are actually in a pretty good cap spot.

assuming Murray is gone and Jarry comes in at 3.5 and Simon and ZAR in RFA limbo ( not included here) we could have about 6million with 3 roster spots

2 wingers and a RHD assuming one wing spot will be a approx 1m whether its ZAR or Poulin etc. we COULD have 5ish for an rhd and a 3rd line winger

we just have to have a miracle and get rid of the wart.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
So one thing to think about with all the Dmen is the Seattle expansion draft...Letang has to be protected...if we want to go 7 forwards and 3 D, the Pens would be exposing one of Matheson, Dumo or Petts to be taken free of charge...(JJ obviously will be exposed regardless)...therefore if you don’t want to lose those 3, do you trade Dumo or Petts now, or Letang? You know the new guy won’t be exposed if he plays well for the Pens this year (assuming there is a season before the draft)....they can’t go 4-4 really because too many good forwards will be left unprotected since G and Sid must be protected...you don’t want to lose a top 6 forward for nothing....again, these are tough problems...I see JR having to pay a very nice asset to get Seattle to take someone like JJ
Regardless of how the season goes, the current plan has to be Letang, Dumo and Petts protected, but I really don't think it will matter because I can't see the Pens going into the season with over $16M tied up in LD. Something has to give and it will probably be Petts...but if we are lucky it will be JJ or at the very least JJ with Petts as the sweetener to a team that currently only has 1 LD under contract (Devils)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Regardless of how the season goes, the current plan has to be Letang, Dumo and Petts protected, but I really don't think it will matter because I can't see the Pens going into the season with over $16M tied up in LD. Something has to give and it will probably be Petts...but if we are lucky it will be JJ or at the very least JJ with Petts as the sweetener to a team that currently only has 1 LD under contract (Devils)

I just don’t think we’ll be able to clear $7.25 mil in LD salary while getting no salary back...every team, even those who don’t have current cap issues, wants to keep costs to a minimum next year

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Let's just all agree to appeal to authority to not upset ronsomeguyshair. JR totally knows what he's doing even though he admitadily doesn't know the rules of the NHL when trying to re-acquire Hagelin.

Hurr durr look at me i'm a Pejorative Slur and I know what I'm doing.

Lol, double plus to this board for that edit, hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad