Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now less Horny. (GMJR is still a moron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let's please try to be kind in this thread :)

Speaking of being kind, TMZ is reporting that you tracked down good ol' JR to dissuade him from any further talk involving Patric Hornqvist. They claim this is the video of the end of your conversation . . .

ParallelUnevenCutworm-size_restricted.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rust -> Pageau
Letang -> PK Subban to the Deivls
McCann -> Coleman
Matt Murray -> Robin Lehner to VGK or Bishop to Stars
Pettersson -> Maatta
Hornqvist -> Lucic to the Flames / Backes to Bruins
JJ-> None

Sorry if you didn't want to be depressed.

I’m not sure I agree with McCann and Murray’s value but whatever, it’s weird....thanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust -> Pageau
Letang -> PK Subban to the Deivls
McCann -> Coleman
Matt Murray -> Robin Lehner to VGK or Bishop to Stars
Pettersson -> Maatta
Hornqvist -> Lucic to the Flames / Backes to Bruins
JJ-> None

Sorry if you didn't want to be depressed.

And yet people think that Hornqvist for Matheson is selling low on Hornqvist :laugh:

One comment I'll make, comparing a Murray trade to Bishop to Dallas doesn't make sense. Bishop's UFA rights were traded to Dallas. I can see the Lehner trade being a decent baseline for what Murray would bring back (replacement goalie, prospect and a 2nd), but the Bishop trade doesn't make sense as a comparison.

If the writer meant Bishop to LA, I'd agree with that more. That was basically Cernak and Budaj for a rental Bishop, which seems comparable in value to what Lehner got back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And yet people think that Hornqvist for Matheson is selling low on Hornqvist :laugh:

One comment I'll make, comparing a Murray trade to Bishop to Dallas doesn't make sense. Bishop's UFA rights were traded to Dallas. I can see the Lehner trade being a decent baseline for what Murray would bring back (replacement goalie, prospect and a 2nd), but the Bishop trade doesn't make sense as a comparison.

They argue that cap constraints and the fact Murray has effectively been replaced is why that value could be so low. I don't agree either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They argue that cap constraints and the fact Murray has effectively been replaced is why that value could be so low. I don't agree either.

Yeah, I think that's just a bad take. The cap constraints is one thing, but Murray "effectively being replaced" is totally irrelevant here. You see expendable players dumped for value all of the time. Hell, Maatta last off-season was traded for Kahun and he was a healthy scratch for the Penguins in the playoffs last year.

I think comparing it to Bishop to Dallas just doesn't make sense. Now, if the writer meant Bishop to LA, which was basically Budaj and Cernak for Bishop, I think that's a fair comparison. But comparing Murray's RFA rights to Bishop's UFA rights is pretty far off.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I think that's just a bad take. The cap constraints is one thing, but Murray "effectively being replaced" is totally irrelevant here. You see expendable players dumped for value all of the time. Hell, Maatta last off-season was traded for Kahun and he was a healthy scratch for the Penguins in the playoffs last year.

I think comparing it to Bishop to Dallas just doesn't make sense. Now, if the writer meant Bishop to LA, which was basically Budaj and Cernak for Bishop, I think that's a fair comparison. But comparing Murray's RFA rights to Bishop's UFA rights is pretty far off.

The argument was that if Lehner deal was available they would have pulled the trigger already.

It's Gentille so it isn't like this isn't just a fluff piece. I like Gentille as a writer, but definitely the least connected and more of a Wysh than a beat writer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The argument was that if Lehner deal was available they would have pulled the trigger already.

Which is also a nonsensical argument :laugh:

That's the kind of argument that fans on HFBoards use. Considering the rumored ask JR had from Edmonton was a mid 1st round pick, why does anyone think that JR would jump at a 2nd and a prospect this early? Accepting that at the draft is one thing, but JR doesn't really get much of a benefit by taking that right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Which is also a nonsensical argument :laugh:

That's the kind of argument that fans on HFBoards use. Considering the rumored ask JR had from Edmonton was a mid 1st round pick, why does anyone think that JR would jump at a 2nd and a prospect this early? Accepting that at the draft is one thing, but JR doesn't really get much of a benefit by taking that right now.

I guess. I don't know. I think Murray would have been moved now if we could get a couple 2nds for him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Writer makes a point I agree with : :laugh: at all you idiots who don't agree

Same writer makes a point I disagree with : Well, that's just a bad take.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Writer makes a point I agree with : :laugh: at all you idiots who don't agree

Same writer makes a point I disagree with : Well, that's just a bad take.

I was making a joke that Hornqvist for Matheson is better than what Lucic and Backes went for. I think comparing Hornqvist to Lucic or Backes is also bad. Matheson for Hornqvist is bad for Hornqvist, but the Lucic or Backes deals would be an entire level worse than Matheson for Hornqvist.

But I think Gentile's valuation is more on the pessimistic side. Is he "wrong"? Impossible to say, but it would definitely seem like bad situations for that to be true.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess. I don't know. I think Murray would have been moved now if we could get a couple 2nds for him.

My guess is that JR has some okay offers for Murray probably in the range of a 2nd or a 2nd and a prospect, but he's holding out for a 1st or 2 high 2nds. There's no need to make a trade before the draft, so if he thinks he can get the Avs 1st from the Avs, the Islanders 1st from the Senators or Ottawa's 2nd and a late 2nd from the Senators, why not wait?

I think that's just a massive logical jump to make and it seems to be a really pessimistic interpretation of the current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad