Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Does Gardiner even sign here for that deal if we had space? Seriously wondering.

But man how effective would this blueline be:
Dumo-Letang
Gardiner-Schultz
Pettersson-Guds

Maybe not a ton of big names, but it would be so effective.

Sure we can say that all day with any player. We never know if a player would have signed with the Pens, but not even being in the position to make the move guarantees it won't happen. Plus, Pens are still a playoff team with cup potential, so they should be on the shortlist and had an obvious need.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Said it all year long that the best thing JR could do was shed cash any and every way that you can...
...he not only didn't do that(ok Olli was leaving anyway) but then he signs Tanev on July.1...

He just can't help himself folks and the bogging up of the cap is whats gonna push Sid/G/Tanger's hopes of another run further and further away.

At this point, you just hope they can find some mix of 6D that can mesh very well with the revamped forwards so you can compete and maybe beat top teams.

Reactions: Andy99

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
This offseason did have a really promising start with the Maatta trade.

Just most everything since...

DefiantPracticalCottontail-small.gif

Reactions: KIRK and BHD

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Either Pens need a new capologist or GMJR just maxs out the cap no matter what. He treats every year as a one time consideration with a limited view of the value of cap flexibility. He has two contracts that are tough in JJ and Horny. Hopefully Horny is good to go this year. JJ is basically untradable with 4 years left unless they eat 2 million over 4 years to make it more attractive. Cap not going up to 83 million was hard for many teams.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Either Pens need a new capologist or GMJR just maxs out the cap no matter what. He treats every year as a one time consideration with a limited view of the value of cap flexibility. He has two contracts that are tough in JJ and Horny. Hopefully Horny is good to go this year. JJ is basically untradable with 4 years left unless they eat 2 million over 4 years to make it more attractive. Cap not going up to 83 million was hard for many teams.

Hornqvist’s contract was fine. If injuries destroy him, that’s a risk I’m willing to take given what he brings to the team.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Just a reminder. If anyone wants to take a break from the bellyaching, the prospect tourney is about to start. No stream as far as I know for this one, but play by play on twitter.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah unless Gardiner’s game goes to total shit, ala Lucic, that’s still a good value deal.

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There is a reason why he signed for that, he’s not doing charity for Tom Dundon. Not saying I’m not jealous, but I’m also not gonna pretend to know the details of his situation.

It’s the kind of deal where you have to ask why 20 other teams didn’t sign him for that, not just your own.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As I said earlier in the summer, this year's relative cap crunch meant some players were going to have to sign for less than historical market value. JR had an opportunity to take a look at that after moving Maatta and Kessel. Instead, he chose to dump money into a good, but overpriced depth player leaving the biggest gap on the roster (another puck mover and potential Schultz replacement in a year) wide open.

30 other GM's didn't get Gardiner, so I am not making a huge deal out of this, but it was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that some players were going to be signed for relative bargains.

And he could have just as easily mitigated that by moving Rust. This isn't just on JR for signing Tanev.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Let’s easily mitigate things by giving away the better talent for a 3rd liner.

But the team would have still been better and different than when the offseason started. There’s more to this than incompetence league wide, but it is disappointing to see that number for sure.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That Gardiner contract is such a steal that there is no way that Carolina would have problems moving him. He's no less movable than CDH was when the Canes moved him earlier in the off-season.

This is one contract where it's totally valid to complain about JR signing Johnson and Tanev. Gardiner's contract is great value and Gardiner would have filled a massive need here.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
There is a reason why he signed for that, he’s not doing charity for Tom Dundon. Not saying I’m not jealous, but I’m also not gonna pretend to know the details of his situation.

It’s the kind of deal where you have to ask why 20 other teams didn’t sign him for that, not just your own.

I'm not sure if it's as bad as you think and I'm only saying that because there are more than a handful of teams dealing with signing their own RFA's. Gardiner needed to get on a team with the season starting.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The cap obviously had something to do with this. Maybe he's got injury scares, but look at his track record and the track record of UFA dmen that have offensive acumen like him. This is a bizarre offseason where the cap didn't appreciate enough based on recent contracts and a ton of marquee RFA's teams are focused on. UFA's this summer generally got less than they otherwise would after the initial wave of craziness. There weren't many teams out there able to take advantage of this type of deal that Gardiner would be willing to go to (or at least that's one reading of the situation).

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Carolina needs to shed salary now, not gain it right?
To CAR: Rust $3.500
To PIT: Faulk $4.833
CAR gains $1.333

To ANA: Schultz $5.500
Johnson $3.250
To PIT: Eaves $3.15
Guhle $.698

PIT gains a total of $3.569, enough for a Petterson long term deal.

*Available Cap Space $3.412 before Pettersson signing.
Eaves to LTIR

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Malkin Galchenyuk
Simon Bjugstad Hornqvist
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Johnson

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson* Faulk
Rikola Gudbranson
Guhle Ruhwedel

Murray
DeSmith